Warranty issue

Rhythm

http://www.youtube.com/us
Donating Member
Registered
Okay guys,heres a follow up. I just recieved my SIDI Discovery boot back from Motonation, Distributor for SIDI boot in the US. Here's a link to my previous post on the subject
https://www.hayabusa.org/forums/?act=ST;f=6;t=95913;hl=

I'm in the process of trying to contact SIDI directly. In my previous post I posted a couple of photos. Some of you guys here agreed the boot was damaged by dragging based on the earlier photos.
Well, here are more close up detail photos showing the boot being positioned on the bike and with a doublt will verify how the damaged occured. I will also go as far to say due to area of contact the problem eventually was going to happen. However my primary complaint is that the problem occured too soon for this boot. The boot has a yr warranty and has only been used as intended. Call it bad workmanship, bad material being used or just a fluke.  
rock.gif
" The boot (Sidi Discovery) failed during the time of warranty for purposes it was built and used for ".

DSC01563.jpg

DSC01564.jpg

DSC01566.jpg

DSC01574.jpg

DSC01571.jpg

With you guys support and honest opions I plan on fowarding this to SIDI directly.

Thanks

For now, be warned if you're deciding to purchase a SIDI Discovery boot. I'll keep you guys posted on the outcome with SIDI.

i dunno about the other stuff, seems the boot issue is a little premature, however WTF is that pink stuff in your frame bolt
SHOCKED.gif

Are you having some difficulty in just moving your foot back an inch?  Looks like a foot placement issue.  Why do you have your foot in a location where it hits your shifter or brake lever?  I say move your foot or get some adjustable rearsets.

I have SIDI B-2 boots and consciously place my foot as not to touch anything but the pegs when I ride. Also that's not made for sportbike riding...it's made for adventure/off road bikes.

Are you having some difficulty in just moving your foot back an inch?  Looks like a foot placement issue.  Why do you have your foot in a location where it hits your shifter or brake lever?  I say move your foot or get some adjustable rearsets.
+1 not to mention that that boot looks like it was designed for Dirt bikes and not street riding why not get yourself a set of Sidi's sport boots I sure they will fair allot better.

I had to add this I just looked at your other post and YEP those are Motocross boots why would you want to wear those on a street bike get something that is designed for what you are doing some thing like this

Sidi.jpg

I have SIDI B-2 boots and conciously place my foot as not to touch nothing but the pegs when I ride.  Are those even a proper boot for sportbike riding...looks like they are made for adventure/off road bikes.
I don't ride with my foot in this exact location. The photo is to show exactly where the contact is being made with the boot in relation with gear shifter or how the problem occured. I've been riding since 86 and I too have other boots I've used with no problems. This is the first pair this has every happen. So I'm very sure it's not my riding style.

These boot are designed for street and light off road use,not adventure or total off road use.

+1 not to mention that that boot looks like it was designed for Dirt bikes and not street riding why not get yourself a set of Sidi's sport boots I sure they will fair allot better.

I had to add this I just looked at your other post and YEP those are Motocross boots why would you want to wear those on a street bike get something that is designed for what you are doing some thing like this
During the time of purchasing the description stated not for full off road use. The language has change since(upgraded) to adventure off road use.
rock.gif
If the boot was designed for off road use then surely theres a problem with the workmanship or materials if the boot has prematurely failed so soon from rubbing my gear shifter.
rock.gif
rock.gif
rock.gif
rock.gif

Another suggestion would be a design flaw. In the photo you posted the gear pad wraps the entire front portion of the toe down to the sole. I feel if SIDI Discovery boot gear pad was positioned exactly as the pad in the photo the problem would not have occured

rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

Notice how the gear protector completely covers the toe area and is sewn into the sole on the bottom of the boot in the photo below. Designed not to catch the gear shifter.

post-6-21398-Sidi.jpg

The Sidi Discovery gear protector lip is not. Leaving it exposed to catch the gear shifter. Which caused the problem, not my riding style or choice of boot.

I understand what you are saying but Motocross and street riding are 2 differnt animals and foot placement on the pegs is slightly different as well which could be the reason this happened that is why I was saying go with a boot that is better designed for the riding you are doing

I understand what you are saying but Motocross and street riding are 2 differnt animals and foot placement on the pegs is slightly different as well which could be the reason this happened that is why I was saying go with a boot that is better designed for the riding you are doing
I appreciate your input,partna. However I ride long distance and like to wear my boots for walking as well. I know the two boots are designed for different purposes. The StreetMC boots basically provied more crash protection and ankle support, which I don't need or was looking for in a boot. I wanted a comfortable MC boot that was built to weather the storm ("weather and wear and tear").
sadnews.gif

Notice how the gear protector completely covers the toe area and is sewn into the sole on the bottom of the boot in the photo below. Designed not to catch the gear shifter.

post-6-21398-sidi.jpg

The Sidi Discovery gear protector lip is not. Leaving it exposed to catch the gear shifter. Which caused the problem, not my riding style or choice of boot.
Not trying to be a PITA brother, but it is your riding style/foot position and choice of boot that are BOTH causing the problem. What is your toe doing rubbing the shifter so much? Unless your shifting your peg should be under the balls of your feet/boot not back to where your toe constantly rubs the shifter which is obviously happening otherwise your boot wouldn't wear like that. Also shift position is different on an off-road bike which is what the boot was designed for.

