Hayabusa tune up

TurboTJ

Registered
Hi everyone,

I just traded in my 2007 GSX-R600 for a 2006 Hayabusa. First thing I have to say is THIS THING IS FAST AS F&^$^%&$!!! I want to make sure everything is good to go, so I have a few questions. Here is the bike's info:

• 2006 with 5k miles
  • yoshimura full exhaust
  • k & n filter
  • exhaust manifold gasket leak
  • bouncy speedometer
  • Avon Storm ST rear tire on the way (current rear now has some metal showing...)
  • sometimes a delayed start

I'm guessing it's gone long periods without being ridden.

1. I'm planning on doing the exhaust manifold gasket and spark plugs soon (with oil/filter change) - Is there anything else I should do while I'm at it?

2. Does the bike need a powercommander to run safe air/fuel ratios (thanks to the full exhaust and k & n filter)?

3. How many times should the bike crank over before starting? Should I need to apply throttle to start it?

4. Is there any other maintaince I should think about doing?

This looks like a great community of riders, I'm excited to be joining!!! :beerchug:

Thanks for the help!

-John

Hayabusa 1.jpg

Hey John. Welcome to the Org. Bike looks great. Great bunch of people here and I'm sure you'll have lots of answers soon.

Wow, 5K.. That's practically brand new! Good score and :welcome:

I would get the fluids changed out, clean up the air filter and throw some fresh chain lube on, then get it out for a good long ride. A few tankfulls of gas might help clear it out a bit if it's been sitting around for a while.. You'll have lots of time to chase starting problems down this winter after you've logged some time on your new machine :thumbsup:

Wow, 5K.. That's practically brand new! Good score and :welcome:

I would get the fluids changed out, clean up the air filter and throw some fresh chain lube on, then get it out for a good long ride. A few tankfulls of gas might help clear it out a bit if it's been sitting around for a while.. You'll have lots of time to chase starting problems down this winter after you've logged some time on your new machine :thumbsup:

:welcome: In addition to the above excellent advice, I would check the battery and yes, look into a ECU flash or a PC and a
dyno tune to get the most out of the existing modifications. Great looking scoot!

I was gonna say, make sure the air filter is free of cridders and dirt, battery fully charged and not the original :laugh: well if it's good don't worry about replacing it yet. Always start the bike with the fast idle switched on. A few tanks of gas might do the trick.

Don't know about the gen I but on the gen II is says in the manual keep throttle closed when starting, but if it won't start when hot or other wise open the throttle a bit.

Even though the bike has low miles the battery unless it has been changed is 5 years old now. I would guess that your starting problem could be coming from an old battery. I bought the same year and color as yours a few years ago and it only had 2400 miles on it and the battery was weak. It was very hard to start until I replaced the battery. Fired up every time after that. I could be wrong but it is worth checking out.

Hi, check out that no one has previously fitted a TRE, I fit one to my Gen 1 and as soon as I did, I experienced some delayed starting, no big issue because it always started.
+ as previous Threads good advice.

Great Colour by the way, enjoy :thumbsup:

Best regards Stretch :beerchug:

Welcome to the ORG John!!!
I upgraded from a 600 too!! The only thing I regret is that I waited so long to get a busa. Ride safe!!!!!!!

Welcome to the oRg. You have already been given good advice. If you just want to do something, flush the brake/clutch lines when you do the rest of the fluids. Also recommend a new battery. :welcome:

Get some Techron fuel cleaner from Walmart and run it double strength for two full tanks of gas. This will clean out any gunk in the system. Like everyone else said,
1. Battery
2. Radiator fluid change
3. Techron
4. oil and filter
5. check air filter so no mouse was living in there!

After this, ride it and enjoy! The bike does NOT need tons of maintenance to keep riding. Very reliable and they run great. The more you put on aftermarket crap, the more unreliable it will become..... no TRE, Power Commander etc and it will most likely run great.

Thanks for all the feedback. I was gonna post earlier but I thought, "it's Friday night, I'll just go for a ride"

Unfortunately, I just crashed the bike...(That was real f&$?@ng quick!!!!). I was just heading back home, approaching a cross walk when some pedestrians triggered this cross walk warning light thing - there is no green/yellow/red light. It just starts flashing. I think to myself "Should I go or stop? Well they might start walking so I should stop". I grab some front brake and the next thing I know, I'm on the ground. Not sure what happened. Still can't believe what just happened! I've never laid a bike over before.

Has anybody else ever had any issues with locking up the front wheel?

Sorry to hear that man. Only thing I can think of is either you hit a slick spot on the road such as oil or something or you grabbed a handful of front brake to abruptly. The initial pull of the lever should be light and smooth. This gives the front tire that extra split second it needs to grip the pavement and allows the bike to shift its weight forward on to the front tire smoothly which also helps push the tire further into the pavement. Once this intial grip is acheived then you can grab a good handful of brake without locking up the front wheel. If you just stab at the front brake then the front tire will be overwelmed and it will lock up.

5k? That thing is a baby, well with some diaper rash now.

I picked up 06LE oct 09 w/ 9k miles. Today its just under 20k.

If your rear is in bad shape, chances are your front is also. Brake fluid is recommended drian/fill every 2 years. Or there just plain could of been something on the ground. These babies are HEAVY and unforgiving when they loose traction.

Sent from my super-duper wack tmobile device using tapatalk.

Sorry to hear that man. Only thing I can think of is either you hit a slick spot on the road such as oil or something or you grabbed a handful of front brake to abruptly. The initial pull of the lever should be light and smooth. This gives the front tire that extra split second it needs to grip the pavement and allows the bike to shift its weight forward on to the front tire smoothly which also helps push the tire further into the pavement. Once this intial grip is acheived then you can grab a good handful of brake without locking up the front wheel. If you just stab at the front brake then the front tire will be overwelmed and it will lock up.

I think it was a combination of both. Also, I just had the rear tire replaced earlier that day and they added pressure to the front, so I think I just wasn't used to it yet.

I am still kind of in disbelief that this happened, and everything still hurts! I looked at the busa, and I think that the damages aren't as bad as I originally thought, so hopefully I will be riding again this week. I also think I'm gonna throw a new master cylinder and SS brake lines while I'm at it.

What all should I check on the bike before riding it again? I'll definitely be replacing the stator cover, but is there anything else I should check/replace immediately?

Hayabusa Damage 1.jpg

Hayabusa Damage 2.jpg

Congrats and welcome to the busa family.
Sorry to hear about the laydown. It happens.
If you get a chance definitely do the steel braided lines.
Take care of her and she will take care of you.
hope to see you around!
Call justin to get a price on those fairings...he will get you the best deal.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Congrats and welcome to the busa family.
Sorry to hear about the laydown. It happens.
If you get a chance definitely do the steel braided lines.
Take care of her and she will take care of you.
hope to see you around!
Call justin to get a price on those fairings...he will get you the best deal.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Thanks man! Been riding for 6 years, and never even had a minor accident - guess I was due... I'm just happy I was wearing my gear (helmet, leather jacket, gloves, boots, jeans). I hit my head pretty hard, without a helmet, it would have definitely been bad news.

I just ordered this case cover. Who's Justin? What's your ballpark guess for how much the fairings should cost? I think I'm just going to replace the left one, unless the front one is super cheap.

Thanks again for the help!

-John

Back