Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Thinking about a Hayabusa as a first bike?

I have been reading all of the post in this forum for several months. *I think that I've read each and every entry at least twice. *And I have to say that I am happy that each and everyone of them is there. *Thank all of you who have taken time to submit an entry. *I began thinking about buying a Busa as my 1st sportbike last summer after a trip to visit family in Los Angeles. *I wanted to hear peoples opinions and have as much information as I could before making a decision. *Well I eventually bought a 2006 Hayabusa and I feel like I did the right thing - FOR ME.I LOVE IT!

I don't have enough time or experience on the Busa to make a suggestion as to what others should do when they are considering the Busa as a first bike. *I just would like to encourage them to read the information in this forum. *Whether it leads to a Busa purchase or something else. It's great information to have. *And it made me feel better about the decesion I was about to make. *I knew before buying the Busa that it was dangerous, exhilarting, expensive, heart stopping fast, and required the most responsible mind, so on and so on. *please read it's worth the time.

X,
    2006 Busa
    Dynojet Power Commander
    Yoshimura RS-3
    Puig DB Shield
    Custom Undertail W/turn signals
    Tobin Custom Gel Seat
    HID Dual Headlight Kit
    (More to come)

Bad Teddy likes this.
    06' Blue/Grey, Custom seat covers, Chrome Wheels, K&N Filter, Power Commander, Yoshi RS-3, More to come

Member of P.E.A.
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Xavius @ Apr. 02 2008, 1:14 PM
    I have been reading all of the post in this forum for several months. *I think that I've read each and every entry at least twice. *And I have to say that I am happy that each and everyone of them is there. *Thank all of you who have taken time to submit an entry. *I began thinking about buying a Busa as my 1st sportbike last summer after a trip to visit family in Los Angeles. *I wanted to hear peoples opinions and have as much information as I could before making a decision. *Well I eventually bought a 2006 Hayabusa and I feel like I did the right thing - FOR ME.I LOVE IT!

I don't have enough time or experience on the Busa to make a suggestion as to what others should do when they are considering the Busa as a first bike. *I just would like to encourage them to read the information in this forum. *Whether it leads to a Busa purchase or something else. It's great information to have. *And it made me feel better about the decesion I was about to make. *I knew before buying the Busa that it was dangerous, exhilarting, expensive, heart stopping fast, and required the most responsible mind, so on and so on. *please read it's worth the time.

X,
    2006 Busa
    Dynojet Power Commander
    Yoshimura R-77
    Puig DB Shield
    Custom Undertail w/turn signals
    Tobin Custom Gel Seat
    HID Dual Headlight Kit
    (More to come)
    Good deal Marcus, now, how about of pic of your 06?
    Do you know God? http://www.lifechurch.tv/

Its a Jeep thing, you wouldnt understand!

Here it is outside my home in Anchorage, Alaska
    See yall in future posts.
    Marcus

re posts!
    06' Blue/Grey, Custom seat covers, Chrome Wheels, K&N Filter, Power Commander, Yoshi RS-3, More to come

Iam new to this org stuff... but i learned on a yamaha virago 250 then a cbr600 then a skirtsta....then jumped on the busa it scared the **** out of me... lets be honest thats why i brought it... but with out knowing how to ride a bike i think there was no way i could have controlled it...

Banned
    Images

In my opinion why discourage anyone from buying a busa, a beginner can get killed on a 250cc

New to the bd....not new to bikes...BUT, it's been a while...and lookin' at the Busa....and lots of 'em are available out there...prices all over the place...so it'll be study time for me. *Any and all help appreciated...and thanks for the posting on "Thinking about a Hayabusa as a first bike".

