clutch problem

barkleyw

Registered
Greetings everyone....just bought my first Hayabusa - 1999. When I brought it home I drove it around the block and it ran fine. It needed a new clutch lever so I replaced that and now it seems like the clutch is not fully releasing.

I did not open up the hydraulic reservoir - just pulled the lever off and put a new one on.

Not sure if the lever is related - read some things about cleaning the slave cylinder but it ran fine the last time I parked it a few days ago.

When the clutch lever is fully released the pin that pushes into the reservoir does not appear to be pushing it in.

Thoughts?

Why did it need a new clutch lever?

SEEMS like the clutch is not fully releasing - can you give more detail to this?

Does the bike not run OK? In all gears?

And :welcome:

Thanks - glad to be around a bunch of folks that know this bike as I am still learning.

The clutch lever was broken a few inches up from the end ball.

The bike ran good until I changed the lever....(I also changed the starter and kick stand but don't think they are related)

After I put the lever on I took it for a test spin - got into 2nd but then realized it wasn't fully releasing in 1st or 2nd.

it would drive but no real take off.

I do not have all of the history on this bike - it has been modified but don't know if anything was done to the clutch.

Also - the guy I bought it from said this bike was bored over to 1704cc? Is that even possible?

Trying to learn what I bought here as I never spoke with the previous owner - bought it through a shop.

another thing is the clutch begins to release at the very end position of the lever or right as you are letting go of it. I took the lever off and left it off for a few days - not sure if that contributed to anything?

Not sure what controls the point the clutch engages/disengages but I think if I can adjust that then I can have it release the whole way I think.

Try putting the leaver with the broke tip back on. See if it makes a difference. 1704cc? Would not be streetable. The motor would have issues very quick.

Did you transfer the perch from the old to the new lever? What kind of new lever did you put on it? Why kind of lever was on it before you changed it?

Check that the pushrod of the master cylinder engaged properly with the hole in the brass bush of the lever.....was the brass bush new or from the old lever.
Its very easy to have the bush turn which would basically have the lever simulate clutch action of a half engaged lever.

I added a pic - I used the same brass insert and pushrod - when I took the lever off a rubber seal around the pushrod (dust seal?) came off. The lever I got from ebay - seems to be a direct replacement.

The old one was broken around where the pin goes in - it did work like that though.

Not sure if I need to replace part of the assembly in the master cylinder?

Maybe I did install it wrong?

clutch.jpg

Are you sure that the pin was in the hole of the brass insert, if it was not that would cause the pressure plate to be pushed out too far and lock in place

Are you talking about the pin that holds the lever on or the one that pushes into the master cylinder? The one that goes into the master cylinder/reservoir I had seated all the way into the hole in the brass cylinder/insert...like in the picture.

is it the same length both ends?
it looks backwards!

OK then im at a loss then,, i would now disassemble the clutch and measure the stack.

U probably have a 1299 cc bike but it will run close to 200 MPH :laugh:
Yep you wouldn't street a 1700 anything.

Does the brass insert move freely or is it stuck in one place? Had an aftermarket lever one time that was to tight and wldnt let the brass insert pivot.

Back