Cooling fan problem fixed

Strait Line

Registered
Posted the problem i was having with my radiator fan not cycling correct a few days ago.Thought it was the fan switch had it changed at the dealer under warranty but returned with the same problem as before.So started reading older post through a search,it dose work almost any question has been answered many times over.Was pretty sure i found the info i needed but still asked if it sounded like it could be the cause of my problem.There was air in my cooling system that i think got there when i changed the exhaust and flushed the system about a month ago.Anyway to get me through bike week in daytona nightmare traffic jams i did a roadside emergency operation on the bus with parts and tools bought at radio shack
laugh.gif
Made it through by switching the fan on manually and kept the bus cool without major engine failure
wow.gif
. So i decided to make the switch perminate in case i should ever run into that problem again or even normal traffic jams due to accidents or road construction,just flip the fan on a lil early and stay ahead of getting to hot
AAAssjani.gif
Posted a few pics how i did it really simple mod to do.

P1000831.JPG

Good idea.........just wondering............do you still have the original fan blade or have you changed to the Muzzy metal blade fan.......if not do so, it will help even more. My .02
wow.gif

(tejaschop @ Mar. 23 2007,15:25) Good idea.........just wondering............do you still have the original fan blade or have you changed to the Muzzy metal blade fan.......if not do so, it will help even more. My .02
wow.gif
Haven't done the muzzy fan yet but will be ordering one soon
beerchug.gif

(Revolution @ Mar. 23 2007,15:26) does it still come on automatically?
Yep just leave the switch off for normal operation,just nice to have a back up was really freakin out in daytona with no fan
crazy.gif

You might have a different switch in your future. It's in a busy area. If you break it off opt for a very low profile toggle switch. I've seen the switch in post for cutting the headlights off and on. Looks good.
beerchug.gif

(TXBusa05LE @ Mar. 23 2007,16:26) How about posting the walk through as far as wiring?
I don't know how to go back and edit the pictures with text so i will try to explain it.

If you look at the left side of your bike faring mid way down you will see the fan switch rubber boot covering the switch on the radiator.Remove the left side faring and the rubber boot.You will see the orange pair of wires on the plug on the fan switch,unplug the connector from the fan switch.

You have a couple choices:
cut the wires close to the plug end so the splices will be covered by the rubber boot like i did or follow the orange pair of wires higher up they run right next to where i mounted the switch on the inner panel.

All the switch is doing is acting like a jumper wire.The orange wires need to stay connected just like they are you just need another pair of wires going from the switch to the orange wires.

So take a wire from one terminal on the switch and go to one of the orange wires and the other terminal of the switch and go to the other orange wire.

With the switch in the off position the fan runs just as it would from the factory with the switch in the on position the fan will run until it's switched off the ignition key must be on for the fan to run manually.Just remember to turn the switch off when you start moving again.

This is a lot easier to do than i was able to explain it.PM if you get stuck.
beerchug.gif

keith

Thanks for write up, you can add text by clicking the "edit" button at the top of the post window.

You wont see the pic but you can edit the text.

I'm thinking of doin the 2nd fan mod this year so maybe i'll do it up like this also. Could ya wire it ya think so that both fans would be manual? Maybe i'll just do both fans on switches individually

i did this mod on my 86 cavalcade and it works very well.as you know the cade is a big bike and i get nervous waiting for the fan to kick on so with the switch i fell alot better

I did a similar mod but tied into the fan wiring, not the t-stat/sensor. The fan comes on when grounded, so you tie into the ground wire with an auxilary switch. Works like a champ.

Back