How Democracy Failed us, or.....How we failed Democracy

mike1180

Banned
Hey guys (and gals)

I wanted to post this in the thread “Be afraid…very afraidâ€￾.. But I feel it needs it’s own voice.
This group on this forum is intelligent, dedicated, observant, perceptive, vocal, risk takers, stable, opinionated, determined, and above all a good cross section of what “could beâ€￾

In this "western democracy" we have an elected dictatorship.
Every 4 years we get to pick who it is that screws us.
That is the only say that we have.
We pick,... and they do their thing.
Any other hopes, wishes, aspirations as to what "could" or "should" happen fall by the wayside.
They all have their own agenda, and they say whatever they need to, to get in, and then when in they do whatever they like.
Sorry to be so terse, but any examples of when this DIDN'T happen would be highly appreciated.
When we realize that this system is: we pick and they do it, then we will be on the road to recovery.
They are only accountable to us and we just keep picking, just keep picking, just keep picking (did I say JUST KEEP PICKING?) so….. who is really to blame? Who is it that keeps picking?
If you went to the grocery and all the tomatoes were rotten would you pick even 1?
Would you buy peanut butter for your sandwich instead? You bet you would.

The whole idea of a Democracy started on the premise that the entire population could not fit into the voting room to make the decisions that govern us.
So we elected a representative for large groups of us, to attend and vote on our behalf. ON OUR BEHALF.
If the elected representative could in conscience not support what we wanted (abortion, death penalty, euthanasia, war etc. ) then he/she should not be there. He/she was not there to represent what he/she thought or believed as an individual, but what the group of us wanted. Not there to get the deal that enriched himself/herself, but the deal that enriched the constituents. Not there to voice his/her opinion at all but OUR OPINIONS, OUR WISHES.
This has become a free for all with the people in power out for self interest, self gain, personal agenda, personal benefit, and we just keep picking.
I look at your candidates, the supposed best of the 350 million population, as I do ours, and I weep that this is what we come up with.
This is what we put forth to save the planet, make a world for our children and grandchildren, make a legacy for history to view who we were and what we supported.

Always remember We are in charge, WE let it happen, WE chose.

I’m glad nobody got me started on this, as I have a very jaded view and would not wish to impose it on others. :laugh:
JMO

We are Constantly LOWERING the BAR...........Accepting Mediocrity. That Seems to be the NORM Now. Eventually we will be a Country Full of Followers and Very Little Leaders. It's Your Choice America !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike, are you stirring the pot, buddy?:laugh:

As for me, I'm a registered Independent. I don't buy any of the rhetoric, the lies wrapped in the flag, or any of the other B.S. I do feel that there is a major disconnect between the government, and the people it is supposed to serve.

I think the Democrats (we have Liberals up here) are way worse than the Republicans (like our Conservatives), but take a look at the world: WE ARE IN HELL ALREADY!
How did we let it get this way?
Trillions of dollars are gone, millions of people are affected, WHO THE HELL WAS ON WATCH??
This $hit storm has just started.
And don’t blame the Government.
They just do what we want, what we tell them to do, what we force them to do or we will remove them from office.
What does all of this have to say about us??
And I just finished reading an article on MSN “will Mrs. Obama be the tallest first lady?”
SAY WHAT?
The ship is sinking, the building is on fire, the volcano is blowing, the tidal wave is coming, the earthquake is quaking, the hurricane is here, and we are focused on what?
Who is the tallest first lady?
WOW!

Last edited:
The whole idea of a Democracy started on the premise that the entire population could not fit into the voting room to make the decisions that govern us.

This is not true. Our government in the US is a Federal Republic Democracy and what you are refering to is the republic portion.
True Democracy = majority rule
And this country does not and has not ever had a true democracy.

This county had diversity that most other countries do not have. And we have very unique issues that can be very complicated, especially when you start to think about people other that you.

As far as accepting average. I believe that starts with the people. U and me

Things are messed up and yes we need to get involved and do all that we can to improve. BUT this is the great country with a great government. Do not give up hope

you realize this all starts at the local level right? you do not get involved and they do as they want, this carries right on up to the top..

Back