Tires and Brakes

dadofthree

Seasoned Beef
Donating Member
Registered
That's right, getting ready for the Bash and taking care of some much needed maintenance. The rear brake pads are what came from Japan, 60K + miles. The front pads probably have about 20K miles on them and they are shot too. I've had the brake pads sitting in the garage and finally ordered the tires tonight Michelin Pilot Road 3 front and rear $310.00. Need to change the coolant too.

Where did you order your tires? Also, just curious, why the pilot 3's instead of the pilot 4?

Where did you order your tires? Also, just curious, why the pilot 3's instead of the pilot 4?

My last two sets have been 3's. I'm curious about the 3's because I was told you could no longer get them. We will see.

Competition Accessories

When you get the pads on front and rear installed send a note on difficulty of install. Also what pads did you get, and then tell us how they work compared to stock and if you can really tell a noticeable difference.

When you get the pads on front and rear installed send a note on difficulty of install. Also what pads did you get, and then tell us how they work compared to stock and if you can really tell a noticeable difference.
I've never replaced the rears, but the fronts were super easy. I'm running the EBC Extreme Pro up front. I love them. On the rear I went with the cheapest thing EBC had. I don't use the rear brake and I'm pretty sure these cheap pads will lock up the rear tire just fine. But I will follow up when I do the work for ya.

Look what UPS delivered today

SAM_2445.jpg

The rear pads are EBC Organic. The rear pads were easier than getting the rear caliper back in the swingarm and I got to do it twice. The new brake pads may have played a part in that.

IMG_20150401_185938_879[1].jpg

IMG_20150401_185949_767[2].jpg

Looked like less than 1/32 of an inch of pad material left. The new pads have about four times that.

From memory, one allen type guide pin. A little bit of butt required to break it loose from the factory, however the bike is close to eight years old and has over 60K miles on it. Once I removed that, I pressed the piston back in the caliper. The pads basically fell out, you just bring the pad to the center of the opening and pull it down and away from the caliper where the guide pin passes through. The spring on the Gen II rear caliper stays put, so no issues with remembering how the springs go back in like on the Gen I. You basically put the new pads in by reversing the process. the one part of the spring must be pried open just a tad to allow installation. Very easy. I didn't bother looking at the service manual, but can't imagine any big differences. If a mechanic tells you a better way to do it please follow their advise.

I've been down in the back and spent an hour doing the tire and pads. Did not want to suffer or set myself back. Did a lot of cleaning while I had it apart.

So tomorrow I'll tackle the front tire and brake pads.

If you chamfer the leading the leading edge of the rear brake pads it makes it easy to slide the rotor in between them when installing the tire and rim back on the bike.

cheers
ken

Back