Changing oil weight

Cerberus

Donating Member
Registered
I have run Lucas 20/50 synth oil in my '07 since the first oil change. I have found a dealer that sells amsoil at a good price and was going to switch to amsoil 10/40 synthetic. Someone told me that you couldn't switch from heaver weight oil to a lighter weight without causing damage to the engine. I have never heard of this but figured I would ask the experts here. Last thing I want to do is damage my mistress.

rock.gif

First I heard of that. Now I have read that changing from regular to synthetic at high mileage can cause problems with leaks but your fine there. I would venture to say that ligher weight oil in general runs the risk of running too thin in hotter climates which can cause the engine to run hotter. Heavier oils in cooler climates run the risk of not getting in all the hard to reach places. I would think with a 40 you should be fine here in the South. Hope someone chimes in with more knowledge than me as it's a good question.

Any other reason for the switch besides money? BTW I answered your suspension question... PM me if you need more info.

Complete BS. Weight differences are for ambient temp differences. If its always really HOT outside use a heavier weight oil. In the COLD, use a lighter weight oil.

Found this in an article but don't know how factual it is:
Very few manufacturers recommend 10W-40 any more, and some threaten to void warranties if it is used. It was not included in this article for that reason. 20W-50 is the same 30 point spread, but because it starts with a heavier base it requires less viscosity index improvers (polymers) to do the job. AMSOIL can formulate their 10W-30 and 15W-40 with no viscosity index improvers but uses some in the 10W-40 and 5W-30. Other multigrade synthetics may not use VI improvers either. The full literature available from the oil company should include this information. Follow your manufacturer's recommendations as to which weights are appropriate for your vehicle.

Here is the whole article:
http://www.howstuffworks.com/framed.....rl=http

DO yourself a favor and never ever listen to who said that.

You can change and mix different viscosity oil with no harm to the engine.
Just use appropriate viscosity for your climate.

all I've ever heard was to match the manufacturers recommendations for matching viscosity weights to climate temps. and not to mix different weights / types / brands in the same batch thats in your sump.

Thanks for the info...I figured he was full of
bs.gif
. The only reason I have been thinking of switching is 1) found amsoil at a good price, and 2)read nothing but good things about amsoil. I have been pleased with Lucas oil but just figured I would try amsoil since others here seem to really like it. I haven't meet anyone else that runs Lucas oil
rock.gif

Mobile 1 - Walmart here.
Ran it in all my bikes with no issues.

I think any oil is fine as long as you change it regularly. Just my .02

GL

I will let you know I am going to change the Oil over this weekend along with a couple of other things and I will give ya some feed back Bro.

I am starting to run Royal Purple in mine and I have 13000 on the bike.
Most people I know that use it, like Royal Purple.  I have used it in my camaro's but never in a bike.  I would be intrested in hearing how you like it after you have run it a while.
Snap-on (my company, well... not mine but you know what I mean) sponsors a NHRA hayabusa rider, Steve Johnson. He swears by Royal Purple stating it has additional additives that help the tranny. I don't drag race so I stay with the simple stuff.

The Royal Purple I got was only 7.00 a quart that is not that bad. I got mine from Josh @ Ryders connection. Same here Snap heard allot of good things about RP Oil so I wanted to try it and see how it does if I like it then I keep putting it in the bike or try another Brand like Mobil 1 or amsoil. Like I said as soon I get it put in the Bike and do a couple of runns on it I will give ya some feed back.

Back