Chain and sprocket set for drag

BrianR

Registered
Hello all. I have a buddy who wants to start dragging his newly acquired 99 Busa. He says it now produces 280 horsepower to the rear wheel. After doing some research, I think the EK 530ZZZ is the chain we need for this application, but I'm not sure what sprocket. Supersprox looks like a favorite of many here.

My real question is about sprocket size selection. What are you drag racers running as far as sprocket size ratios and sizes? This Busa is going to be pretty much exclusively a track bike, so it doesn't need to be well rounded. We want the best setup for the 1/4 mile.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Brian

is it a turbo bike?

start with a 42tooth and see how he likes it. ZZZ are good, but there is also an EK drag specific chain.

He does have a Turbo, but it's currently not hooked up. I'll take a look at the EK website for the drag specific chain.

42 in the rear. How about the front? Should that be smaller?

Thanks.

:thumbsup:

Just start with the rear..its easier and some say it puts less stress on the engine and chain.

I have a 16t front and stock rear on my street bike...lots go 16/42.....just start with 42 in the rear for now and see what he thinks

With the kind of power he is running would not recommend going any smaller than a 17 tooth on the front. Would be better off for longevity to increase the rear sprocket, larger the sprocket on front and back the easier it will be on wear and tear for sprockets and chain. Also becareful if he has not upgraded the transmission output shaft to a heavy-duty billet one that will be a weak point with extra power.

With the kind of power he is running would not recommend going any smaller than a 17 tooth on the front. Would be better off for longevity to increase the rear sprocket, larger the sprocket on front and back the easier it will be on wear and tear for sprockets and chain. Also becareful if he has not upgraded the transmission output shaft to a heavy-duty billet one that will be a weak point with extra power.

Thanks Wolfman. Can someone confirm the stock sizes of 17/40?

Also, he is running a air shifter and its stretched. I forget what he said the stretch was, but I think it's 7 or 8 inches.

hit me up will get you setup right and with the latest technology chain and sprockets....

Back