Other concerns...reliability...never having owned a Suzuki....lotsa others and some nameless green machine that never seemed to get past a year on motors. *So concerns are how much upkeep, etc...I mean...i.e. the BSA Hornet I had years ago...ate plugs...fresh tune Sat. and cutting out on Thurs. *So constructive input sought. *You folks are there already...whatz yer take? *

thanks, *unk greg

New Recruit

Just adding my two cents. My first sportbike was a Kawi ZX6R. I rode it for a little over two years. Prior to getting the Kawi, I took a motorcycle saftey course at the local tech college. I must say that the saftey course taught me a great deal about riding, no matter what machine you ride. I have been a Busa owner now for about three months.Honestly, there is nothing like it. It is all about respecting the bike and riding within your limits. It takes time to develop skill and it also takes common sense to recognize what you can and can't do.

Shadow.

New Recruit

Just adding my two cents. My first sportbike was a Kawi ZX6R. I rode it for a little over two years. Prior to getting the Kawi, I took a motorcycle saftey course at the local tech college. I must say that the saftey course taught me a great deal about riding, no matter what machine you ride. I have been a Busa owner now for about three months.Honestly, there is nothing like it. It is all about respecting the bike and riding within your limits. It takes time to develop skill and it also takes common sense to recognize what you can and can't do.

Shadow.

I will say that the busa was my first bike...ever!! I respected the bike so much. People see you on a busa and just expect you to be a pro and to be real wild too. As long as you know what you have and are not easily influneced by what others think then you will be fine. I work at a bike shop and I have kids coming in day after day saying "I have never ridden b4 and wanted to start out on something small like a cbr600rr or a gsxr600 and I just want to slap them. I am 19 and have more of a grasp on reality then most 25 year olds out their. A 600 is small by no means. High horse power and a short wheelbase calls for easy one wheel action and very unpredictable through the corners. I like to point out to those people the 08 ninja 250. Complete resyling of the whole bike and more mid range power. I have a co-worker who teaches for the Mike Sullivan school of racing and he is considering buying a 250 to teach on, and with that said around the track he would smoke any new rider on a 600 or even a leater bike. Lets be real for a min kids who just start ridding are watching all those stunt vids and wanting to do that. I would not recomend an sv650 for a first bike either. V-twin=lots of low end torque....wheelie!! Go with like a gs500 or even a gsx600f. Thats is just what I think but the choice is up to you.

It's riding a bike not rocket science, doesn't matter what u learn to ride on it's all about common sense, my first bike wasa a 08 Busa no, problems at all, I think because people start out with smaller bikes they're use to one thing then hop on a busa and it's like whoa my old bike didn't respond this way but if u start at the top that wow factor isn't there u already know the power and respect it, that is your point of reference, practice follow rules take a safety class watch out for idiots and it's all good.

In regard to the Busa for a first bike? I would say no not a good idea, in my opinion. I would suggest that someone totally new to riding learn on something a little more docile and a little smaller. They are less likely to get into a situation over their riding skills so fast. Something that accelerates this fast can get you into trouble faster than most people can think and react. I do not recommend too small of a bike either, underpowered and too light is not good either. Power can be good at getting one out of a bad situation once in a while too. I would suggest something moderate in power and size for a new rider. Another very important thing, in my opinion, is how does the bike fit and feel to the individual. A lot of bikes are more than adequate power wise, look for comfort and how it fits you too.

I am new to this board. Very interesting learning about the Busa. I have heard a lot about it but never really researched it until just very recently.I am 60 y.o. and have been riding motorcycles since I was 18 years old. Although, I did not ride for a few years while raising a family. Most recently, I have been riding a Harley for the last 10 years. I am looking for a new bike and doing research. I like the Harley in some ways, but next bike will not be a Harley, too expensive for what it is and they are way behind in technology and safety as far as I am concerned. My riding experience has been street bikes: 750 Hondas and Yamahas, and cruisers: Harleys. Would I ride a Busa at 60 y.o.? Yes, as I am still in very good physical shape and healthy. But I ride a heck of a lot more sensably than I would did when I was 20 y.o. Also I learned a lot about defensive riding over the years. I do not ride beyond my ability, it is not my riding that ever caused problems, it was idiots in cars pulling out in front of me or passing me and pulling in on me. Although have gone down on sand on a corner a time or two on a Honda many years ago. I learned long ago to respect a machine, not to fear it as it is an inaminate object, but dang well to respect it and to know very well ones ability and what a machine can or can't do.

