A while back I posted that I hit a dog at night while riding. *I knew that some other things would probably happen down the line, and sure enought, I busted one of my front fork seals. *Asking aroung to the local shops about the cost of getting the shocks rebuilt, well the prices ranged from $250 to $300. *I had allways wanted to try it myself, so I did some reading online, bought the parts, and tried it myself. *First off, I did not get any pictures to share with the group, because I thought that it would be very difficult. *Boy was I wrong. *I hope that the words that I do share will help those that are do-it-yourselfers, like myself.

Hoist the bike up off the front tire making sure no pressure is on the forks. *Remove the front tire, in accordance with you owners manual. *Remove the front fender bolts from the side that you are working on. *Do only one side at a time, or so they say. *Loosen the 2 12 mm bolts holding at the bottom of the triple tree. *Loosen the to 8 mm allen at the top of the triple tree, and make sure that you have a friend standing by, cause that fork is coming out, fast. *Turn the shock upside down, with the fender holding assemble pointing up. *Using a 10mm allen socket, and an impact wrench, break the inside bolt free. *An impact wrench is needed, because if you try to loosen this bolt by any other means you will not be able to break it free, it just spins. *When the bolt is removed, keep it upright, and find something to dump the oil into. *Holding both the top and the bottom part of the fork, filp it right side up, and the oil, if any is left will pour out the bottom. *By this time the insert part of the fork will slide right out. *Pull the old dust cover off, remove the retaining clip, pull out the old seal. *Now the old seal is easily removed using a screwdrive and prying it out. *It will pop out and fly across the room. *There is a washer below it. *One side is rounded one side is flat. *The flat side goes down. * Reverse this procedure, making sure to push the seal down squarely, using a big socket, or anything else that you might have availible. *When everything is back together, remove the top part of the shock. *This is the section where your dampening adjustments are. *I wrapped a cloth around my shock and put it in a vise, and used a really big adjustable wrench to break it free. *Once you have the shock cap off, pour in 16.2 ounces of fork oil, screw the cap back on, and put it back on the bike. *I say the whole thing could be down in about 2 hours. *I put my shocks thru a pretty good workout last night, bumpy roads, and few wheelies, hard breaking. *Neither one is leaking. *I will get pictures the next time. * Hope this helps others.
    Live to ride, ride to live.

If you loosen the cap on top of the forks before you remove them from the bike, you don't need a vise and risk screwing up your forks.
    '03 Orange Busa