Think i have a dirty injector

chevelle

Donating Member
Registered
Dirty injector or a fuel problem of some sort ? Today when i brought the 2nd stage in (both dry) it started to detonate at peak fuel demand (9000-9500)

I just pulled out my injectors (21 k mi.) and swapped in a set that i picked up a while back,with (i am told) 1 k mi. I will send mine off to MPS or ? to have them,checked cleaned flowed etc.

I wonder if today's great air,60 deg. 30.43 baro helped me find the weak link ?

Dirty injector or a fuel problem of some sort ? Today when i brought the 2nd stage in (both dry) it started to detonate at peak fuel demand (9000-9500)

I just pulled out my injectors (21 k mi.) and swapped in a set that i picked up a while back,with (i am told) 1 k mi. I will send mine off to MPS or ? to have them,checked cleaned flowed etc.

I wonder if today's great air,60 deg. 30.43 baro helped me find the weak link ?

Ouch! That sux! what did the plugs look like, was there any damage to them?

MPS is where I send all my injectors to get cleaned and flowed. I swap out customers injectors for a matched flow tested set when nitrous is going to be used to keep everything consistant. Dan will hook you up and has a fast turn around.:thumbsup:

Didn't pull them. I chopped it as soon as it went flat. I was 50 miles out when it happened,the motor didn't miss a beat the rest of the ride.

I still have a fuel problem.....
The swapped in injectors were no help.
Checked the map....it was right.
Pulled the plugs,they looked fine. Put in a new set,no help
Bumped the fuel up 6 % in the map,pulled the jet back 5 %
Now it detonated even lower 8500. With the nitrous map (bottle off) i got it to faulter at 10,500 in 2nd.

I am thinking fuel strainer or pump ?

Got my injectors back from MPS today,they were fine. Before and after spray pattern looks the same.
pre clean flow 260,260,264,262
after clean flow 264,264,272,267

Now it detonated even lower 8500. With the nitrous map (bottle off) i got it to faulter at 10,500 in 2nd.

Got my injectors back from MPS today,they were fine. Before and after spray pattern looks the same.

if you think they were fine wait till you find issue and reinstall them..if still on stock pump put a guage inline and check pressure...pump or regulator could be bad...

Damn bro that sux, Just a thought here, but did you ever consider that maybe not "lean" problem, but a "rich" problem instead? If you said its detonating worse now that you cleaned injectors, increased fuel table, and pulled some N2O jetting out. It very well may be TOO rich, as this will cause denoation also, "rare", but a possibly? Also if the plugs show no sighns of pre ignition, then did they look "fat" at all? Like i said though just a thought, im sure some nitrous gurus will chime in soon, good luck gettin fixxed. :beerchug:

What components are you using? Here are you possible problems

1. Nitrous is blowing out your spark plugs
2. Running too rich when spraying and getting detonation
3. Coil misfire under heavy load when spraying
4 Running to low octane fuel and getting detonation

I'm banking on running too rich since you bumped up the map and lowered the Nitrous. I need more info

Cleaned the strainer on the fuel pump and installed a known good map for the jets i am running....no good.

Pulls hard on 1 stage,bring the 2nd stage in and it goes flat.

I was sure it was fuel related,now i am really starting to think it is blowing the flame out. Bad coil stick ?

This bike has all ways started instantly hot or cold. The last few weeks it has been rather slow starting.

Cleaned the strainer on the fuel pump and installed a known good map for the jets i am running....no good.

Pulls hard on 1 stage,bring the 2nd stage in and it goes flat.

I was sure it was fuel related,now i am really starting to think it is blowing the flame out. Bad coil stick ?

This bike has all ways started instantly hot or cold. The last few weeks it has been rather slow starting.

OK,it is possible that you have a weak spark in one of your coils but,have you checked the air/fuel ratio when spraying you 2nd stage? Once the 2nd stage is activated is fuel also added at that time?

Have not checked a/f

It's a 60'' stock height bike,flip the map switch and the fuel is all in when i hit the first stage.

2 stage dry,riceya angled plate. Right now it's stepped down to .029 on the 1st stage .024 on the 2nd. All summer i was .033 & .024 or .031 & .025 no trouble.

2 stage dry,riceya angled plate. Right now it's stepped down to .029 on the 1st stage .024 on the 2nd. All summer i was .033 & .024 or .031 & .025 no trouble.

So during the summer everything was fine and now you are having a problem with the second stage. Have you made any changes to the map or anything else?

1. Could be that the 2nd stage is freezing you airfilter and blocking some in coming air,hence the bike will run richer when you spray the 2nd stage.

2. I dont think it's blowing your spark out with a Nozzles plate.

3. Put it on the dyno and check the A/F ratio

4. What type of fuel are you using and are you pullling any timing?

Last edited:
could just be a fuel quality issue... as weather changes so do fuel blends.. (refineries always make some changes for the colder weather as most motors are much less likely to rattle during the colder months)

Also, (and this would need checked) but it is possible that the ECU puts a bit more mag in the motor when the AIT sensor sees colder charge air.. (SmithBusa can probably comment on this?)

Going rich will not normally cause detonation,

lean a/f, high combustion temps, poor fuel, hot spot in combustion chamber, carbon build up are a few possible causes...

I personally do not like "dry" systems.. much prefer some type of "fogger" that I can control the fuel AND the N02 without affecting "off spray" tuning..

I personally do not like "dry" systems.. much prefer some type of "fogger" that I can control the fuel AND the N02 without affecting "off spray" tuning..[/QUOTE]

He isn't AFFECTING off spray tuning ??? He is running a hub with 2nd N2O map! Hence, while not on the "kit" he is running a regular motor map, that has nothing to do with dry kit.

Pump gas,in general i pull 2 out and as much as 5 for long pulls.

Some map tweaks,nothing that would bring on all this.

I had a safe map in it today +15 % no ignition out (grabbing at straws) b/p was only 800 air was crazy good 50 deg. 30.54 baro the hit was real strong,blew the tire off on 1 hit.

which pump gas? You may still find out that the fuel you are getting is on a winter blend.. if you have not already, go to 91-93 octane and see if that settles the thing down..

Keep in mind that with cooler air, you are getting a more compacted a/f charge and that will raise combustion temps somewhat as you have more pressure...

Keep in mind even if you do not hear the detonation, it can be present..

can you pinpoint when the issue started? (last fuel up etc) really do need a fuel pressure reading..

Last edited:
Shell hi test only,at least 3 tanks since the problem started.

Since the problem started there has been 1 thing out of the ordinary. The air has been exceptional the last 4 outings,50-60 degrees and 30.25-30.64 baro.
Hard to explain just how hard that 1st little stage is hitting.

Just for grins i am going to turn it down even more,.026 & .024 and leave the same 15 % map in it.

Back