How much front brake drag?

HRJR

Donating Member
Registered
My 06 has always had some front brake drag. To be honest, I never gave it too much thought until recently. After replacing the rotors and pads, I spun the wheel and noticed that it only spins about 3/4 of a revolution. It seemed tighter than normal. Though, I never measured it prior to replacing the rotors/pads. I've looked at the manual and have started reviewing the troubleshooting section regarding brake drag.

Before I dig too far into troubleshooting, I need to know what is "normal" front brake drag? One turn, two turns, etc.

I need a "goal" to help determine when the brake drag is within acceptable limits.

TIA

This is a common question with Motorcycle Owners. Brake drag is a normal function but how much is to much? From your description, yours seems about normal. The best way to calm your worries is to take the bike for a five mile ride after the brakes are stone cold. Avoid the front brake altogether. Stop and check the rotors for heat. If you can hold your hand on the rotors without pulling away and saying "Ouch", they are working okay.

Your rotors should always be warm to touch.

Maybe someone will chime in and explain how the calipers work to retract the pads once the brake pressure is released.

I would follow Tuf's advice. The design is to keep the rotors clear and clean by having the pads sweep the rotors continuously. You have an 06. How many miles on those front wheel bearings ? Your spin and my spin will be different, your own spins will be different each time. Not a great test. Experts will chime in.

"A small amount is not abnormal, but it should be very slight.

The only thing pulling the pads back away from the disc when you let off the pedal is a gasket called a "square cut "O" ring". The ring is in a groove around the piston. It distends slightly when the brakes are compressed and when the hydraulic pressure is removed it returns to its resting shape, a shape much like a large faucet washer. That return to shape pulls the brake's piston slightly back from the disc, relieveing the drag. However, the travel is slight. It can leave a slight drag. One good test is to compare the drag on one side with the drag on the other. If there's a significant difference, than a problem exists. It's rare forboth side to stick at once."

This is a common question with Motorcycle Owners. Brake drag is a normal function but how much is to much? From your description, yours seems about normal. The best way to calm your worries is to take the bike for a five mile ride after the brakes are stone cold. Avoid the front brake altogether. Stop and check the rotors for heat. If you can hold your hand on the rotors without pulling away and saying "Ouch", they are working okay.

Your rotors should always be warm to touch.

Maybe someone will chime in and explain how the calipers work to retract the pads once the brake pressure is released.

I'll take her out to try that test as soon as the weather clears (rain now). Thx.

I would follow Tuf's advice. The design is to keep the rotors clear and clean by having the pads sweep the rotors continuously. You have an 06. How many miles on those front wheel bearings ? Your spin and my spin will be different, your own spins will be different each time. Not a great test. Experts will chime in.

"A small amount is not abnormal, but it should be very slight.

The only thing pulling the pads back away from the disc when you let off the pedal is a gasket called a "square cut "O" ring". The ring is in a groove around the piston. It distends slightly when the brakes are compressed and when the hydraulic pressure is removed it returns to its resting shape, a shape much like a large faucet washer. That return to shape pulls the brake's piston slightly back from the disc, relieveing the drag. However, the travel is slight. It can leave a slight drag. One good test is to compare the drag on one side with the drag on the other. If there's a significant difference, than a problem exists. It's rare forboth side to stick at once."

Got ~18K on the bike/bearings. Valid point on the "age" of the bearings.

Back