gotta ask (Busa Good First Bike?)

canIdream?

Registered
okay here goes a thrashing from you to me, and yes ive read almost everything in the first-time void area:

I am 22 going on 40(maturity level :super: )
married :)
in the USAF
unclesam.gif

extremely responsible  
bored.gif

i have abundant common sense  
i am not a hotdogger  
i've owned and ridden DIRTBIKES since I was 9
starting from 80 to 250cc and have been in a head on collision that almost killed the other guy(he had to be airlifted out of there) and left a nice souvenir on my arm

but i have not owned any streetbikes and have only ridden my friend's bike a few times (not even worth mentioning)
purpose behind wanting the Busa: pure cruising enjoyment   :cool:
also you can call it love at first site  
inlove.gif

okay thats who i am, now judge me with any rational reasons why I shouldnt get this bike, i promise i wont get mad

Nice description CID, I would allways recommend a smaller bike to begin with. I started like you on mini's & dirt bikes. I bought a used 600 and rode it for over a year, then jumped on the Busa. I think I would have gotten myself into trouble going straight to the Busa from the dirt ( then again I didnt ride much of anything for about 15 yrs inbetween ).
Having your experience is good and of course you dont have to use all the Busa power or ride like a speed freak ( but the temptation will be there... :D )

Bottom line : Take one for a spin 1st

Nice description CID, I would allways recommend a smaller bike to begin with. I started like you on mini's & dirt bikes. I bought a used 600 and rode it for over a year, then jumped on the Busa. I think I would have gotten myself into trouble going straight to the Busa from the dirt ( then again I didnt ride much of anything for about 15 yrs inbetween ).
Having your experience is good and of course you dont have to use all the Busa power or ride like a speed freak ( but the temptation will be there... :D )

Bottom line : Take one for a spin 1st
I have to agree with Hawaii on this one. Except I kept my 600 for two years. I had my Busa for just over three months when I hit a tree on it. It only takes a split second of stuipity to get yourself in to deep on this bike. If you do go for it just take it slow and always know your limits. What ever you decide injoy it.
Welcome to the board,
Jim

Hey canidream, I also started riding young, 5 as a matter of fact, on a z50 honda.
Since then I've had 7 dirtbikes 125-500 all 2 strokes.
3ATC's, two quads, and 6 streetbikes form 750 to 1300.
I have literally thousands of hours of experiance, and I would also call myself extremely responsible with more than abundant common sense.
Oh yeah, and I'm 31 years old.
22 is very young to own a bike of this magnitude, especially with no street experience.
Usually (I guess there is the very odd exception) if you posess the kind of power the Hayabusa has, you will eventually use it.
Just try a smaller bike for at least a few months
to get used to riding on the streets, and take a riders course.
You have a lifetime in front of you for the ultimate street bike,
but might not if you start on a Busa.
Remember, you have a wife at home who probably doesn't want to see you make this mistake.
My 22 year old cousin who rides a 97 zx9 took my Busa for a ride the other day and said he was deffinately not ready for it.
Be safe young man and stay with us.

First of all welcome to the board!!!!, I am new myself. My 2 cents, if its even worth that much, is too each his own. You could have ridden smaller bikes for years and still not be prepared for the Busa. I to rode dirt bikes for years and rode friends street bikes but never owned my own before I bought the Busa. I did take a safety course before I bought it, and plan on taking the advanced course this summer. No one knows you better than you. I felt that I was ready and still think I made the right decision. If you feel you are ready then you are, just be careful and learn your bike as well as your abilities, and I always try to get better every time I ride, you can never have to much experience. Either way you decide to go the thing is you will be riding and thats the best thing of all. Just be careful on any bike that you get!!

Keepdreaming...
way to make someone feel welcome here.

Don't pay any attention to that canidream. It's a good question and you deserve a good response. I personally think some people just don't like to see anyone else buying a hayabusa for some silly and vain reasons that I won't go into here.

My thought on you getting one is definitely do it. You can kill yourself on any bike from a rm250 to a hayabusa. You know your limits and what you are and are not capable of. You should do what your heart tells you to do. One either falls in love at first sight at the busa or does not. If you have, then buy one as soon as you are able. Life is too short to deny yourself of dreams. Live the dream I say.

Welcome to the board !!

Keepdreaming...
way to make someone feel welcome here.

Don't pay any attention to that canidream. It's a good question and you deserve a good response. I personally think some people just don't like to see anyone else buying a hayabusa for some silly and vain reasons that I won't go into here.

My thought on you getting one is definitely do it. You can kill yourself on any bike from a rm250 to a hayabusa. You know your limits and what you are and are not capable of. You should do what your heart tells you to do. One either falls in love at first sight at the busa or does not. If you have, then buy one as soon as you are able. Life is too short to deny yourself of dreams. Live the dream I say.