Even at my age I would have no worries about useing a Busa as a commuter to work where I live. I drive 27 miles to work one way all through rural areas and only one very small town to ride through. I like big heavy bikes and haveing the power on hand to pass whenever I want is something I like.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Thanks
    Lonnie

Images

The busa is my first bike and I have no problems at all. An idiot came die on a moped just as easily
    USAF Veteran: 5 tours to Iraq and would rather die on a busa than in that s*** hole!!!

'02 Busa
    '97 Mustang Cobra

Hello, well I've just signed up today and found this particular post amazingly helpful. I wanted the Busa as a first(well sorta first) bike.
    I'm now looking into a Kat. I'm still currently undecided. I'm not stupid, I've always been cautious. I've already dropped a bike once, it scared me enough. Anyways, I'm overly cautious and will be paying for this myself, so I will have the worry of it costing me. I've probably been riding since I was about twelve, but nothing exactly powerful. The Busa would still be overkill wouldn't it?
    I'll probably buy the Katana, thanks for this, the info was extremely helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FLCN72 @ Feb. 03 2004, 12:58 PM
    You are wondering if the Hayabusa might be too much bike. �You are considering a Hayabusa for your first bike. �
    I have been riding since about 1983.
    I have ridden lots of fast, faster and really fuggin fast bikes, and my opinion of the busa as a first bike is as follows:

Not a recommended choice. Period.

For seasoned riders, it is still a handfull.
    2008 Suzuki Hayabusa
    Yosh RS3 full system
    Tuned by Wheeler

Quote Originally Posted by FLCN72 @ Feb. 03 2004, 9:58 AM
    You are new to this board. �You are new to motorcycling. �You are considering buying your first motorcycle or first sport bike. �You are thinking about getting yourself a Hayabusa. �You are wondering if the Hayabusa might be too much bike. �You are considering a Hayabusa for your first bike. �If some of those statements apply to you, then take a few minutes and read this post.

First off, welcome to Hayabusa.Org. �This is, in my opinion, the best Hayabusa dedicated web site out there. �We have a nice community of riders here who share an interest in the world�s fastest stock motorcycle. �Many of the folks here are the most helpful and knowledgeable Hayabusa enthusiasts you�re likely to find. �

This is a great place to learn about the Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa. �And it is a good idea to learn about this bike before buying it. �Just about every Busa topic imaginable has been discussed here. �The forums contain answers to a huge range of questions and are a very valuable resource to any prospective owner. �

One of the most common questions asked around here concerns whether or not someone should buy a Hayabusa. �This tends to come up a lot. �There is just something about the Hayabusa that draws people to it. �It is distinctive, relatively uncommon, interesting, and infamous because of its performance and top speed. �Often folks who have begun looking into bikes discover the Busa and fall for it. �If this sounds like you, then what can I say... �You�ve got good taste.

However, the Hayabusa isn�t a beginner�s bike. �I�m sorry. �It just isn�t. �That isn�t what many new riders want to hear, especially if the Hayabusa is what really fuels their desire to get a bike. �This leads to disappointment and maybe a little resentment. �I promise you, I�m not saying the bike is too good for you or any other elitist crap. �I want more Hayabusa owners and if you love the bike too, then you ought to get one at some point.

There are few bikes worse suited to beginning riders than the Hayabusa. �Learning to ride is a process that involves making mistakes. �Often those mistakes cause a loss of balance which can send the bike down onto its side, especially at low speeds like in the driveway or a parking lot. �As beautiful as all that Busa plastic is, it is also very easy to damage and very expensive to replace. �$600 for one of the side panels. �$400 for a nose. �A simple mistake and a slow drop could cost you $1000 or more to fix.

The legendary power of the Hayabusa is also very attractive and is also dangerous. �This bike will out accelerate any car the average person has even been near. �From a standing start the bike can break most highway speed limits in less than 5 seconds and that is just in first gear! �Second gear can take you to speeds higher than the top speeds of most cars and there are four more gears after that.