Last edited by a moderator:
I gave you my opinion (and suggestions) in your other thread. I still think that it's going to be easy for them to dispute a warranty claim.

The first and second pix tell the tale. If you submit them to SIDI, it's gonna be a double-edged sword. They may nail you on foot position, and question your using those particular boots for street riding.

I really hope that you can get the issue resolved in your favor. The sooner you get it resolved, the sooner you can move on.

As you have the strength of your convictions, I support you 100% in your efforts.
beerchug.gif

I gave you my opinion (and suggestions) in your other thread. I still think that it's going to be easy for them to dispute a warranty claim.

The first and second pix tell the tale. If you submit them to SIDI, it's gonna be a double-edged sword. They may nail you on foot position, and question your using those particular boots for street riding.

I really hope that you can get the issue resolved in your favor. The sooner you get it resolved, the sooner you can move on.

As you have the strength of your convictions, I support you 100% in your efforts.
beerchug.gif
Thanks for the support,Champ. However I can't see how SIDI can come to the conclusion the problem occured or to justify the boot was dragged as suggested by Motonation Reps. Also, No negative response was given by Motonation when they asked what type of bike I rode. Only that the boot appeared to be dragged and that by removing the metal sole plate which would have prevented the damage. Not true, the metal sole gaurd is an inch away from the area damage and provide protection for the sole.

Well see!

post-6-21398-Sidi.jpg

The Sidi Discovery gear protector lip is not. Leaving it exposed to catch the gear shifter. Which caused the problem,  not my riding style or choice of boot.
Not trying to be a PITA brother, but it is your riding style/foot position and choice of boot that are BOTH causing the problem.  What is your toe doing rubbing the shifter so much?  Unless your shifting your peg should be under the balls of your feet/boot not back to where your toe constantly rubs the shifter which is obviously happening otherwise your boot wouldn't wear like that.  Also shift position is different on an off-road bike which is what the boot was designed for.
I know bro, but like I said earlier, I ride on the balls of my foot (just behind the toe area), the probem happens when I move my foot to up shift, making contact with the shifter. This would have happen on any type of bike (off road or Street) with a gear shifter. The photos are to show exactly when and where the catching or snagging is taking place. With my experience with the boot I'm convinced its a designed flaw that could have been prevented if the gear pad was covering the entire front portion of the boot as with the Street race boot photo provided above by Rubber. Look closely to how the Street race boot is sewn into the sole. Theres no lip for it to catch as compared to the designing of the SIDI Discovery.
Hopefully SIDI will take notice and redesign this area.

So far, some have sugested its possibly my riding style. For those assuming this, wouldn't it be fair to say the boot prematurely failed based on the short time of ownership and condition of the rest of the boot? I was expecting a hight quality boot manufactured by SIDI would have held up under worse riding condition before coming apart. I can't swallow the fact the boot was purchased in Jan 08 and shortly after this happens.

Anymore comments?

Ultimately Ty, your dealing with a customer service issue. It's going to be up to Sidi to decide what their policy is.

If they are looking out for their customers, Sidi will replace within the warranty period, If they aren't concerned with their customer service, I can definitely see where you're in for a fight.

Good Luck, I for one honestly believe you did not abuse the boot and are not looking for a hand-out.

Hey I hope you can get somehting done in your favor...looks to simply be an application problem...great boot wrong application. Could you somewhow have a shift protector cover the whole toe like the way you want? Know of any motorcycle boot repair shops?

Hey I hope you can get somehting done in your favor...looks to simply be an application problem...great boot wrong application.  Could you somewhow have a shift protector cover the whole toe like the way you want?  Know of any motorcycle boot repair shops?
If I can't get any positive results from SIDI directly I'll just apply some tuff toe from Aerostich. [ATTACH=full]1429540[/ATTACH] [url="http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Tuff-Toe-p-17477.html"]http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Tuff-Toe-p-17477.html[/url][/url]

Attachments

• winkold.gif
    winkold.gif
    453 bytes · Views: 42
Ultimately Ty, your dealing with a customer service issue.  It's going to be up to Sidi to decide what their policy is.  

If they are looking out for their customers, Sidi will replace within the warranty period, If they aren't concerned with their customer service, I can definitely see where you're in for a fight.

Good Luck, I for one honestly believe you did not abuse the boot and are not looking for a hand-out.
Thanks for the support. However it plays out I'll get it repaired, just wanted to share my experience with the SIDI Discovery boot and my unsatisfactory experience with Motonation.com representatives.

Back