Update on my engine meltdown.

GMbusa

Orange is the fastest
Donating Member
Registered
Last Sunday my Busa engine went lean at highspeed and burned a piston. Well I tore the engine topend down and found a severly melted no3 piston and detonation markings on the other 3pistons. The heat was bad enough that it started burning through to the other cylinder. I need Piston&Rods, Jug and a head. I guess if your gonna do something, do it big!

Here's the carnage. :banghead:

Burnt1.jpg

burnt2.jpg

burnt3.jpg

burnt4.jpg

burnt5.jpg

Lack of fuel and alot of forced induction. A crappy dyno tune will do it also.

The head is repairable, and the cylinder should be also!

Mike1180, that's to be determined. I have a good tuner in NC I'm gonna take the bike to. I tried a shop closer to my house but I'm not happy with the results.

A number of things can cause this, injector failure, kinked fuel line, bad tune, to name a few.

Last edited:
John, the pics don't show the 1/8inch gouge in the metal. I know it probly could be repaired as well as the head, but it's as cheap to go with parts that have no damage. Plus, this head has been through 5-6 overheat conditions with the previous turbo and I'd rather just go with another.

Ahhh....the extreme internal chamber dynamics......LOVE IT !!!! That kind of heat, to me, borders on plasma when you're feeding fuel, it ain't enough, and everything is just smokin' hot.....I've blown motors where the carnage looked worse than that. Build it again, tune it proper, you'll be makin' a stand in no time !!! Forced induction has a way of changing the rules a bit. That day's atmosphere can change everything......... :super:

hehe..I blame the FRAM!

no, seriously...a lean top end is a bad placed to be....time to call the boys at APE and get back on the road!
good-luck :beerchug:

I know the reason for this FMU's are pieces of junk do yourself a favor and upgrade to a plenum with secondary injectors or always run race gas and a aqua mist setup for high speed runs good luck with your rebuild been there done that.

I'm pretty darn certain its the crap raisin rate FMU.
I second the vote for secondaries. However plenum and cooler isnt neccesary for your stage 1 applications. Kinda overkill IMO.
Those FMU's are EXTREMELY notorious for spiking/starving at the wrong time. Rick really sells a good product but unfortunately the FMU's leave the consumer with much more to buy. Secondaries and Megasquirt is what you should take a look at (cut out the tuner and stop waisting your money)
Shoot me a PM if oyu need any help with it bro.

Back