Learning how to control that power is vital. �Unintentionally spinning the rear tire can happen very easily. �And unlike a car if the back end gets a little loose on a bike, it can be very hard to regain control which leads to highside crashes. �(When the bike straightens suddenly as the rear tire grabs again, throwing the rider off and in front of the bike.) �It takes throttle control and an instinctive feel for the clutch to harness all that power safely. �A healthy dose of good judgment doesn�t hurt either. �And those are not skills that a new rider has automatically. �It takes practice.

That practice is best performed on a bike with a learning curve a little less steep than the Hayabusa. �Some will say that a 600cc super sport, like a Honda CBR600, is a good first bike. �I respectfully disagree. �Those bikes can still break 140 MPH easily and are also covered in lots of expensive plastic like the Hayabusa. �

A far better choice is the Suzuki SV650. �It has plenty of power to scoot down the road and will still out accelerate most cars out there at a stop light. �It has a wide power band, so proper gear selection isn�t critical -- a handy trait when you are learning to shift. �It is light and inexpensive. �You can really throw it around under you and correct steering mistakes with a minimum of fuss. �Plus those inevitable low speed drops will not ruin the bike. �With a couple of inexpensive frame sliders installed, the bike will probably survive most falls with no damage at all. �There are a ton of after market goodies available to customize it or squeeze a few more ponies out the motor. �And because they are so popular, it is easy to resell them.

There are other good choices too. �What is boils down to is getting an inexpensive bike with a minimum of plastics. �And please, please take the Basic Rider Course from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation, if you haven�t already. �Then ride as much as possible. �Have fun learning a new passion. �Then when you feel like you�ve got the confidence and skills, go Busa shopping.

Still not convinced? �Then consider the economic angle. �If you are under 25, the insurance on the Busa is going to be killer, more than twice the cost of a SV650. �Every drop, even in the garage will hurt, often to the tune of $600. �Tires are $140 or so. �The rear will need a replacement about every 5000 miles or less. �And the bike itself usually costs more than $10,000 new. �So let's say you get the Busa and finance it with monthly payments and a 10% down payment. �You ride a lot and play with that power some, somehow without getting hurt or crashing. �So two new rear tires in the first year. �Had to get full coverage insurance for the bank. �And there were two unfortunate drops, nothing serious but some fairings and bits had to be replaced. �That first year of ownership cost you $6000 plus gas. �More than the cost of a brand new Suzuki SV650.

Ultimately we buy what we choose to buy. �But the Busa will still be available six months or two years from now. �If you are careful about how you learn to ride and on what, you will be too. �And that Busa will be far more enjoyable and less intimidating if you practiced your basic riding skills on something better suited to it. �

In the meantime, keep coming here and posting and reading. �There are a lot of great folks here and good stories to tell and hear. �Not having a Hayabusa doesn�t disqualify you from being a friend or a fellow enthusiast.
    After 7 years on a Bandit 600 S...

DAMN'D RIGHT

Every single word.

Thanks!

McOrion

P.s. after reading It's correct also to write "why I do agree".

Well,

Shortly after buying Bandit as my first bike (I was 26 years old) I falled in love with first Hayabusa.

In all past years everything happened to me.

Emergency situations, big mistakes, distractions and so on.

When you are 12.000 rpm with a 600 Bandit you are at a not killer speed, generally, with a 1200 Bandit frame under you. It's oversized and saves your life.

If you overaccelerate in a curve with a Bandit, nothing happens.

If you overaccelerate at a crossing due to a too heavy passenger with a Bandit, your front wheel will go up just a bit or nothing at all.

If you wish to 'round a curve' perfectly but fast and noisy, it's better at 8.000 rpms with a Bandit (60Mph per hours and you feel happy anyway) than with a Busa (same situation, 2.000 boring rpms or 120Mph at noisy rpms)

If you 'land' your bike (I did three times, two stopped and one riding, just last Saturday evening after 30.000Kms of peace!) yes, Bandit is cheap to repair. Mine is an 'S' so it's a bit more expensive but $500/750 in a small incident and that's all.

