99-07 Front caliper compatibility

Dehning

Registered
I just wanted to post this info up in case others find it useful.

When I got my project 2003, it came with no brake components whatsoever. I bought all 3 calipers in separate sales off ebay. I fitted them and everthing worked great. A while ago I picked up a set of powder coated caliper bodies and finally got to fitting them this weekend. In the process of transfering the pistons and seals to the new calipers, I discovered that the new ones had fulid channels (to carry the fluid to the other side of the caliper) on both ends of the caliper, but one of my current calipers only had a channel on the one side. When I looked at the parts fishe I was surprised to discover that it is normal to only have 1 channel. I did a little research and discovered that the calipers I am running (with fluid channels on both ends) are standard equipment on the Kawasaki ZX12R. Even more useful is the fact that the Suzuki seals have to be purchased as a complete kit, but the Kawasaki ones can be purchased individually.

So:
  • ZX12R Calipers are a direct fit on the Gen 1 Hayabusa
  • Caliper seals for the ZX12R can be purchased individually
  • There is a second fluid channel on the ZX12 calipers.

I highlighted the fluid channels in the following photo:
suzkawcal.jpg

i wonder how much better they feel?

I would doubt they would feel much different, but the extra fluid channel should help equalize pressure around the caliper. I'm going to have to order another seal before I put everything back together.

Back