New member from mi.

Schwabie33

Registered
Just started getting the fever and figured I would join the forum. Been here many times as a guest, I'm from Milan mi, I have a 99 busa I just finished putting together. I've had 2 busas now and have been in love with them forever. Now I'm not talking biker boys forever I mean as far back as I can remeber "busa". I'm 25 yrs old and am a gage engineer at Chrysler. Have a wife that's in school full time, and work 7 days a week.

Before the Busa I could count on my hands how many times I've rode a streetbike. And after riding them I told myself I didn't want one because it was awkward, uncomfortable.

Little background I come from a big racing family, sand drags, 1/4, dirt bikes. I've been porting heads since I was around 11-12 with everything that had a motor in the garage. And I mean everything weed wacker, leaf blower, to a 5hp riding mower. Anything I could get my hands on i ported. Lately I've been doing a lot of ls heads, but being a hobby I enjoy and working 7 days a week (nignts) while keeping the wife happy is hard to do. She's really cracked down on me the last 2 years as well as all my buddy's because "I'm that guy" that will build something, race it once and sell it. I deff enjoyed the fabricating part more then riding in the past.

Anyway, so I had a guy at work that needed some work done to his Busa, was overheating, engine checked out, and just a good once over. Well Finished that, and went for a small stroll to make sure everything was okay, by the end of the road I knew I was hooked. I'm not a big guy at all 200 pounds soaking wet and 5 10". All I can say is every aspect of the bike fit me perfect.

So anyways, I turn off my road go down a mile onto the on ramp, roll into the throttle hard clicked 2nd, looked down slightly see 110 look up and state cop in median. Not only did I **** myself from how controllable and smooth the power was, also because I just fixed a guys bike with no endorsement, and not knowing if the registration and insurance was in the bike.

I deff lucked out and he didn't pull me over, it's a short on ramp and my only saving grace / guess is there was a car a ways behind me and he just assumed I sped up to merge on. Needless to say I turned around grabbed my wallet and made sure insurance and registration was in there. Needless to say I decided to head the opposite way.

Next day dropped his off and bought a bone stock hayabusa with 1500 original miles for $2500 from a older gentleman that said he bought it brand new rode it once, buddy rode it and it was to fast so he put it away for 6 years. Stopped at local power sports grabbed oil and filter, changed oil (crystal clear) drained gas and coolant replaced. Double checked brakes put battery in and she fired right up. Had my wife come out of house to check it out and to my very big surprise she said she would go for a ride and liked how big it was (no pun intended) and that she wanted to go for a ride. Grabbed our snowmobile helmets pulled out breathers and away we went. Never felt unstable with her on it (first time with a passenger) never got uncomfortable and enjoyed every part of the 2 hr ride. From that day (aug 14) i rode everyday I could to work 100mile round trip.

Well just like with everything the bug hit me and I wanted my "own" bike. So I sold off the Busa (to nice to rip all apart) and bought a 99 that sat and was rode hard.

Buying a house and working so much and 2 vacations (much rather of worked on bike) I hadn't had a lot of time. Over the course of winter I did manage to gather all the parts and last week got a chance to work on it. Lowered, swing arm extensions (getting custom arm built), big bore, redid entire wiring harness that was hacked and taped together with scotch tape, checked every bit and bolt the bike had on it (missing half not joking) and finally painted the fenders I got it back together. I'm sure it will need some tweaking here and there to my liking but none the less I did take it up to the gas station and back. 20degrees out.

All I can say is im so ready for spring to be here. I'm not a speed demon even though Ive raced all my life, I thoroughly just enjoy being on the bike and riding, especially since my wife enjoys it as much. Looking forward to possibly meeting up with some people, or if anyone needs a hand or a welder etc feel free to shoot me a pm, If I don't have it chances are I can get it from buddy's that day. Thanks and I look forward to reading everything on here.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Being in MI myself I know what you mean about warming up.
Pot holes are a major concern too - at least we can dodge some of them on a bike.

Noticed a couple of things on your bike.

Didn't see any mirrors?
No Chain guard?
Need kickstand mod?

and :welcome:

redbusarider, great observations.

Kick stand mod im waiting to see if I like the ride height and I think I'm going to go the route to shorten and weld the foot back on. At work we have 2" thick plates on the ground for the kicker to rest, I want to be sure to measure twice and cut once kinda thing. I think without the plate I would be fine with just the mod.

Mirrors still need to figure out which ones to go with, I don't want to go bulky and I'm trying to keep the "stealth" look, but by no means will I sacrafice my ability to use them; just to go for looks. I am looking for a set of stockers currently to see how they are and maybe modify them slightly, and I am watching a couple sets on eBay.

Chain guard you are 100% correct, im having a swing arm made, and will build one once its on, I'd hate to make it a tad to short.

Thank you very much for bringing your observations to my attention had I already not be in the process of n addressing them I deff would have.

And you are 100% correct on the potholes, we by far have the worst roads out of all states I've been in. It's funny you say that cause yesterday on way to work I was scoping out the highway since the snows gone and the recent rain washed the salt residue off, for the larger potholes.

Anything else you see that needs addressed feel free to let me kno. I don't mind constructive criticism
What so ever. (Except the paint I like it lol) I will post some more pics of it when I get it out in the sun.

redbusarider, great observations.

Kick stand mod im waiting to see if I like the ride height and I think I'm going to go the route to shorten and weld the foot back on. At work we have 2" thick plates on the ground for the kicker to rest, I want to be sure to measure twice and cut once kinda thing. I think without the plate I would be fine with just the mod.

Mirrors still need to figure out which ones to go with, I don't want to go bulky and I'm trying to keep the "stealth" look, but by no means will I sacrafice my ability to use them; just to go for looks. I am looking for a set of stockers currently to see how they are and maybe modify them slightly, and I am watching a couple sets on eBay.

Chain guard you are 100% correct, im having a swing arm made, and will build one once its on, I'd hate to make it a tad to short.

Thank you very much for bringing your observations to my attention had I already not be in the process of n addressing them I deff would have.

And you are 100% correct on the potholes, we by far have the worst roads out of all states I've been in. It's funny you say that cause yesterday on way to work I was scoping out the highway since the snows gone and the recent rain washed the salt residue off, for the larger potholes.

Anything else you see that needs addressed feel free to let me kno. I don't mind constructive criticism
What so ever. (Except the paint I like it lol) I will post some more pics of it when I get it out in the sun.

I guess the only other thing that sticks out to me (right now) is that there is no grab rail for your wife.
Many (including myself) have done the Hump Mod - It allows you to keep the grab rail on all the time, whether you have the seat or the hump on.

If your wife rides with you a lot then a 2 up tank handle might be worth it as I instruct passengers to put there hands on the tank
when we have to stop quickly to keep them from pushing me forward. The handle can be hung on to when taking off fast too.
If she rides with you once in awhile then the Hump mod is free except for a little work. :laugh:

Glad to see another member from MI. I'm from midland. Look into gsxr1000 mirrors from I believe 04. They look pretty good.

Thank you that's exactly what I was looking for, ordered a set.

Red- thank you I hadn't even thought of that to be honest deff something I need to do before she gets on. Appreciate the help.

To all- thanks for the welcome, deff a great forum already.

Back