Water Pump Dripping

hayabusa8878

Registered
When inspecting my water pump I noticed some oil leaking from that area. In the manual it stated to check that area for any leaking. Now I will replace the seals. If anyone has done this job tell me, I have to have the shop install a couple of the seals with their special tools. Is there a kit I need to get from the dealer. I know there is a mechanical seal, oil seal and o rings.

I recently had this problem.

Here's looking up at the oil pan in a mirror.  The oil up near the left in the picture, near the oil cooler line bolt is from a little spill.

IMG_4865.jpg

A few weeks ago, I thoroughly cleaned the area behind the sprocket cover to try to track down the leak.  Since the pan had the oil again, I decided to pull the sprocket cover and see if that area was all messed up again.  Still pretty clean.

IMG_4871.jpg

So I look under the water pump and the wall of the engine has a film of oil on it.

IMG_4869.jpg

Here's looking up at the water pump in a mirror.

IMG_4863.jpg

IMG_4864.jpg

There is an obvious drip there.

closeup.jpg

If you pull the pump and there is oil on the back side it is the o-ring item 10, and if there is oil inside the pump it would be the mechanical seal number 4? I know there isn't oil inside the pump because that would mean there was oil getting in the coolant. So according to that theory, I needed to pull the pump and replace o-ring 10?

waterpump.jpg

Pulled the pump, here are the pics. All went relatively smooth. The bike had a death grip on the pump but after a minute or so of wiggling and spinning it finally came free. Take care to get everything back together lining up the keyed end on the shaft with the one on the oil pump.

Here's the pics.

IMG_4872.jpg

IMG_4873.jpg

Nice view into the case and the oil pump shaft in question.

IMG_4875.jpg

IMG_4876.jpg

IMG_4877.jpg

IMG_4878.jpg

IMG_4879.jpg

IMG_4880.jpg

IMG_4881.jpg

IMG_4882.jpg

IMG_4883.jpg

IMG_4884.jpg

It's been about a month now, and so far, no more drips!

Hope that helps. No special tools required. Just drain the oil and coolant first.

Good job of showing this. Pics top it off. Thanks.

I've got a similar problem with the water pump leaking. However, I might take a different approach to this problem - by turning it into a solution. I will try to use that leaking oil to lubricate the chain. I intend to use a clear plastic tube, wrap it around the water pump where it leaks, seal it and route to the chain.

wow nice play by play instructions! i did the expensive route and instead of replacing the mech. seal, i just replaced the entire pump. more than likely and probably not necessary. i didn't want to pull her apart again if i didn't diagnose the problem the 1st time.
beerchug.gif

If your water pump is working...AND there is no oil in your coolant or vice versa, yet you are leaking oil in this area, you only need to replace the $1 oring like I did. No reason to replace entire pump unless you're getting cross contamination of fluids.

beerchug.gif

Back