Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Thinking about a Hayabusa as a first bike?

Wag
    Evil Demon Busa Rider

I used to be pretty much a Nazi about keeping newbies off of Busas. I've had a change of heart, to a degree, however.

Now, however, I think it's a matter of simply thinking it through as opposed to just doing it lightly.

--Wag--
    "Morality is doing what is right no matter what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told no matter what is right. " -- Unknown

Collector of Toyz

My first bike 12 years ago was a Katana750. I was dumber then and never bothered to take a MSF course. It only took me 3 months to wreck that bike and severly wreck my body. My inexperience led me to high side. I will just say that I was going to fast, was afraid of the front brake and had never even heard the term "high side". I was in a cast from my stomach to my shoulders with a badly dislocated and broken shoulder and in a wheel chair with a fractured hip. That sucked! *

My next bike a year later was a Harley Fat boy. This time I took the MSF course and rode the way a Harley should be ridden... like a cruiser. I bought several more bikes and built a couple of publicized customs.

However, in June of this year a friend convinced my to get back in Sportbikes. I called the dealer looking for an 06LE. They had one left. the first thing the Dealer *asked me is "How long have you been riding?" I explained that I had not ridden a sportbike in 12 years and that the time in between had been spent on cruisers and choppers. He did his best to talk me out of a Busa.

That being said, I bought it, have customized it and ride it as often as possible. However, I never forget its power. The 12 years since my last accident have given me the opportunity to mature. I don't need to go from 0 to 80 between lights, don't need to ride wheelies and I don't need to be able to lick the ground when I am cornering.

I think the bike is fine for a first time rider. As many have said here, "Any bike can kill you". It is all about respecting the machine and more importantly your own skill level.

Ride safe!

06 LE, Brocks StreetMeg, PCIII, Gilles Rearsets, Hotbodies Undertail, Pazzo Levers, Raptor Shift Light, Puig CF DB, Scorpio SR-i500SE alarm, Tobin seat, GIXX1300R Extensions, GiPro w/ATRE, CM's billet Sprocket & Clutch covers, Dymag CF/Mag wheels, EBC Contour rotors, 16/42 sprockets, much more.

If a busa is what you want for a first bike then by all means go for it. I personally wanted to by a bike "ONCE" and not do the 4 or 5 step program and work up to a busa. I had no riding experinece until my neighbor showed me to ride his honda magna. After a crash course in bike controls, I went around the block and then made a second pass and I was hooked. My wife and I did like a lot of sport bikes but the BUSA stood out the most and shortly after 2 weeks of looking, she bought me one and I have been the happiest man alive. I'll be 37 tomorrow and have to date put 3456 miles on my precious hayabusa and have not layed her down, wrecked, although I have power slid twice and made several 150mph blasts down I564. The bike is a blast to drive and does awesome in the straights and just as well and nimble as the smaller bikes in the twisties (past experience). If you get the busa, RESPECT the machine....if you don't she'll remind you quickly why she's the queen of the road. Take it slow and grow into the bike and ride responsibly. There's a time to cut loose and a time to chill....you'll figure it out. Enjoy and be safe.....we'll see you out there.
    06 Silver/Blue Hayabusa
    polished swing arm and frame
    frame sliders
    chrome bar ends and grips
    drilled cans

02 True Blue Mustang GT w/minor bolt ons
    290 rwhp

I agree! *It was ironic reading this post, because I started riding with my first bike as an SV650S. *As a new rider, this was the bike recommended to me by the Suzuki dealer. *I never dropped the bike, but did make some mistakes that would probably have resulted in dropping the bike if it were as powerful as a Busa. *Although I'm a Busa owner now, I loved my SV650S, and it's plenty of bike for a new rider. *I got comments on it everytime I rode. *
    06LE Busa - Full Muzzy exhaust, PCIII, K&N filter, Galfer SS Brake Lines, Tobin Seats, PM Wheels, Pit Bull Spiked Collar, Illumiglo gauges, 42 th rear sprocket, Speedo-healer, custom front fender & rear hump. . . And in case you didn't notice, CHROME!

I started with a 1980 gs1000 as a first bike, and in 1980, it was supposed to be the baddest bike on the street. I then stepped up to a Busa, it`s night and day with the new technology we have today. The 1000 was fast, but the Busa is pretty scary at first. I just paced myself and got used to the bike. I can still scare myself, but the bike is such a rush to ride. I would say if you are afraid of alot of power and speed, you should maybe start with a 600 and build your confidence up. To be honest, I still scare myself sometimes. I have laid it down once. Only cosmetic damage($1800 worth). Good luck in your decision. HARDCORE 1299

Hi every one, This is some of the best stuff I ever heard.Non bias,truthfull and smart.Being a new street rider, I picked my 04 blue and silver salvage w/7400 mi. for $4700.Did all the work myself less the paint I have about $1000 into the bike.When the bike was done the first ride on the bike was very comfortable,a bike that could be ridden all day.The only thing was it is the fastest thing that you could ride without being strapped on.I have 10 years ov dirt time and some street time on borrowed bikes.It just seems like you have to take your time an Know when you open the throttle things happen faster than normal people think.My word is be carefull on any bike you buy and ride safe and within your limits and skill level.RESPECT!!!!!!

71 Big Block Chevelle
    04 KTM 200 SX

Life - tastes like chicken!

Houston, pulling feathers out of my gear!

