Help! touring a Busa tips...

bjewell

Registered
Friend just took off with two friends on their Geezer Glides for a two-week trip. Headin north and east from Sacramento. I have two weeks and some cash and my Big Red.

I've read about the Buell mod and etc, but what are some good cheap ways to take the pain out of 400-mile days on a stock Bus? Cheap and servicable tank bags, good shoes/boots, etc? Hump or seat??

Thanks in advance!

Tq

not much "cheap" stuff that really works IME..

Bar risers (DR1300R) are not bad and help a ton
Corbin Seat/s (not cheap at all $175-$600)
Almost any tank bag (not bad at all)
Venture rack ($200-$250)
Buell pegs ($35 DIY)
HeliBars ($150?)

Seat and pegs are the items I found to be the best investments and then my cruise control

I don't like the throttle locks. I use a Cramp Buster for long trips.

What type of gear do you ride with? Leathers or Textile?

I'd like to ride about 800 miles one way -- say up to Seattle. I'll stay in motels, etc. I fit the bike perfectly because I'm 5'7", about the same size as the guys who built the bike.

But my knees really hurt aftet 100 miles or so. I'm not in a hurry, I can stop. But I want the trip t be enjoyable. And I love my 07 Busa. I think it might not be the prettiest color scheme (red), but it is a hell of a bike. I prefer the 99 -- 07 bikes to anything else, just want to ride without pain... -L-

Tq

I will not leave on a trip with out my Aerostich Roadcrafter. I wear Held Steve Gloves as well. Invest in all of the parts that connect your body to the bike.

I want to put in cruise control, but a bagster tank bag and HIDs are first on the list. I have a commuter bike, the Busa is my touring rig.

buell or at least GSXR pegs.. bar risers.. heated grips.. double bubble screen.. 18t counter sprocket.. I use a tail bag on the passenger seat... and a tourmaster synergy heated vest.

Buell pegs are a must then.

What to take definitely depends on the type of gear you ride with.

Take light, durable rain gear.
Get some thin synthetic fishing glove liners. They're cheap and will provide some warmth if it gets chilly.
Saddle bags are good to carry your clothes while helping to keep the CG lower than a backpack or tail pack.
Get a simple flat repair kit and tire pump. It could be the difference in being stuck or enjoying the ride.
Aleve for the knees.
Flash light.

And don't forget to take lots of pictures and have fun.

I use a Cortech magnetized mini tankbag and a 24" seatbag behind me on the seat. Good for a week to ten days. I found extended 'bungee bolts' at a hardware store so my heavy bungee cords and net have a secure hold (and) the paintwork doesn't get touched. I have ridden throughout the northwest and just returned from a 2,604 mile ride out to the Grand Canyon and back. Works great! I also have a HD Throttlemeister friction device and LOVE it! Get a, Quick Stand for lubing the chain on the road after each day's ride, and the best towing service around...just in case,

http://www.motorcycleradar.com/quick_stand.htm

http://www.rvroadhelp.com/rvroadhelp/

and I wouldn't EVER tour w/o my

https://store.valentine1.com/store/default.asp?category=defensegear

Also, the Nelson Rigg "Its not just a bike" cover in XL fits like a glove, w/or w/o the hump.

DSCN0376Medium.jpg

DSCN0380Medium.jpg

DSCN0437Medium.jpg

that last shot is great. just like me going back to Sacramento today
thumb_up.gif

Venture rack ($200-$250)
Buell pegs ($35 DIY)
HeliBars ($150?)

Seat and pegs are the items I found to be the best investments and then my cruise control
what are the DR1300R risers?

Okay, dumb questions II... -L- I assume you buy the Buell pegs at the local Harley dealer. How about installation? DIY or Suzuki?

And for you Sactown guys -- is Suicycle THE shop to buy stuff? Seems like a nice owner.

Thanks!

Here's my "Full Dresser Busa":

FullDresserHayabusa.jpg

Only mods:

Foamy grips.

The bags aren't really a mod... well, anyway... they're Nelson-Rigg.

Just got back from our vacation. Michigan -> NC -> Deal's Gap -> Michigan

Week and a half total away from the house. Wifey takes some stuff on her Harley in her saddlebags (about the size of mine) and her tailbag, but the Busa carries most of the stuff since the tailbag is HUGE and she doesn't have a tank bag.

This is one of those cases where the search button is your freind. Do a search for touring here on the forum and I bet you get a lot of info. In addition to the buell peg mod mentioned above a good set of Bicycle shorts and Electric grip heaters are two major bang for the buck items that don't cost much at all and make life in the saddle a lot more pleasant! Grip heaters are a complete no brainer at less than $30.

Only touring mods are Double Bubble screen and a Vista Cruise throttle lock. Easily average 400-500 mile days.
Ventura luggage works great!
thumb_up.gif

Picture_007.jpg

Venture rack ($200-$250)
Buell pegs ($35 DIY)
HeliBars ($150?)

what are the DR1300R risers?
DR1300R is a member here that whips out the bar risers for members, just PM him..

The Buell pegs are a must for us guys with knees that ache.. (I also take a bottle of advil with me on all trips, I usually take a couple before a day that is going to be 500 or more miles)

Okay, dumb questions II... -L-  I assume you buy the Buell pegs at the local Harley dealer.  How about installation?  DIY or Suzuki?

And for you Sactown guys -- is Suicycle THE shop to buy stuff?  Seems like a nice owner.  

Thanks!
bought before at suicycle seeems like a straight up place

you know they just opened a mega cycleworld on date Ave. and Madison next to Hwy 80

Back