Coolant

Badiroc

Registered
What kind of coolant is everyone out there using to replace stock coolant at the 2 year flush and fill interval? I was thinking about using DEX-COOL but everything i use it in tends to run just a little hotter than regular coolant. But on the plus side it stays good for 5 years instead of the normal 2. What do you guys think??

I'd use regular and if your gonna blend make sure you use distilled or dionized water.

I use Engine Ice and noticed a significant change in operating temperature. With the factory coolant the temperature would get real high when standing in traffic for long periods of time. (Like sitting on Main Street in Daytona during bike week.) The Busa would have overheated if I didn’t turn off the motor. With the Engine Ice and aftermarket aluminum fan, the bike cools down perfectly. The fan kicks on when the temp gauge reads halfway and I watch the temp go down as it cools. I am pleased with the results.

I recommend any good quality silicate-free coolant. Prestone uses silicates in their product. This ingredient is intended to "scrub" the inner surfaces of the cooling system to prevent the build up of deposits. Unfortunately, it's also real tough on the mechanical seals of motorcycle water pumps. This has been heavily discussed on several Honda and Yamaha boards I frequent, and the consensus solution is to use a silicate-free coolant. I used standard Prestone in my old V-65 Sabre, and had to replace the water pump twice during 70,000 miles of ownership. When I got my '91 VFR, I only used Havoline Dex-Cool (silicate free) coolant, and never had a lick of trouble during the 80,000 miles I put on that bike. That is what I will use when I do my first coolant change on the 'Busa.

Back