Chain Alignment, Lase perfect

Rhythm

http://www.youtube.com/us
Donating Member
Registered
Ok Rydaz,

Is it just me or does the motion pro tool chain alignment rod seems to be a little difficult vieiwing its alignment when adjusting your chain? The steel rod sits a little high off to the side of right side chain link and not directly over a horizontal reference line.

Here is a chain alignment tool Motorbike Alignment - Moto-Tech Diagnostics I would like to invest in but a Ryda like myself aint gonna drop that kind of cheese when I can mod up a device just as good using a motion pro chain tool and a Home Depot/Harbor frieght laser level.

So heres what I came up with. Chain alignment 101 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ140YMgPBE

file.php?id=2950&t=1.jpg
file.php?id=2923&t=1.jpg
file.php?id=2922&t=1.jpg

Enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:
See. This is why I know I feel like such a dope sometimes. This is perfect, simple and I have all the needed items and never thought about doing it this way.

Thank you. I will probably go check mine now that I realize I have my laser level sitting there doing nothing.

I've always been under the impression that the rear tire has to be aligned with the front tire in order to function properly :dunno:

Easily done with 15 cents worth of string.

Rear sprocket has to be in alignment with your front sprocket. Front tire string is another method used as a straight edge reference point for alignment of your tires, which the is attached to your sprocket. The accuracy using this method is only as good as the runout or trueness on your front and rear rims. The sprockets gear teeth only wear down in height and some tooth side wall but stay straight vertically as opposed to rims. But methods have their flaws. For my preference as every day rider riding on non track roads I believe my sprockets will offer a more accurate alignment reference points.

To add, replacing your sprockets and chain as recommended will always be a better choice of method for for a chain aligmment, performance and handling.

My theory has always been, if it aint broke, don't fix it. If the bike handles as it should, no under-steer, no over-steer, does not pull to one side, no head shake, then the marks on the swing arm are good enough for me.

If the above becomes a concern, one has to check both wheel alignment and chain/sprocket alignment and if these do not agree fix whatever the problem may be, because something dangerous is busy developing.

Does a motorcycle's front and rear sprockets have an equal lateral distance from the bike's centerline? If not, wouldn't it make more sense to align the tire's centerline with the bike's centerline? I guess I would need a technical drawing of the motorcycle's top view to figure this out.

I am not a mechanical engineer. But heres my .02 cent on it. To keep it simple lateral distance would be a proper slacked chain on a Busa, extended or stock swingarm. A proper distance will not align a fixed point (front sprocket) to the rear sprocket (floating). Thats why bikes have adjuster blocks on the rear axle.

The center line on the front tire is not actually being used when measuring . However, the tire must be as straight as possible. The side wall of the front tire/rim is where the measurement is being taken. The distance from the string to the sides of the front tire should be equal when measured. A front rim that has a runout or bent will not provide a correct alignment.

Back