Welcome to the board !!
I agree, Its guys that hurt themselves and kill themselves on 600's as well as big liter bikes. Its all about knowing your limits on whatever type of bike you own.
Take a safety class, and just allow yourself the opportunity to learn what ever bike you decide to buy. I heard guy's say well buy a 600 first it alot cheaper to repair if you crash it, the busa is extremely expensive to repair if you dump it.
Make your own decision, you know yourself better than anyone on this board. Good luck on whatever you decide.
Just come back and let us know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kerberos makes a good point on this one.
Sorry for not making you feel welcome canidream.
Welcome to the board.
I personally feel that everyone that loves the Busa, if it be for looks, comfort, or speed should deffinately own one.
It's just my opinion that you may want to start on something safer.
And yes, you can get in trouble on any size bike, but things do happen alot quicker on a Busa than on an RM250.
Oh yeah, you can't ride an RM250 on the street so you won't have these big obstructions called vehicles to get in your way.
Can't speak from experience but it probably hurts when one hits you.
When you do get the big beast post some pics.
Ride safely.

Make up yer own mind . I can tell you this....after 24 years on the street (dirt bikin' has F all to do with the street) . There are those that can ride...
There are those that can be taught to ride...
There are those that just shouldn't ride...
I TRULY BELIEVE IT'S ABOUT INSTINCT .
A five year old can be taught to pull in the clutch,press down with yer left foot,slowly twist the throttle...etc etc
It's NOT what its all about . Any 1 can make the machine move......ANY 1 , just DONT make it home everytime .
Good courses can teach you lots....INSTINCT will get you home . Sorry to sound a bit gloomy here but...."They say there are two kinds of bikers , those who have crashed , and those who are gonna ." Over the years I've taught lots of people to ride....first lesson: Yer about to climb onto a machine that has just one purpose . Just one . As soon as you flip up the kickstand,it wants to fall over . Thats it.It just wants to fall over. It has 2 wheels,what else can we expect from it . ITS CALLED GRAVITY . Just B cool . Any machine requires respect . IT DEMANDS IT . Ever had a throttle stick wide open on ya?:super: It's a machine. Give it respect . If you dont , it'll bite you . GARAN-DAM-TEED . Be cool my friend....
p.s. any Q's...feel free to pm me.

Welcome...Busa files...I started on a moped39cc..then 50cc.
A 51 Royal Enfield 500cc..slow..then a Hodaka 100cc,then a Cr125 mxer,Tm400 suzi..500 kx's, cr500 husky,510 husky thumper and so on..Lot's of intense MX races after i turned 30
Road raced a 89 FZR600...Gsxr1100 before it..OMG..sick sick.
Moral of my story..17 dirt bikes..9 streetbikes....The Busa can and will corrupt you...even after many many years of experiance....adrenilan ...is the most powerful drug.....If you get a Busa...It demands the utmost respect..if you do it will reward you with the biggest smile....ever...Like Finnbusa said
you couldn't beat it off with shovel...take your time and build confidence..pick your spots to gasit up...It's all in the Brain..
Best wish's good luck and have fun safe and very exciting rides..I am 52 years old ..did a first to second the other day..
put 8k on in 02...still OMG.... :eek:

OK My .02
<span style='color:firebrick'>Kerberos</span> I think has it pretty well nailed.  Ride what you want, the throttle works both ways.  Just because its the most powerful bike in the world doesn't mean it's hard to ride or requires some "Special" gifts to handle.  Be honest with yourself and make sure your reasons for wanting a sportbike, especially the Busa are your own, not hype, nor ego.  I single out the Busa here because unless you specifically want a Busa there are alot of sport bikes out there that are much lighter, easier to handle, more forgiving, and less expensive.

<span style='color:blue'>Rubberside</span> I think your wrong in regards to dirt bike experiance.  All of the things you learn riding in the dirt can save your Ass on the road, statistics bear this out.  Sliding around on wet/dirty streets is a non event if you have a dirt background, without it I see guys get all peg happy and start over correcting etc...Dirt bikes are probably the best place to learn bike control, besides the wrecks are a whole lot cheaper and less painfull.

I agree with your point regarding instinct though, I think Everyone on this board probably has that buddy, you know who it is, the one guy/Gal who you just know isn't going to last long, the one you told not to get a bike, the one who never listens to advice then stabs the rear brake in panic in a reducing radius corner...  He/she is usually the one that cannot drive worth a sh*t as well.  You know who I am talking about they seem to lack all mechanical sympathy and just really do nto seem to have any place operating anything mechanical...trouble with pencil sharpners...copy machines...bicycles... :)

<span style='color:crimson'>Pacemaker</span> has a point as well, The Busa is extremely seductive, it makes me think of the Sirens of mythology, calling, teasing men to their dooms...you gotta keep you head together.