I bought my '06 in May of last year. I had some old dirt and street experience and a few hundred recent miles on a beat up FZR my son dragged home. We took the MSF course together, and I bought her 3 weeks later. I was scared as hell when I rode away from the dealer. Never been on a bike like this before and had no idea what to expect. She was very smooth and it didn't take long to get used to the weight. I ride allot - almost everyday. I've put on close to 15k miles in 9-10 months. You never get tired of the grace and power. This bike has a mystique like no other.
    Be mature beyond your years when getting to know this bike and never trust a cager to do what they look like they will do.
    Even now, everytime I juice the throttle I learn a litte more about this bike. The power is extremely addictive. As everyone else has said....STAY WITHIN YOUR RIDING LIMITS!!! There is nothing worse than getting in trouble on any bike - especially this one.

Enjoy and be safe!
    Bill

tog

ok
    i've read both entire threads on this subject here and it really makes me think

here is my situation
    ex college OL
    6'5 415lbs or so
    36 years old
    have never ridden but always been into bikes, reading about them, talking, etc

i know the power to weight ratio is still explosive compared to anything i have ever been in or on
    but just thinking ergos and suspension and stability for someone like me that really has no interest in cruisers ---

i have no desire to carve it up on the twisties or to set land speed records
    i just want to ride
    and to maybe commute the back roads if it is nice out

suggestions? ideas?
    criticism welcomed

yeah
    i know
    lose weight
    workin on it
    but two bad kness don't help

this urge has always been there

i guess it was the ride on the ninja in the parking lot in high school

Absolutely no way is the Busa a first bike. Maybe not even a 2nd bike. I started on Yamaha RD250 to RD400 to a 1982 GS1100E. Next was a CBR Hurricane then a Busa. Plus I had dirt bike experience before any street bike entered the picture. Be honest. Do you want a 180+ mph sport bike as your first bike?
    2007 Blue Hayabusa
    2006 CBR600F4I
    1993 CBR1000F

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Life - tastes like chicken!

Houston, pulling feathers out of my gear!

<div>
    (Team Bob @ Aug. 02 2007,21:16)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Absolutely no way is the Busa a first bike. Maybe not even a 2nd bike. I started on Yamaha RD250 to RD400 to a 1982 GS1100E. Next was a CBR Hurricane then a Busa. Plus I had dirt bike experience before any street bike entered the picture. Be honest. Do you want a 180+ mph sport bike as your first bike?</div>
    It only goes 180 when you make it go 180.

JMO

tog

would it even get close with someone like me on it anyhow?

tog

also
    with the new drive mode selector

how much would this help?

for the lowest level, what does it make the power ratings?

Quote Originally Posted by PaNDeM1C @ Sep. 06 2006, 5:42 PM
    <!--QuoteBeginegpxusn2k11+Apr. 30 2006,16:52--><div>.

..br>Since most Busa owners do mods, you'll be hardpressed to find a stock 14 or modded that can take a vet Busa owner...
    I can think of one! * *

An idiot will always be an idiot whether he's on a busa or walkin on foot

hi guys and girls. im in the market for a hayabusa. i love them but have never ridden one. the best reason i want one is because they are so comfortable. i am 6ft 3in. so that is very important to me. im looking at 05 to 07 models. give me going prices for these models under 10k on the miles!! thanks!!
    jaydub71

Hayabusa Immortal

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jaydub71 @ Jan. 30 2008, 4:41 AM
    hi guys and girls. im in the market for a hayabusa. i love them but have never ridden one. the best reason i want one is because they are so comfortable. i am 6ft 3in. so that is very important to me. im looking at 05 to 07 models. give me going prices for these models under 10k on the miles!! *thanks!!
    it would depend on the mods it has and whether your shopping at a stealership but i would say 7,000-9,000

to the org. by the way.
    Grip it and rip it!

do you have any suggestions of companies that offer financing for people with fair credit?
    jaydub71

First bike 2000 fireblade Ducati hit me head on, writeoff, 3 months later bought a specialy built 24,000 worth of R1/7 2000 reg built for the isle of man TT with 185 bhp 3 weeks later hit from behind by another Ducatti, no real damage kept bike for 3 years.
    Bought 2006 R1 6 weeks later delivery van did not see me and reversed into me. still got that 1, trading it in against a 08 Busha. so hoping this 1 will be ducatti and van proof. As pointed out there is a lot of plastics, and as Ive never ridden a busha im hoping to learn the bike without the bad luck Ive had with every new bike.
    If I wanted to go slow.. I would get off and walk !!!
    And hung like a donkey

Member of P.E.A.
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jaydub71 @ Jan. 31 2008, 6:14 PM
    do you have any suggestions of companies that offer financing for people with fair credit?
    Believe it or not, state farm will finance and insure you. They have very competitive rates.
    Do you know God? http://www.lifechurch.tv/

Its a Jeep thing, you wouldnt understand!

Member of P.E.A.
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Prezzo @ Feb. 02 2008, 2:02 AM
    First bike 2000 fireblade Ducati hit me head on, writeoff, *3 months later bought a specialy built 24,000 worth of R1/7 2000 reg built for the isle of man TT with 185 bhp 3 weeks later hit from behind by another Ducatti, no real damage kept bike for 3 years.
    Bought 2006 R1 *6 weeks later delivery van did not see me and reversed into me. still got that 1, trading it in against a 08 Busha. so hoping this 1 will be ducatti and van proof. As pointed out there is a lot of plastics, and as Ive never ridden a busha im hoping to learn the bike without the bad luck Ive had with every new bike.
    Good luck, and stay away from the Duc's!
    Do you know God? http://www.lifechurch.tv/

Its a Jeep thing, you wouldnt understand!

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)