Not another clutch thread!!?

JW983

Registered
First things first, Ive searched several hours for the answer without any luck.

SO I just replaced the OEM clutch kit on my 2005 Hayabusa. Read all the info about clutch order and pretty sure I got it right. Put it all back together and when the clutch is pulled in, i have hear a grinding on the housing. So I drained the oil opened it back up to match sure all bolts were tight. Then i saw a thread about the last disc needs to be on the offset slots. So i moved it over and put it back together and still same noise when i engage the clutch. I did notice the clutch kit springs were 1/8" or so longer, but figured that was from the wear and tare on the original ones.

Any help would be appreciated as draining the oil and removing the bolts is an annoying repetition

Are you actually making contact with the inner side of the clutch cover?

Thats what it sounds like, but it doesnt appear that way when i look at the cover for marks. Its a very hollow sounding rattle. When the cover is off and I engage the clutch it doesnt look like the last plates clear eachother. I guess 3rd times the charm and I start from scratch.

Hmmm...

Without pictures or a video, it's tough to tell. If you can post up either, it may help us get to the bottom of it.

Your best bet is to grab a service manual (I can scan the pages you need and upload them if need be), and start disassembling again. 9 out of 10 times you can identify what you did wrong and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Hmmm...

Without pictures or a video, it's tough to tell. If you can post up either, it may help us get to the bottom of it.

Your best bet is to grab a service manual (I can scan the pages you need and upload them if need be), and start disassembling again. 9 out of 10 times you can identify what you did wrong and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Okay no problem. I will post a video or pics when I get home. I plan on draining the oil, but hope I can diagnose while it's apart cause I can't tell until the bike is running. Although I was told it's done right when the clutch is engaged and you spin it with your hand. So hopefully that helps.

I don't have the service manual, and best I could get was the parts diagram but determining which plates are which is pretty tough. but I guess I'll fish all this plates back out and take it from the top. Also I might have a bit toouch torque on the springs because I heard it was only supposed to be 7lbs.

If you have the bike on the side stand you don't need to drain the oil if you're just pulling the clutch cover off. :-)

I'll see if I can put the clutch assembly pages from the service manual into a PDF for ya later this evening...

(My $0.02)... Get a Suzuki Service Manual. It will be the best thing you ever buy if you plan to keep doing maintenance and mods yourself. I told the dealership to throw it in when I bought my 2007 years ago or I threatened to go buy the bike elsewhere. They aren't all that expensive, but are worth their weight in gold.

Attached pics of clutch installation from Service Manual... Hope it helps.

Attachments

• Hayabus Gen 1 Clutch Assembly.pdf
    808.9 KB · Views: 142
Attached pics of clutch installation from Service Manual... Hope it helps.

Youre awesome man!! Much better than the diagram that I have.

I did notice on the inside of the cover. The clutch cover plate was grinding against the inside housing. There is 3 bolts from the clutch cushion that extend to the inside of the housing. I can see wear marks from where the clutch is rubbing. Possibly My stack is off and making it too thick... I dunno but I have everything off and all plates out so I will follow these steps and hopefully it comes out correct this time.

Youre awesome man!! Much better than the diagram that I have.

I did notice on the inside of the cover. The clutch cover plate was grinding against the inside housing. There is 3 bolts from the clutch cushion that extend to the inside of the housing. I can see wear marks from where the clutch is rubbing. Possibly My stack is off and making it too thick... I dunno but I have everything off and all plates out so I will follow these steps and hopefully it comes out correct this time.

I really appreciate you taking the time to do that! It turns out that the other diagram had me way off. Also the last plate that needed to be offset was also the thickest. Its back together and no grinding!!!:thumbsup::beerchug:

Back