One last thing if you Finance you might have to carry full coverage insurance, be sure to get a quote before getting to excited. I have heard some remarkable numbers tossed out by the teens and twenty somethings trying to insure this bike.

just be wise. the busa can be a great street bike. It can be a vicious beast also. Remember leave your passion at home there is only serenity. Seek out knowledge about the bike and its capabilities. Never ride with hate always be at peace with this bike.

Uh Yeah, What RCCola said,
Get Zen with your bike, or maybe ask yourself...How would Buddha ride a Busa?

I'm just playing..
tounge.gif

I agree with your point regarding instinct though, I think Everyone on this board probably has that buddy, you know who it is, the one guy/Gal who you just know isn't going to last long, the one you told not to get a bike, the one who never listens to advice then stabs the rear brake in panic in a reducing radius corner...  He/she is usually the one that cannot drive worth a sh*t as well.  You know who I am talking about they seem to lack all mechanical sympathy and just really do nto seem to have any place operating anything mechanical...trouble with pencil sharpners...copy machines...bicycles... :)
Very astute.  Excellent call Revlis

Unlike some countries where you are limited on which bikes you can ride until you gain the experience "needed", you can go out and buy a busa when you first get your motorcycle permit.  Wether you think you can handle one or not, if the average joe wants one and can afford one, he/she will get one.  Take a good look at your riding ablities and go from there.  Even though most people don't take my advice.. ahem refering to the quote, I still say start with a VF500 or Ninja500  until you can't get what you need out of that bike anymore, and start moving up from there.

P.S. I'm 21 and started on an 78 SR500, then an 81 XV920 then a 99 zrx1100 now a busa. Only other difference is that I have 120K + street miles to my name

-John

<span style='color:blue'>Rubberside</span> I think your wrong in regards to dirt bike experiance.  All of the things you learn riding in the dirt can save your Ass on the road, statistics bear this out.  Sliding around on wet/dirty streets is a non event if you have a dirt background, without it I see guys get all peg happy and start over correcting etc...Dirt bikes are probably the best place to learn bike control, besides the wrecks are a whole lot cheaper and less painfull.

I agree with your point regarding instinct though, I think Everyone on this board probably has that buddy, you know who it is, the one guy/Gal who you just know isn't going to last long, the one you told not to get a bike, the one who never listens to advice then stabs the rear brake in panic in a reducing radius corner...
4 sure dirt bikin' can help . I just wanted to make sure the guy realized (and any one else thinkin bout goin from dirt to street) that the two are apples an' oranges . An apple bein' a 1978 DT 175 Enduro , and an orange bein' a 2004 burnt "ORANGE" Suzuki Hya-mutha-fricken-fast-busa . Sure we can sit an' talk all day about how dirt experience can help. Normally thou...unless you've had a few(beers), the tree's,stumps,berms,dont cut you off on the freeway.
The riders Jonh Britten picked to ride his one of a kind Britten Bikes outa New Zealand , you know, the ones with 180 horse power even way back then , the ones he made for Daytona . The riders were lucky to have had some dirt experience . Althou classed as superbikes,they had to be ridden like GP bikes, doing alot of the steering with the rear wheel .Dirt experience . (the front wheel didn't spend alot of time on the ground) . Happy Hayabusa-ing Everybody .

Yeah Rubberside I gotcha, I cannot really remember the last time I sat on a CR125 the weighed in over 500LBS or had 100ftlbs of Torque. Besides foot down, rear tire spinning away is a rough way to make sharp corners on the road. I think one of the biggest benefits of dirt experiance is getting alot of your early riding crashing out of the way, dirts pretty soft.
In regards to John Britten, man it's too bad he isn't still around, his bikes were way ahead of their time and looked just crazy.

Thanks for everyone's reply, even Stunnahs. I have to say, and I know yall know, I'm still going to get one, i have to take advantage of the prices here in Japan. HOWEVER, reading everybody's opinion on what NOT to do WILL stick in my mind while I ride, not to mention those damn xrays of (i forgot who) the guy that panicked on an unknown sharp turn and hit a tree, good Lord. As far as insurance, in Japan its cheap, and when i get back to the states I'll be 25 and thats the age (ive heard) when it drops, especially since i dont have anything on my record. I guess its a topic where you can go back and forth with a million different reasons why or why not to get one, but i just wanted to see your opinions in my specific scenario. Thanks again

on a different note, i didnt know Rosie O'donnel? was a biker, wouldnt surprise me i guess, her being a lezzie and all but still

i took out the link so i wouldnt offend anyone, just in case anyone knew her, which i thought nobody would but its a small world

Back