First Road Trip

dreamwalker

Registered
Hey guys, June 29th Im rolling out for a road trip with 2 other bikers for 4k round trip run to Washington state. We're taking 5 days for each leg and spending 5 in Washington. Camping all the way. We have reservations at KOA's all the way there and back. Im the only busa rider, theres a guy with a new R1 and a guy with a night rod.
Im looking for any advice anyone can give on how best to prep my bike and what I should watch out for and everything in between.
I appreciate anything you guys can send my way.
And of course I know how this board is about pics so there will be plenty when I get back.
Thanks guys.

wear sun screen
smile.gif

and also seriously though, there is some great info on prepping for touring. just do a quick search on touring

something I learned that Inever read online was:

when you start to get fatigued, stop the bike and get off for about 1 minute, get back on and take off. worked for me. You'll be getting gas every 160 miles anyway

it's great to be free, but know where you are going [gas stations?]

i wasnt kidding about the sunscreen... oh and ear plugs. lots of ear plugs

Oil, brakes, lights, clutch, and other simple things for starters.
beerchug.gif

Other than that, "this is where the EXPERIENCED riders step in."
bowdown.gif

Gas up at every opportunity when you have over 100 miles on your bike.

Drink lots of water at every stop. Easy to get dehydrated.

If your butt gets sore, stop for at least an hour. Make sure you have soft undies with non-abrasive fabric.

hmmm.

--Wag--

(Wag @ Jun. 06 2007,19:24) Gas up at every opportunity when you have over 100 miles on your bike.

Drink lots of water at every stop.  Easy to get dehydrated.

If your butt gets sore, stop for at least an hour.  Make sure you have soft undies with non-abrasive fabric.

hmmm.

--Wag--
Nothing like diaper rash!
wink.gif
laugh.gif

First, never go on tour right after a service or maintenance or new tires etc without first, going on a shakedown ride. Its waaaay better to be near home than a few hundred miles out and find out you forgot to tighten something. I found some extended length 'bungee/net bolts' at a hardware store to replace the tiny stock (pegs) that come on the seatpan and grabrail. They enable me to really secure the 24" seatbag I use on long tours.

IMG002__Small_.JPG

Hit up a dealership and get yourself a small can of chain lube, every other gas stop spray the chains down, keep em lubed and clean. Check stretch too. Check air pressure and tire wear intermittently and be prepared to get a new tire in WA or somewhere en route. Keep the needy things in a tank bag, sunscreen, cell phone, whatever so your not always having to get into a tail bag or saddles. Rides like this is where a Throttlemeister pays for itself, definate wrist saver. Have fun, dont push, stay hydrated...its amazing how much the passing wind across your face will suck the moisture right out of you...bringing to mind chapstick. I keep a micro-fiber towel on board to wipe down the visor and windscreen of the insects. Hmmm might be more I'm forgetting.

I found the small can of Chain Wax at a Cycle Gear in Tucson, but my dealer had some as well. GL and stay safe, will be looking forward to those pics.

Charlie

First, if your taking 5 days to do 2000 miles, well, 400 miles per day isn't going to be a big deal. Like others said, at the end of each day (while the chain is still warm) lube it. Check for leaks and check tires each morning. Use ear plugs and ABOVE ALL ELSE, just have FUN  
super.gif
. 400  per day is a snap (which is what you might hear from your R1 buddies back on the 3 day
laugh.gif
) . Also keep hydrated, every time you stop (and your V Rod buddy is going to determine that, probably every 100 miles) drink  
all_coholic.gif
a bottle of WATER ! You'll do just fine, so GO FOR IT  
beerchug.gif

You shoudn't have any problem doing 400 mile days. My wife and I just got back from Northern California,  2300 miles in 6 days. Like everyone says stop regularly, drink plenty of water and have fun!!

Besides carry chain lube and all the other neccisities for touring , I bought myself a small 12 volt tire pump that fits under the seat and some tire plugs just in case you ever have that dreaded flat.

I also use the Ventura luggage system, works great Ventura (Click Here)
Picture004.jpg

That backrest/pack assembly is exactly what I've been looking for.. Will be picking a pack rack, and at least one Aero-Spada IV bags, hopefully two..since the wife doesn't ride with. Thanks for that link.

Your welcome.  When I ride solo I just flip the bag around so it sits on the passenger seat and add whatever other luggage I need.  
wink.gif

Picture021-1.jpg

Emergency tire plug & co2 air shot / Leatherman type tool and duct tape = Your Good!  
super.gif

I stand on the pegs sometimes to stretch or let my legs dangle behind the pegs for a few miles. When I stop I sometimes do some stretches or jog around for a couple minutes.

* Dont go to day dreaming if you get sleepy PULL OVER get a Starbucks or something.

Everyone should get gas at the same time

Get a radar detector

Watch for Deer!

Take lots of pics, you may even want to tie a disposable camera around your neck for quick action shots.

Take turns riding lead and sweep.

Actually, I have tried the camping long distance thing and for me I prefer no reservations just go till your tired and look for a cheap motel. Hot shower / TV / Cold ale / lumpy old bed ...  
beerchug.gif
  Perfect for me. I have found lots & lots of places for under $50 per night split 2 or 3 ways it's peanuts.

This was one of the coolest little road side sorta cabin I stayed at last sept in Utah $52 split 3 ways.  

Most of all ...  HAVE FUN!!!!  
beerchug.gif

Epic2006_128b.jpg

beerchug.gif

Like most people have already said Tire plugs, small air compressor, leatherman Tool and a tool kit, Keep some money on hand to just in case that way if you have pay for a service job or something, Chain Lube, and also I would recommend taking a few rags and a microfiber cloth to wipe the bike or your face sheild down. Aslo take your self a spare chain if you have room and and chain tool.

Make sure People you ride with have access to info on Your Blood Type, Allergies To Meds or anything else,know how to reach loved ones,...a whole cheet sheet of this type of info.........

What meds you might be taking, such as High Blood Pressure meds etc..........

Make sure your insurance is up to date, bike, health, life, dental, optical etc...........

Have something to Defend Yourself & Property preferably a Gun......We are still in the Land of The Free After all...............Be Alert Always & Dont Get Drunk ..

Have a plan for problems that could be encountered............
Who stays with who while someone gets help if the cell phones are not working.........
What to do if some mexicans want to jack your bike at a rest stop.....
What to do if some Harley Gang tries to run you down & off road.....
Plan your stops before you proceed to the next destination.....
Be Alert....
Be Aware of your surroundings always...on & off the machine.....
Never let your guard down and never Drink Alchoholic Beverages!

ANOTHER IMPORTANT Thing to Do:

Go over ALL of Your Hand signals with your fellow riders!
Such as:
Left Hand Tapping on Helmet= Police Presence
Left Hand making Circles OverHead like helicopter=Police in Air
Etc...Etc....

(motogp08 @ Jun. 06 2007,19:25)
(Wag @ Jun. 06 2007,19:24) Gas up at every opportunity when you have over 100 miles on your bike.

Drink lots of water at every stop.  Easy to get dehydrated.

If your butt gets sore, stop for at least an hour.  Make sure you have soft undies with non-abrasive fabric.

hmmm.

--Wag--
Nothing like diaper rash!
wink.gif

laugh.gif
"RASH" is right.....no wearing the "THONG".......

Back