600 mile oil change did it myself and saved 220 bucks

ScottyE

Registered
Just changed it after watching the u-tube video on how to remove the fairing it was a piece of cake the oil was kind of dark but still golden and I found no metal debris in the bottom of the pan or on the plug very happy! :laugh: installed a K&N filter and some conventional Valvoline motorcycle 10W-40W and a new drain plug gasket. Torqued to 16.5 lbs . here is a pic of the drain plug magnet just a little black soot looking powder on it nothing more. The dealership wanted 250 bucks for first service I've already adjusted the chain and re-torqued the rear axle nut.

A big thank you to BlancaBusa for making the youtube video. Good Job Sir :)

20140831_132119.jpg

right side fairing removed.jpg

Very nice, I hate dealers for both cars and bikes, charge crazy prices for simple maintenence. Anybody can do it, its just a matter of buying a few tools that don't cost very much money. Takes a bit of skill but really, its just labor.

That^. To any mechanic, its just another job. Not that they don't care, but I certainly feel better knowing that I did my very best on whatever it is I'm doing to it. The only thing I take to a dealer is motorcycle tires.

I am a industrial maintenance mechanic and welder so I really wasn't worried about anything but the fairing removal, now that I see how easy that is a full exhaust from brocks may be one of my upcoming projects. :laugh:

That^. To any mechanic, its just another job. Not that they don't care, but I certainly feel better knowing that I did my very best on whatever it is I'm doing to it. The only thing I take to a dealer is motorcycle tires.

Tires? Really?

One of the biggest complaints that guys have with OTHER people changing their tires is that the rims get scratched/nicked very easily
and many times the person (dealer?) will say they were already there or that it's just the nature of changing tires and they can't/won't do anything about it.

That and most of the time they charge way too much for the service they are providing.

If you don't take the wheels off then there is also the probability that they can scratch other parts of your bike removing and reinstalling the wheels.

To any mechanic, its just another job.

I payed for mine at dealer cuz they said can **** up my warranty.
That's a bunch of BS That's why the owners manual shows you how to do all that! By the way Nice Bike ! :) I took some of the money I saved and bought me a nice Pitbull rear stand and some rear spools.

Wrenching on your own bike can be very rewarding...Download the full shop manual which will help you lots...the only bad part of the fairing is where you have to lift UP to get it to pop out...

That's a bunch of BS That's why the owners manual shows you how to do all that! By the way Nice Bike ! :) I took some of the money I saved and bought me a nice Pitbull rear stand and some rear spools.

I just didnt wanted to have the headaches if something happens to the bike.
I always do my maintance on every vehicle that i have.
Trucks,cars,semi truck,bikes.
Hell, i just did the service on my volvo semi truck and costed me 180 $ in parts.
9 gallons oil.
3 big ass oil filters, probably about 1 feet long each
2 big ass fuel filters
1 pack of grease.

Back