Stands 101?

FadeTwoBlack

Registered
Looking at stands for the bike to make service easier, but I've never used or owned a stand before. I see I need spools in addition to the stand, but I'm needing input on how to make the setup operational. By that I mean, do you use just one stand? Is one enough to keep the bike upright? Do I need to chock the front some how?

Then of course the "brand" issue, which is best and why?

Thanks

I use this for the front:

Wheel_chock.jpg

Now this wont let you pull or spin the wheel at all I will be getting a pitbull stand for the front that lifts from the lower tripple tree. for the rear I went with the suzuki one but pit bull is a great stand as well. Lastly you have redline stands (site sponsor) they have one that you can get that allows you to put the rear stand on while the bike is on its side stand without having to hold the bike upright!

(adamnflorida @ Feb. 19 2007,13:21) where did you buy that^^^^
1st change your text color so it can be seen,
I got that direct from baxely but charles at street and track (site sponsor) can get it cheaper!

So first off, PM redlinestands our board sponsor they will take care of you.

This is what my current stands look like to give you an idea

IMG_0124.jpg

Here is just the rear, but I would not get this kind becuase you are limited to only using the spools.

Since I've stretched my bike I now need the stand that has the flat area to lift the swing arm.

DSCN1288.jpg

(heavybusa @ Feb. 19 2007,13:24) So first off, PM redlinestands our board sponsor they will take care of you.

This is what my current stands look like to give you an idea

IMG_0124.jpg
I have the same set of stands.

sliders.jpg

They work well, the only down side is I now need a jack to get on the rear stand because of the extension.

(heavybusa @ Feb. 19 2007,13:37) They work well, the only down side is I now need a jack to get on the rear stand because of the extension.
I like them but if you don't have the grab rail on good luck getting the rear up!

(monster @ Feb. 19 2007,13:39)
(heavybusa @ Feb. 19 2007,13:37) They work well, the only down side is I now need a jack to get on the rear stand because of the extension.
I like them but if you don't have the grab rail on good luck getting the rear up!
Redline makes one that you can get the rear up with the bike on the side stand- way kewl!

(05BusaLe @ Feb. 19 2007,13:42)
(monster @ Feb. 19 2007,13:39)
Redline makes one that you can get the rear up with the bike on the side stand- way kewl!
They do make a good set up

I have pitbull rear stand for spools ans a pitbull new front that supports under the steering stem.
norear.jpg

The only down side to the pitbull under steering is that it does not work well with lowered bikes.

I had to pull my nose off to use one.

(FadeTwoBlack @ Feb. 19 2007,14:36) Is the bike unstable when using only a rear stand?

BTW - Thanks for the Redline link. It answered a lot of questions.
Not at all just make sure it wont roll away.

I work on the rear stand all the time with no issues.

Someone mentioned T-Rex, so I looked them up on e-bay. Now I'm all for saving a buck or two, but only if the product is good. T-Rex stands are pretty inexpensive, so what's the rub? Is this a "you get what you pay for" deal?

(FadeTwoBlack @ Feb. 19 2007,14:57) Someone mentioned T-Rex, so I looked them up on e-bay. Now I'm all for saving a buck or two, but only if the product is good. T-Rex stands are pretty inexpensive, so what's the rub? Is this a "you get what you pay for" deal?
I got 'em. Got a tip from another member here. Works well for me, no complaints.

Pit Bull is one of the favorites.  Rear Stands are pretty much the same, use the spools to pick up the rear.  The front, you have two choices, one that craddels the bottom of the fork which allows you to take the front rim off and the other is one that pick up from under the triple tree which allows you to work on the forks (ie remove them).

I'm sure i have pictures somewhere, let me look...

DSC03336.jpg

DSC03334.jpg

DSC03333.jpg

DSC02812.jpg

DSC01872-1.jpg

DSC01864.jpg

DSC00690.jpg

Had enough pictures???

DSC03924.jpg

And the chock makes for a good parking block, it supports the bike and can be used in a trailer when properly secured.

This lovely model is showing the Baxley LA style which is a little larger than the sport chock, a little more stability for the robust model...
DSC03923.jpg

Back