Fuel Gauge

bigoltool

Registered
Ok so I rode to work today for the first time this year and I suddenly remembered the one thing I wanted to fix over the winter. My Fuel Gauge has decided to always read full! I am assuming it is a problem with the sender. The Guage cycles through it's sweep when you start it up but It is just not working properly. Anyone experieced this one?

Sounds like you need to ride the bike more to burn up some of that gas.
SHOCKED.gif

68 degrees!!!!!
SHOCKED.gif
SHOCKED.gif
I can't wait to get down there for bike week so I can get into that type of weather. I am so tired of the high 20 degree low 30 degree weather here!
beerchug.gif

SHOCKED.gif

Sounds like you just need to replace the tank fuel guage level unit. Me, I don't trust them anyway and ride by mileage and NOT what the guage says, that way I never run out of gas  
wink.gif

(frisbee @ Jan. 25 2007,16:40) maybe your bike gts REALLY good gas milage!
Bet it's that New Republican 20% gas increase thingie the Pres was talking about the other night
laugh.gif

Zukis are always the first in new inovations
tounge.gif

Must have been the catastrophic converter! Damn thing started working again on the way home! I may pull the float out of the tank and check it out this weekend anyways. WEIRD.

The bike is an 03 40th AE.

It didn't matter, man it felt damn good just to ride again. Bike was parked nearly a Month! This winter has been a Mother!

(dadofthree @ Jan. 25 2007,20:21) Hey, if it ain't broke don't fix it.  
all_coholic.gif
and if it is broke i wouldnt worry about it just go old school and keep track of your mileage

(bigoltool @ Jan. 25 2007,20:14) Must have been the catastrophic converter! Damn thing started working again on the way home! I may pull the float out of the tank and check it out this weekend anyways. WEIRD.

The bike is an 03 40th AE.

It didn't matter, man it felt damn good just to ride again. Bike was parked nearly a Month! This winter has been a Mother!
Somtimes the cold weather can cause the needle or needlse to stick and not reset to it proper position. There is a procedure in the shop manual that shows how to reset the gauge when this happens. Refer to page 7-32 in the shop manual. Heres where you can get download an online manual if you do not have one.

You could do like the oil delv man does and just carry a long wooden stick to drop in to the tank and see how much of the bottom is wet!

try resettin the guage , see if that works , then i would check the connections at the tank , battery ground , and last pull the pump and manualy move the float to see if it moves freely withe the pump out of the tank turn the key on , and see if by moving the float you can get the guage to react there is not to much that can go wrong with it ?

Back