Getting a Hayabusa as my first bike to own, I need some help

Nhiro2005

Registered
I am not trolling or anything. I'm 26 and have ridden plenty of bikes without taking the MSF course(which I will definitely take before I purchase a 'busa). I'm not a speed-junkie and I don't do stupid things and I also have an acute sense of my surroundings (never been hospitalized, never been in a car accident, etc.). I have talked myself out of buying one and sticking with a 600, I even convinced myself I was going to get a Zx6R. There is something magnetic that draws me to the 'busa and I'm going to get one. I think it's just a gorgeous bike. I will also stick with a Gen II and ride around in C mode for a while until I feel comfortable. I posted this to ask for help as to how I approach a private seller or dealer. Naturally, anybody will say I am going to die. The funny image I see is me sitting on it in neutral and touching the throttle and the bike exploding whenever anybody tells me the bike will kill me. The bike will do what you tell it, and if you have your wrists planted right with the throttle and use clutch control, it can be a tame bike. I am not overconfident in my abilities and will practice in parking lots, I have been reading all of the tips on this site for a while now. So any tips on how to approach a seller or dealer? I know a dealer can't stop my from buying one in Florida, and I also know people have my best interests in mind, but there pretty much is no stopping me now from buying one. Thanks in advance, and please note that I'm not trying to come off as a jerk or anything :thumbsup:

As you know it's all in the wrist, you can go fast on anything.
Biggest thing is that the Busa is a big and heavy bike.
If you are comfortable sitting on it and have no problems backing it up while on it then you'll be fine.
Everyone has their opinions on the modes, but leave it in A mode and learn what it will do ther. No need to cut the throttle response and learn the bike again. Even in the rain, as again, it's all in the wrist.
You're here now, so you can post up any bike you're looking at and we can tell you if it looks like a good bike and price or not. Other than knowing what you're looking at and what you should pay for it, there's not alot else involved in buying one. Good deals are out there.
:welcome:to the org

So any tips on how to approach a seller or dealer?

If I was the seller, I will ask for your driver's license to verify you have a M/C endorsement on it. Then cash in my hand and title in yours if you want to take it for a test ride. Not sure what the dealer's policy is in your location. Best of luck and welcome.

Like sixpack said, motorcycles don't kill people, people kill people! Use your brain and don't ride it past your abilities and you will be fine. And don't listen to anyone selling you a bike if they mock you for wanting one as your first bike...they just don't know...:laugh:
And welcome!

Don't be naive and think that you will always have 100% control of your wrist at all times. I was having a "spirited" ride on some backroads yesterday and while going around a tight, off camber turn, there was a an unexpected hard bump that ran across the riding surface that caused the bike to momentarily lift off the road. When it came back down, the front end slid just enough to pull the bars a bit forward, causing the throttle to roll on. The busa responded instantly with a power wheelie.

I'm not trying to scare you but just point out that even with the best intentions, stuff happens. And with all that power, the busa can bite you when it does happen. As long as you keep that in the back of your mind, you should be fine.

Oh, and yes, the Busa will kill you! j/k :laugh:

If you are comfortable sitting on it and have no problems backing it up while on it then you'll be fine.
Everyone has their opinions on the modes, but leave it in A mode and learn what it will do ther. No need to cut the throttle response and learn the bike again. Even in the rain, as again, it's all in the wrist.
You're here now, so you can post up any bike you're looking at and we can tell you if it looks like a good bike and price or not. Other than knowing what you're looking at and what you should pay for it, there's not alot else involved in buying one. Good deals are out there.
+10000

Thanks for the warm welcomes! I got a lot more support than I anticipated, and I was thinking of sticking with a Gen II for the power output controls. But now looking at it, I might just get a Gen I since they're about $3k cheaper than Gen IIs :laugh:. I'll keep you guys posted when I get one and when I drop her :stoopid:

it can be done, but....have you owned any bikes or just ridden them? I knew a guy who bought a Cessna 340 for a first airplane and it didn't end well.

You should take the MSF Course. Then take the Experienced course. that way you don't get hit hard on insurance.:moon:

+1...

Hmmm... You could not buy a worse bike to learn to ride on the street. That said - I don't believe learning on a 250 cc or some thing considered more "learners" oriented is really much safer. I think the most important thing in a beginner bike is that you can easily handle the weight off the stand and get both feet firmly on the ground. So if you are physically comfortable with the Busa - then go for it. The real danger is after you've done your parking lot time, started to gain confidence, and feel like you have it basically figured out, maybe a month, six months or a year - that's the time to re-double your efforts to ride safely. Let your guard down and any bike - and especially a "hyperbike" will humble you.

Good luck!

Yeah, I'm 6'1" 245lbs and I work out regularly. I've sat on one and while it's heavier than normal bikes, I can move it around comfortably with both feet on the ground. I'll keep you guys posted once I get the money together to purchase one!

If you'd wanted it bad enough you wouldn't ask us on our opinions. Sense you asked I'd suggest against it. Just saying it's a 14g bike for one and its heavy and freaky fast. There are better bikes for first bikes. My first bike was beat the crap out of. Dropped. Wheelied, wrecked, raced (track). I loved it. It cost me 2500 bucks. Ride a used bike for a couple years and then decide on your dream bike. Mine dream bike is a Ducati but was i going to drop 20g on it for a first bike...no.

If your still not convinced then buy one. Talk your dealer down. they haven't changed sense 2008. I used that excuse and got my 2011 for 11,100 out the door. It's a fun bike, i got a ticket breaking it it. :laugh:

A 600 cc bike can hurt you just a bad as a Busa. Some on on this site made the observation "The Busa has a bad habit of making long strait a ways into short strait a ways very quickly." I council all my buddies who just get into ridding full time, not just every now and then, to get a bike they won't mind dropping and is easy to fix. Or at the least pull all the plastics off so you don't rash it up. One buddy did not take that advice and now is getting good at plastic repairs.

I am not saying a Busa as a first to own bike is bad, just expensive to repair. After all it is your ride and your choice, I just wanted to give you some food for thought.

Use your brain .

Don't be this guy.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

crash - YouTube[/url]

Or this one :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

new Gixxer crashed - YouTube[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
when I bought me first bike a (HD 08 v-rod )I have never been on a bike had it for 3 years then I wanted a sport bike but never even been on one just looked at them. but now I have a 2011 busa and would not sale it for the world . no MSF Course .when I went to buy the busa the salesman started the bike for me. I kinda new how to shift the sales man left it running before I left the parking lot I drove it around put it in c mode then I was ready to to home 50 mile made it 6 blocks went into A mode got the bike home went to park it and I did not no how to turn off the bike so I used the kick stand down and it died so I think I was a newbie I would say go for it but use your head and I found out if you hit the throttle hard in 1st gear the front wheel will come up( LOL)

Back