1999 busa in storage 6 years not starting

tarripn

Registered
got a great deal ona 1999 busa with only 6400 miles on it. bought from a good (girl)friend and she never rode it hardly. new battery and turns over but FI lite is on and it wont start... any suggestions on where to begin would be great... Tarripn

Does the fuel pump prime? Sitting for that long doesn't do good things for many of the connectors on the bike, especially if you are in a humid area. Taking them apart and cleaning may be the easiest, least costly fix. Also, check the voltage on and off. Several other things, but would start with those.

Need to see if your getting fuel, the external pump may be clogged!

so the fuel pump should cycle thru when i turn the key on like my ducatis did BEFORE i even hit the starter correct? she said she had some fuel pump recall performed not long after purchase...?

Fuel pump and gauges should cycle when the key is turned on.

Even if you hear something, you still need to measure the pressure, to see if your getting 43 PSI

ok im onit! ive checked and it is NOT cycling the fuel pump but the gauges do. thanx for the starting direction bigbsbusa and gixerhp ! im already digg'n this site ! i got the bike for 4k and its got 6400 miles and she gave me two NEW in the package side panels. blck/silver. tire date codes 0302...!

You will most likely need to remove the fuel pump and dissemble assembly. You may need gaskets and filters for sure.
here is complete list to rebuild the oem pump,
15142-24F00 O RING
15144-24F00 PACKING
15721-24F00 O RING
15146-24F00 O RING
15146-24F00 O RING
15156-24F00 O RING
15156-24F00 O RING
Now that's is all the internal parts, but you may still need to look at the fuel lines, for collapsed lines, but with time and patience, you should be good!

You will probably also want to put the bike in dealer mode and see if codes are being thrown.

woW thanx ! first...im ordering a repair manual! dealer mode...must know this. fuel pump rebuild...if im lucky. she sent me a message lastnite saying a friend saw some rust in the tank and took it off and resealed it ?! it looks like clean metal using a flashlite ? IF he did put something in there shes not sure , but she cannot recall him removing anything from the tank ? and again she said it had a fuel pump recall not long after she bought it...so time to roll up the sleeves and get it back to life. thnx agian

As for the pump,, old fuel will turn into a varnish like substance, and plug all flow! Everything needs to be checked as well as cleaned!

i really need a book. i lifted the tank just to make sure the electrical connectors were clean and plugged in and if im not mistaken, im looking at a foam wrapped fuel pump ? i thought they were in the tank ? haha im lost.

Not on 99 and 00's they have an external pump, mounted to the throttle bodies!

so are the part numbers you sent me for the external fuel pump ? im glad i didnt get one from ebay that showed fits all 99-07 models ! or can they be retro fitted ? either way ive got a manual coming. thanx again for all your help GSXRHP

hey any tips on where to buy dis-counted oem parts ? the strainer and that small element filter are over $100! what a joke, Suzukis off the price chart there, im sorry. cost about $50 for the 3 o-rings im getting. everything actually isnt too bad but the fuel pump is definately locked up. so new pump and filter and orings (maybe lines?). shoud be back in bitniss, haha. so are we stuck going thru bike bandit or revzilla? thanks for all the help too , tarripn

$400+for an OEM fuel pump. You said it didn't whine when you turned the key on if I read your post correct. If that's true you need to make sure the bike is in neutral, the kickstand is completely up, and the emergency killswitch isn't operated. The pump should cycle. You'll have to pull the clutch in to crank it.

hey any tips on where to buy dis-counted oem parts ? the strainer and that small element filter are over $100! what a joke, Suzukis off the price chart there, im sorry. cost about $50 for the 3 o-rings im getting. everything actually isnt too bad but the fuel pump is definately locked up. so new pump and filter and orings (maybe lines?). shoud be back in bitniss, haha. so are we stuck going thru bike bandit or revzilla? thanks for all the help too , tarripn

Be happy, Gen 2s cost quite a bit more!

ok. ive decided to re-use my cage screen thingy AND my mini paper element filter, only because both seem really clean (it has 6400miles). just the Bottom hanging side of the fuel pump housing had dried molasses , thicker at the bottom than towards the top, and the FP motor wont turn over even when hooked directly to a power source. ive got an Ebay $60 pump on the way, i will install a pre-filter tho. Im thinking about soaking/cleaning the injectors but unless someone has a safe way to do this i may skip it. not SAFE for me but the Injectors. someone said Seafoam but im not a fan....like Dr Pepper, the name fx with me....?! ha

ok, well ive rebuilt the fuel pump using one of those $80 pumps off of ebay, replaced the fried 10a fuse for the fuel pump and it cycled fine but upon starting was very erratic?! almost wanting to clean out but then would slowly die out. if i restarted it the same. almost like once it uses the initial pump pressure the pump is not keeping the system pressured up? thats how it feels. ill do a pump flow test tomorow ( 15 oz for 30 seconds ) along with checking the spark plugs and for good spark...any other suggestions ? oddly i went into that 'dealer mode' and got the req'd -coo with no codes at all ? baffling

hello tarripn, just my 2 cents from my own experience, and admittedly im far from a mech, but i bought my 01 busa with a rusted out gas tank and took to you tube and ebay. i replaced the tank and found a youtube vid on how to make a homemade injector cleaner with a syringe half filled with injector cleaner,some speaker wire, a battery and a switch (i used a doorbell) removed injectors placed into open end of syringe, hooked battery to wires then wires to doorbell and injector and pulsed cleaner both directions through each injector until they all flowed freely.put em back on bike then ran a little less than half a bottle of cleaner through a full tank of high octane gas n hit the road. been runnin smoothly ever since.....that was 2012. hope this helps

Back