Bandit is so low powered you can really do ANY mistake and your bike pardons you.

Busa is so powerful that any mistake arrives amplified to wheel, to brake, to... plastics.

I would never racommend a Busa as first bike at any age (first bike).

I would never raccommend a Busa as second bike to a perfon which is not mature enough (or skilled enough but preferibly both).

Not last, to pass a car with a Bandit requires correct procedures and time.

Even an idiot can pass everything on road with a Busa.

With Bandit you must learn. With Busa you just pass...

P.p.s. on snow Bandit goes not so bad, I tryed ;-)

Talking Re: Thinking about a Hayabusa as a first bike?

Well, back when I was considering a ZX-11, and had not ridden for a few years,
    the dealer said. "You got to be careful with these things, they can come around and bite you in the a**"
    I never forgot that. After owning a FZR1000, and Katanna1100 for the past 12 years I could not agree more. Any liter +- sport bike today has enough power to slam a newbie so hard and fast they would never know is was coming. In my opinion, a Busa as a first bike should be only considered if the buyer is starting a museum. But what a nice start!

New Recruit
    Images

Default Re: Thinking about a Hayabusa as a first bike?

Well, only street bike I have had was a Ninja 250. That ended in a horrible accident when I was 22. I have ridden here and there ever since. Mostly on my best friends bikes he as had. CBR954RR, 750 Ninja, and now his GSXR 1000. The Gixer is the fastest bike I have been on. He has it all done up with the PC3, exhaust, and all.

I decided on the Busa, mainly for the looks and size. I am a big guy, and look kinda stupid, even on my buddys liter bike. I have been through all the adrenaline/speed times in my life with my mustangs I used to own. I am settled down now and just want to cruise and take some bike trips with my wife. She is getting a S50 Boulevard. She doesnt like sportbikes much, and fell in love with the boulevard.

I hope to be getting my bike either next weekend or the weekend after. Waiting on money. Sold my Chevy 2500HD to my dad, and waiting on him to pay me. Now I will be riding a bike most days to work, and on bad days, I am getting me a Ford ranger.

thanks for the knowledge everyone!!

Member of P.E.A.
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by oklazukguy View Post
    Well, only street bike I have had was a Ninja 250. That ended in a horrible accident when I was 22. I have ridden here and there ever since. Mostly on my best friends bikes he as had. CBR954RR, 750 Ninja, and now his GSXR 1000. The Gixer is the fastest bike I have been on. He has it all done up with the PC3, exhaust, and all.

I decided on the Busa, mainly for the looks and size. I am a big guy, and look kinda stupid, even on my buddys liter bike. I have been through all the adrenaline/speed times in my life with my mustangs I used to own. I am settled down now and just want to cruise and take some bike trips with my wife. She is getting a S50 Boulevard. She doesnt like sportbikes much, and fell in love with the boulevard.

I hope to be getting my bike either next weekend or the weekend after. Waiting on money. Sold my Chevy 2500HD to my dad, and waiting on him to pay me. Now I will be riding a bike most days to work, and on bad days, I am getting me a Ford ranger.

thanks for the knowledge everyone!!
    Cool deal, your just a spit and hollar south of me.
    Do you know God? http://www.lifechurch.tv/

Its a Jeep thing, you wouldnt understand!

New Recruit
    Images

True. My buddy I was speaking of lives in Tulsa right now. His perm residence is in Phoenix, where he went to and finished MMI. Now he is going to Tulsa welding school. When I get my Busa, I should be making more trips up that direction to ride with and visit him. Maybe catch up with you and have a brew.

Great info,All that said, what would be the shortest you think a rider should be? Im about 5'8" 185 51 years old, had three bikes before, years ago when the wheels werent quite as round as they are today, so do you you guys think im to short to handle this bike Thanks Dwayne

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)