I know, I know..

Saxoplay

Donating Member
Registered
For years, I've been running premium 91 octane in all of my vehicles, including the busa with no complaints. However, with the recent rise in gas prices and also some of the threads I've read through about what everyone runs online, I decided to give 87 a try. I don't know if it's just my imagination or if I'm just tryng to convince myself because it's cheaper but, I really think that the busa runs noticably better on it! It idles smoother, accelerates better. Does this make sense to anyone? Is this possible? I'm on my 4th tank now and I don't think I'm ever going back to premium!
super.gif

Sorry to bring this subject up yet again but, I just jazzed that I can spend less on gas and my bike seems to run better to booot!
smile.gif

There's normally 3 grades of gas, so you're typically going to get 3 different opinions. Know this ... the only one that matters is YOURS! If you feel your bike runs better on 87, by all means continue to use it.
beerchug.gif

Hummmmmmmmm, maybe that little guy who designed the engine in the first place knew what he was doing
wink.gif
, Ya Think  
beerchug.gif

Just kidding, but 87 does and always has worked for me on the Busa. Now with Mod changes, Well
rock.gif
that might be another question and I don't know  
coffee.gif

I am a sledder, and fuel quality on supercharged snowmobiles is always top concern. Any stock snowmobile I have ever owned that was stock, ran fine on 87 octane. The reason for higher octane, is to raise the flash point and control detonation. You make less power on higher octane, but the engine seems to run better, in effect it does in certain engines.
In my sled I always ran VP 111 straight, but could have mixed premium and race fuel. Since you never really know what you are getting out of the ground, I always run straight race fuel.

For a naturally aspirated Busa, 87 is the key. I would think that the turbo guys run at least 91, or likely race fuel blend. With your mods, maybe PC and pipe you may have to go to higher octane, but that is beyond me.

I lost mpg on 87,I'll stay with premium.If ya run 87 all the time.Run cleaner through it more often.87 don't have the additives premium does.It will make a differance on carbon build up on your pistons reguardless how hard or easy you ride.
I've repaired,rebuilt,or started from scratch on over 400+ engines before the age of 30.And you can always see the big differance in what differant octanes are used on a tear down.Not saying 87 is bad,cause it's not,just needs more cleaners.All engines are not created equal,even though they're put together with the "same" specs.
Ya have a 11 to 1 compression ratio in your busa.The only reason it will run well with 87 is cause the timing is retarded.
4 tanks on mine,ran the same,just lost milage.If yours run better with 87,run it.Just run cleaner through it to keep deposits down.

Good points on cleaning Papa.

I never went into engines a lot, if it broke I just cried and bought another one.

Wanna guess how many tanks of 87 I've run through my busa?

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:purple'>300 !!!</span></span>

(DaCol. @ May 28 2007,16:55) Hummmmmmmmm, maybe that little guy who designed the engine in the first place knew what he was doing
wink.gif
, Ya Think  
beerchug.gif

Just kidding, but 87 does and always has worked for me on the Busa. Now with Mod changes, Well
rock.gif
that might be another question and I don't know  
coffee.gif
+1
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

(pward76 @ May 28 2007,16:16) Wanna guess how many tanks of 87 I've run through my busa?

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:purple'>300 !!!</span></span>
WAIT ONE MINUTE..........there's that number again........what's up with that "number"
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
??........it keeps recirculating in my conciousness, almost on a daily basis......hmmmm.....wonder what THAT number has to do with that "other" number
rock.gif
.....2008, and 300....is there an algorythmic association or correlation here ?.....it's like Wierd that I keep seeing both these numbers........like someone's trying to tell me something.......but, if they wanted to tell me something why can't thy tell me to my face....is there like a number code to Hayabusa.org......maybe it's aliens ?....or something ?....or the Men in Black ?....Black Ops
rock.gif
.......300 and 2008......what's the connection
rock.gif

ONE'S A MOVIE, and the OTHER AIN'T HERE YET !!!!!!!!!! Now don't make me do that again
laugh.gif
I can do it all day and all night........
cool.gif
I WILL AND I CAN !!!!!!
biggrin.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

(pward76 @ May 28 2007,19:16) Wanna guess how many tanks of 87 I've run through my busa?

poke.gif

300.jpg

Back