Mixed up pistons. FML.

zer0gh0st

Registered
So, pistons were removed during an engine rebuild. They got cleaned but during the cleaning the numbering was worn off. Anyone know what I can measure and or do to ensure they go back into their correct homes? The rings are all separate and still properly organized its just the pistons that are now miss matched. Gonna dremel the damn number in next time lol.

If you dont have a way to measure the holes a local machine shop will measure everything for you for about $40 , and usually do it while you wait since no machine work is being done .

I'm not afraid to measure just need to know how and which tools. I am assuming I'd measure each piston with an outside micrometer and then put the rings into their respective cylinders and measure with a feeler gauge then compare them all and decide which piston goes with which cylinder? I've looked around and can't really find anything about how to go about this. I am not opposed to going to a machine shop but would rather learn something from the experience.

I'm not afraid to measure just need to know how and which tools. I am assuming I'd measure each piston with an outside micrometer and then put the rings into their respective cylinders and measure with a feeler gauge then compare them all and decide which piston goes with which cylinder? I've looked around and can't really find anything about how to go about this. I am not opposed to going to a machine shop but would rather learn something from the experience.

The correct bore tools will run you what having a pro with experience of how/where to measure will . FYI though you could just throw them in any hole/order and it will work . these are factory run pistons that cleared tolerance check at the factory .

http://www.amazon.com/b?node=15708741

That makes me feel a little better. I ordered a few things, probably more tools than I should have lol. Im gonna check all the clearances and make sure everything fits then compression test. If this was my bike it wouldn't be so bad but its my friends who I convinced to buy a busa then his starter ate the engine boss a week later.

Back