new speedo fix

OB_EXCLR8

Registered
Hello fellow Busa owners,

I have become tored of waiting on some one to make a speedo corrector. I have consulted a friend that is an electrical engineer about this project. He tells me that it is no problem for him to build a nice unit to to the job. The only problem is the cost of one unit. The major cost is in manufactur of the circut board. What I need to get this done is 20 or more people to buy one so we can all have them at a reasonable cost. At 20 the cost is about $80 U.S. At 50 the cost is about $68 U.S. If I do this it will take about 1 month to complete form the date he begins the project. This unit will most likely work on all the electronic speedos that Suzuki makes. If you are interested, please send me an email off the list and I will ad you to a list. I will post the number of partisipants on my web site every few days or so.

Thanks for your help.
Jacque Day
jacque.day@murraystate.edu

Jacque - Can you provide additional info on your setup? Details like size, connection, ease of installation, adjustment range etc would be helpful. I doubt too many of us (Busa owners) wouldn't like to have accurate speedometers but would like to know a little more about what we might be signing on to.
Any idea on when you might have a working prototype on which to judge results?

Thanks.

Todd,

We have just started the project. The engineer is an expert in electronic control and has most of the sub-routines needed, written from past projects though. We are planning to have a +/- 20% to 25% range of adjustment. If that is too much or too little it is not hard to reprogram the Microprocessor for what ever is best. In fact we may allow the user to order one for what ever range they want. This is because it will be very easy to change the value that sets the range in the code. I should have a prototype in about 10 working days. I don't want to expose to much until that time.
I feel the best way to set the speedo is to take your bike after modifications are made, to a dyno shop. Put it on the dyno and run it up to the speed you run at most of the time, as indicated on the dyno, (on average 100MPH for me) hold it there and dial in the speedo to match. I know not everyone will have dyno access, so in the instructions I will outline 4 or 5 methods. I believe the dyno method is the most accurate. I will personally use all the methods and rate them as to the best. I will also post all data on my web site for all to see when it is complete.
As for size it will be very small, about the size of a 9 volt battery, maybe an inch longer though. It should weigh no more than one to two ounces.
Installation will be in one of two ways. I will elaborate on that more once I have a prototype in my hands. And have installed it my self.
I am not here to B.S. anyone and don't want to eat my words later. HAHA For that reason I will keep it simple. As soon as details are in concrete I will email all who have expressed interest to me by emailing. If you send me email now you are not obligated to anything yet. I will most likely send a prototype to a third party we all trust for verification on another Busa so all can feel secure before sending in any money. Once the design is complete, I will ask for orders and money to help pay for the final product. The units will be built by professional assemblers at that point and will not take long. The more orders I have the cheaper it will be for all! If I get 20 orders it is estimated that the cost will be $90 U.S. Are about half way there in only 20 hours. I should say this is an estimate and may change. I will know the exact cost before anyone is asked for money.
I hope this answers all your questions. If you want send me an email with speedo corrector in the subject and I will add you to the list for updated info as it develops.

jacque.day@murraystate.edu
Jacque Day
EXCLR8

Good luck EXCLR8! Our firm has spent many months, over 1000 man-hours, (should I say engineer-hours?) in the development of the hardware and software, not to mention parts sourcing and the like, and many thousands of dollars just to get to where we are now.

The reason we are still waiting now is that the boards can take 6 to 8 weeks for manufacture. (I am sure you will find this out!)

I must confess, when I started this project I thought it would only take a month too! That was February '99 I believe...

99TLR

Well I used to work for that friend of mine who will writting the code for the PIC that will control. I designed the user interfaces and cases for one of their products. The proto boards take only 7 working days. The production boards take only 14 working days. All the parts we need, we have on hand at his company, he owns. I don't know about in AU but in the States, we can get any thing we need fast. I have been through the design process before. http://www.arcamaxinc.com/ Go tho this site and click on the large Interface logo at the bottom that is the one that I worked on. It is a gyro for RC Helis which I fly. This one engineer built all, that is at that one site and then more at his other company. At this point I am not here to compete with you, I just want a speedo corrector. If the market is as large as I think it is, there will be plenty of business left after my 20-50 units.

Thanks for your concern,
EXCLR8

[This message has been edited by EXCLR8 (edited 15 September 1999).]

[This message has been edited by EXCLR8 (edited 15 September 1999).]

Thanks Jacque - We will look for additional updates/status here on the boards as well. I hope this works out!

Back