horsepower question

Chromed-n-Stretched

Donating Member
Registered
Has anyone ever broken pistons or rods on thier busa?  If you have what HP were you making when you did?

what pistons and rods do a factory busa come with?   Any chance of them being forged?

Stock rods I'm told are good for up to roughly 275-300HP...
Not sure about the factory spec pistons.

(henryace @ May 13 2007,03:16) Nice looking bike. Where in Miami do you live? I live near the Aventura Mall.
I live in cutler ridge, but my brother is a cop for aventura police dept. and i go up that way to see him every once in a while

I had a stock rod pop out of the front of my oem motor after doing a 13-1 1397 kit..but was due to being low on oil..had aprox 200 hp

stock rods and pistons are decent..

think it can handle 320 HP?
SHOCKED.gif

I wouldnt even chance it if your going to invest the money to get that kind of power do it right so that it will last
super.gif

(spkerhed @ May 14 2007,00:32) I wouldnt even chance it if your going to invest the money to get that kind of power do it right so that it will last  
super.gif
cool, if it cant handle it then ill probably stick to about 250-270 HP. i just thought if i could get away with 320HP i would buy the fifth injector mod for $400. but i dont want to go over board with this project.
all_coholic.gif

I was told by steve smithers that anything over 300hp will require stronger parts and billet products

I've heard stock pistons good up to 400 and rods to around 340.

there were guys running around 350hp on stock rods for a couple yrs. I know smithbusa used to with his hahn kit. Now he has all new internal and a superstreet ghetto kit.
super.gif

I wouldn't start sweating anything until around 320hp. Granted anything can happen but I've read many times about 340hp with rods and near 400 with pistons.

(fstbusa @ May 14 2007,04:21) I've heard stock pistons good up to 400 and rods to around 340.

there were guys running around 350hp on stock rods for a couple yrs.  I know smithbusa used to with his hahn kit.  Now he has all new internal and a superstreet ghetto kit.  
super.gif

I wouldn't start sweating anything until around 320hp.  Granted anything can happen but I've read many times about 340hp with rods and near 400 with pistons.
cool fstbusa, thanks for the input.

There is a guy here with a black/purple busa (forgot the year 2002?) running a stage 2 velocity kit pushing 318rwhp @ 12 psi. He has a completely stock internal engine, but he is running meth/alcohol injection with race cut transmission gears and heavier clutch springs. Also has steel sprockets and a custom tune from a reputable turbo tuner in Ohio.

His cousin works at a bike speed shop and helped build the bike. Says its fine with the alcohol injection and custom tune. Hope this helps.

Stock rods an pistons are very good. You don't have to start worrying about them until over 300hp. Or if you have a turbo you can melt them at 250hp if not set up right.

There are some perfectly tuned bikes in Austraila making over 400 on stock internals.

Back