How Many Miles is too many

bigbanka

Registered
Hows it going everyone, im new to this site so I will take all of the input that I can get. I just recently purchase a 1999 busa with 30k miles on the clock.Im not sure if it was used for touring or what but the bike seems to be in great shape. This will be my fist bike and I have never been on a motorcycle before. I just fell in love with the busa and had to find out for myself what all the talk is about. My bike has more than seven grand of upgrades on it, from a usb power commander to a NOS switch. The bike is laid out, but im just wondering if it has to many miles ? Furthermore why is it so hard to find gear with the copper and silver color scheme? Please dont sugarcoat give me the real scoop!!!

P.S
I will be taking the BRC course
today@ 8 wish me luck!!!!

Firstly:welcome: to the Org. I think you'll find that as long as the bike has had a good service record 30,000 should be no problem. I traded my RF900 in with 35,000 and ran like new due to good and regular servicing, others here will chime in soon with more info and help when you need it. Oh and post some pics up quick before they come looking for you.:rulez::lol:

30K no big deal. My 05 has almost 60K. The 99 and00 had a starter issue, and the dealers have a retrofit to cure the problem. The biggest issue I see with your purchase is getting a busa for your first bike can be a big mistake, although some have done it, it is something that is not recommended. I hope you take it slow while you learn how to ride. Taking the rider course is a good way to start. :welcome: to the org.

Mine had 47K on the clock when it disappeared, didn't use oil, was on it's second set of brake pads and still ran like a top.

Take it slow and easy, I started out on my Busa so it can be done. Lots of parking lot practice.

Welcome and congrats !

Big bike for no experience .
Please don't get happy on the throttle !
YOU WILL GET THERE ALOT FASTER THAN YOU CAN STOP !!!!

Miles don't scare me as Busas are bulletproof .
The NOS switch though is a sign bike may have been raced for a time though ?

Just take it easy again as it will break all posted speed limits in first , forget about the other five gears !

Ps.......:rulez: here state we need pics !

:welcome: my 99 has covered 40k and still runs good as new , in fact probably better .
lot of guys here done a lot more than that , be careful till you get to know her :beerchug:

30k is just getting broken in if it has been treated well and maintained correctly...i've got over 44k on my '05 and am just getting her set up the way i want...please take it easy as you learn to ride as she can get you in over your head quickly! on a happier note, :welcome: to the board :beerchug:

30k is just getting broken in if it has been treated well and maintained correctly...

Like any vehicle in this world, it should run well as long as it has been properly maintained. I was told these motors go to 100,000 no problem.

Mine has a tad less than 63,000 miles on it. Just keep up with the regular maintenance and keep you eye on it for anything minor and you'll be good to go. It will tell you when it needs something if you pay attention to it.

--Wag--

30k miles is nothing to a busa if its been taken care off and as far as gear to match a chopper head( chopper & silver paint) good luck it'll be mostly a custom order because not meany if any other bikes have they paint sechem and none of the other busa's have it.

if there well taken care of you should get 80k or so on a busa before any major issues come up

Good to hear that you made a purchase. 30k is no big deal. Just do your regular maintence and a look the bike over here and there, the bike will last forever.

Hey everyone thanks for the feedback pertaining to my bike. Here are a few pis of the ol Girl. Big Sherley is what she goes by lol. Tell me what you all think :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the feedback folks!! Day one of class was great, looking forward to tomarrow. Here are a few pictures of the Ol girl. Big shirley is what she goes by, she needs a bit of work but shes mine!!:thumbsup:

Big Sherley.jpg

adjustable.jpg

HMF high mount.jpg

Touch  Screen.jpg

Awesome lookin' scoot, yo!

I've got 65k on my '08 'busa.

One article I read about the 'busa referred to the engine as 'utterly understressed'.

I couldn't agree more.

Ride safe, yo! :beerchug:

:welcome: to the .org I wouldn't be worried about the bikes miles so much as the riders miles. That is a clean bike for 10+years keep her wheels down man get to know her and she will take care of you. :thumbsup:

Back