Brass fitting came out (fuel line)

99'busa

Donating Member
Registered
When changing fuel line AGAIN, the male fitting on tank (return line) slid out. I'm not sure what type of adhesive to use. Brass to brass for a fuel line.

I'm no plumber and this is probably a simple answer for a plumber.

shoot. this should hve been in busa probs. my bad. hopefully it will be answered and fall to the bottm of the abyss very soon:thumbsup:

shouldnt that have been soldered? any adhesive would be likely to have gasoline issues..

not threaded? (teflon tape for threaded fuel fittings)

shouldnt that have been soldered? any adhesive would be likely to have gasoline issues..

not threaded? (teflon tape for threaded fuel fittings)

no threads. I figured its because there is no preasure to speak of. but no its a smooth male and female fitting. It had a white in color material that was holding it in there. I'm assuming similar to pvc glue.

I would call Daniel (GoldenChild) or someone else really familiar with custom builds.. I would think that a press fit would be a factory swedge and not something you want to do yourself.. (if it fails you have a big firey bomb)

If it is something you can do yourself he might know.. (my guess is the white stuff is teflon based)

I would call Daniel (GoldenChild) or someone else really familiar with custom builds.. I would think that a press fit would be a factory swedge and not something you want to do yourself.. (if it fails you have a big firey bomb)

If it is something you can do yourself he might know.. (my guess is the white stuff is teflon based)

ya I was thinking teflon type of material myself. The piece that came out looks like a fitting you can pick up at any hardware store. So I wouldn't think it would have to be pressed in so to speak. I'll take a quick pic. of it just for grins so you see what I see.

this is the piece

2879560191_4b00075936_b.jpg

Last edited:
solder....looks sort of like it came apart before and someone patched it together.
it needs soldered back together...

Radiator shops do this but most wont touch a tank that has not been tanked... you need a high power gun/flux and solder...not the combo/flux&solder..

Oh and nice photo focus btw... :)

solder....looks sort of like it came apart before and someone patched it together.
it needs soldered back together...

Radiator shops do this but most wont touch a tank that has not been tanked... you need a high power gun/flux and solder...not the combo/flux&solder..

Oh and nice photo focus btw... :)

O GREAT! It doesnt look like it's ever been soldered though.

this is pics with no fitting, fitting half way in , and fitting all the way in

2880454138_56e6af5222_b.jpg

2880454998_d3e1befb85_b.jpg

2880456028_c9ce6a7a5b_b.jpg

That's a press fit fitting. I had mine come out on me when I reinstalled my motor, I just put it back in and have had no problems. I personally would think that a teflon or sealant will make it impossible to seat properly. I'd give it a couple of taps with a hammer and a wood block to protect it, lightly. By the way, what the hell happened to that tank, was it under water?

Turbo is right, that is not a solder joint I bet.. Looks to be some kind of cast metal and press fit.. I would get some jb weld and put it at about half way on the nipple side (do not want any in the tank) and then whack the thing together.. I would be nervous about a straight "press" fit that had come apart before.. (may be just fine but if it came out on you, it could do it while riding and that is bad)

Would appear that it was fixed once before if it already had teflon sealant on it..

they sure did a lousy masking job on that tank.. hope the inside looks better..

That's a press fit fitting. I had mine come out on me when I reinstalled my motor, I just put it back in and have had no problems. I personally would think that a teflon or sealant will make it impossible to seat properly. I'd give it a couple of taps with a hammer and a wood block to protect it, lightly. By the way, what the hell happened to that tank, was it under water?

Sounds simple enough. The tank has had 2 paint jobs and no one masked the bottom. Thanks turbo:thumbsup:

Turbo is right, that is not a solder joint I bet.. Looks to be some kind of cast metal and press fit.. I would get some jb weld and put it at about half way on the nipple side (do not want any in the tank) and then whack the thing together.. I would be nervous about a straight "press" fit that had come apart before.. (may be just fine but if it came out on you, it could do it while riding and that is bad)

Would appear that it was fixed once before if it already had teflon sealant on it..

a little jb weld sure never hurt anything:thumbsup:

I'll do that.

keep it at least a 1/4 inch from the open side that goes in the fitting.. do not want any of it getting in to fuel system..

Yeah, if your worried about it coming out after you reinstall it, get some jb weld or 5 min epoxy and blob some on it, shouldn't come out after that.

keep it at least a 1/4 inch from the open side that goes in the fitting.. do not want any of it getting in to fuel system..

no doubt. I was thinking of just putting the fitting in and jb welding it from the outside. If I put any on the male part it would be 1/8" at most.

It seems like there would be some sort of brass to brass sealant to help hold it a bit.???

Yeah, if your worried about it coming out after you reinstall it, get some jb weld or 5 min epoxy and blob some on it, shouldn't come out after that.

5 min. epoxy would be another good choice. I just used the last of that though aobut an hour ago. But I should have some jb out there somewhere. If I dont then I'll buy whatever is cheaper at the store :agree:

no doubt. I was thinking of just putting the fitting in and jb welding it from the outside. If I put any on the male part it would be 1/8" at most.

It seems like there would be some sort of brass to brass sealant to help hold it a bit.???

I know Loctite makes a press fit bearing sealant. It's their green product.

Back