quick ? DO dented pipes/HEADERS MESS WITH PERFORMANCE AND is this dent something i ne

HOOKDADDY

Registered
AND is this dent something i need to worry about and what tools would be needed to install on gen 1 and how tight the bolts need to be

1417877229270.jpg

1417877350384.jpg

Last edited:
Re: quick ? DO dented pipes/HEADERS MESS WITH PERFORMANCE AND is this dent something

Thanks in advances

Re: quick ? DO dented pipes/HEADERS MESS WITH PERFORMANCE AND is this dent something

Well it depends on what you mean by "mess with performance". Any alteration will make the pipe perform different from the design. Believe it or not the better pipe guys spend a lot of time tuning the pipe to provide a smooth power increase. However we all ride with things that aren't exactly perfect and this may only cost you a few tolerable spikes in the power curve and some peak hp. On the other hand dents in the header pipes are worse because that's were the hot gasses are moving the fastest and are most easily disrupted. Slow these down and the pulse frequency might be disturbed, which would be a performance issue. I would also recommend a dyno tune as this pipe is probably not moving the exhaust gas it's supposed to and this will alter the proper air fuel settings. I would definitely try to pull those dents out, as they are also deep enough to be potential structural issues with the header.

Not sure how to pop those dents out. You could put a screw in the header then yank it out like a dent in a car I suppose (then patch the screw hole of course). On the other hand you can just try it and see what happens, as I doubt you will damage the engine. Tools are a socket set and a wrench set. I also use a rubber mallet when I did mine (gen II though).

You asked, that's my opinion!

thanks will try to remove dent

Those dents aren't going to pop out.
They will need to be heated with a torch, and a skilled metal fabricator to fix them correctly.
Take them to a welding or muffler shop. If you get turned away, try somewhere else.

AND is this dent something i need to worry about and what tools would be needed to install on gen 1 and how tight the bolts need to be

Pretty sure I remember Brock saying less than a 1/2" is no big deal(especially on stock motored street bike).Mine are flattened almost 1/2"(damned speed bump got me)and bugs the crap outa me just because I know it.Almost makes me want to pull the trigger on his Short Meg 2(definitely will if/when I do a ported head & cams).

Back