How to guide for oil change

mercury06

Registered
Does anyone have a step by step guide for changing the oil? I was hoping someone has taken pictures of the process with a description. I will figure it out just did not want to reinvent the wheel. I am not sure where the tape goes but will figure that out too!

Don't know that anyone's got a step-by-step laid out around here...try using the search function for more info, but I'll do what I can to help...

You'll need to take your brake side fairing off; it's a pain that first time, but after a while it's easy...

Undo the drain plug, let oil drain out...I usually go fix myself lunch or something LOL

Now, the oil filter...you can go out and buy the fancy tools, or you can find the oldest biggest scariest wrench you have and use that (see my pic below LOL), undo the filter. If you're worried about oil getting on the pipes, toss some aluminum foil over 'em or just let the oil burn off like I do 'cause I'm lazy...
biggrin.gif

Put drain plug back on (be careful to not overtighten and strip it...causes BIG problems)...get the new filter installed and tightened, add almost 4 quarts...check oil levels 'til you're satisfied...

Voila!
beerchug.gif

small_wrench.JPG

My first oil change went pretty good although I did resort to my hammer a screw driver through the filter to get it out. I bought a $40 multi-purpose strap wrench set that was no good at all.

My wife came home from Karate with a $5 AmPro 2-1/4" to 2-3/4" wrench that worked perfectly for tightening the filter after the old one was already out.

I am a pretty strong guy and could not tighten the filter enough by hand to prevent leaks. When I started the bike after the oil change it had a small drip since it was not tight enough. My Harley's are good with a 1/2 twist after getting it snug but the Hayabusa needs a wrench.

The tape was from a recommendation on another post due to the fairings "jumping" after removing the Torx bolts and scratching the paint. I did not see this problem.

I had removed all the side and bottom torx bolts but the ones on the top of the plastic side panel also held the fairing into place.

I took a lot of pictures and will post that for the next newbie who takes this on after I reduce the 13 megapixel size. Next time it will take about an hour with drain time. This time took about 4 hours with runs to the auto parts store in between.

Good learning experience for a first time oil change.

(mercury06 @ Oct. 23 2006,19:55) oh yeah, how the hell did you fit that giant rusty wrench in to get the filter out???
you will have to excuse her, she is blond...
wow.gif

(runs away like a coward! )
bluegrab.gif

(Sloto200 @ Oct. 24 2006,01:39)
(mercury06 @ Oct. 23 2006,19:55) oh yeah, how the hell did you fit that giant rusty wrench in to get the filter out???
you will have to excuse her, she is blond...  
wow.gif

(runs away like a coward! )  
bluegrab.gif
Laugh if you must, but I'm not the one that bought the $40 fancy tools that didn't work
tounge.gif

I fit it in there, honest...
biggrin.gif
I can't divulge all of my secrets guys...

(mrninja9 @ Oct. 24 2006,08:35) OH BOY    

SHE PROBABLY  USES IT AS A HAMMER TOO

IT COULD BE HER MULTI TOOL
Laugh it up!
laugh.gif

Nope, no hammers...

(VaBusa @ Oct. 24 2006,08:30) I fit it in there, honest...
biggrin.gif

wow.gif
.....<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>Is it just me or does that just not sound right ?</span>    
tounge.gif

(Warputer @ Oct. 24 2006,09:05)
(VaBusa @ Oct. 24 2006,08:30) I fit it in there, honest...
biggrin.gif

wow.gif
.....<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>Is it just me or does  that just not sound right ?</span>    
tounge.gif
Don't make me adjust that member rating...
poke.gif
tounge.gif

tounge.gif

(mercury06 @ Oct. 23 2006,12:49) Does anyone have a step by step guide for changing the oil?  I was hoping someone has taken pictures of the process with a description.  I will figure it out just did not want to reinvent the wheel.  I am not sure where the tape goes but will figure that out too!
Geez i bet you won't ask that again??? But is a good question cause i haven't seen too much on this that was worth reading!  
poke.gif
For one the R- fairing doesn't have to be removed all the way, If you have frame sliders that will help a bunch! (depends on type) The filter can be slid out between the fairing and header by just removing the lower fairing screws, The filter (if installed correctly) can be loosened by a hefty hose clamp thru louver and removed by hand. Drain plug kinda dummy proof but use a toque wrench or if you have a good grip, use a 3/8 drive ratchet and with one hand at base (or like the handle was only 2" long) snug pretty good, like taking the cap off a pickle jar. This can be stripped and easily i hear so be Gentle its your first time.  
super.gif
Oil & filter selection
rock.gif
Well I'm not goin there
argue.gif
And yes those are LED's in my reflectors!!!

AOL.com Images Not Available

sounds like not many of you took your bikes to a shop for the initial "break-in" service, eh? is it not that serious not to do so??

(slep_rock @ Oct. 24 2006,13:16) sounds like not many of you took your bikes to a shop for the initial "break-in" service, eh?  is it not that serious not to do so??
Complete judgment call on your part because everyone here has differing opinions on the subject. I talked to my dealer about that initial service and voiding my warranty should I do the work and he assured me I was okay to do it myself as long as I saved receipts, wrote down what I'd done, how many miles I had when I did it, etc...

I was fortunate to never have issues requiring warranty work, so I never had to challenge a dealer on doing my service on my own...others fear, and I think it's justified given that there are unscrupulous dealers out there, that it will void your warranty...

For ME, I wouldn't let just any dealer touch my bike and my point of purchase dealer was 3 hours away, so I've done all the service myself...

(slep_rock @ Oct. 24 2006,10:16) sounds like not many of you took your bikes to a shop for the initial "break-in" service, eh?  is it not that serious not to do so??
The dealer has never done the service on either of my Busa'a and I have never had any warranty trouble becuase of it.

Back