HOW TO: Make a FUEL pre- filter. Help keeps the fuel system clean.

mike1180

Banned
I have noticed that members post a lot of problems that end up being dirty injectors, or some other fuel problems.
I figure there is only 3 ways to get dirt and corrosion into the system:
1. Rust from the inside of the tank deteriorating. (keep the tank full always and that one is fixed)
2. Dirt etc. getting into the tank past the fuel cap (keep the gasket good, and the lid closed and that one is fixed)
3. Dirty fuel going in when fueling up.
This one is harder to fix due to the gas station cleanliness (or lack of) where you fill up.
The OEM fuel filter will filter the fuel, but that puppy is small and can clog easily and is about $225..WTF!

So… I wanted to filter the fuel a bit before it goes into the tank, take some load of the OEM filter and make it last as long as I can.

First I bought some Market Grade Stainless Steel Mesh Cloth, 325 mesh count (325 strands per inch), wire diameter .0011 inches, opening between wires .0020 inches, which will filter out 51 microns (really small).
This stuff is really cool. It is so fine that it feels like fabric, not steel.

I wanted to make a tube filter that I could carry (small) that would fit into the gas tank and then the gas hose into it.

Here it is:

2 plumbing fittings from Home Depot $4 (the brass one is 1 ½ inch diameter)
Cut off the threaded part of the plastic one. This will be the part that holds the filter from going down and touching the inside of the tank.
I cut the brass tube down with a Dremel, and then 3 slots in the side to allow more flow when fueling.
Cut out a small square of the cloth. It cuts just like fabric cloth with regular scissors. The piece needed is about 8 inches square, (1 foot by 3 feet cost $20), so it is worth about $5, and now I have 3 more spare pieces.
Ty Wrap it over the tube.
Trim the edges and you’re done.
It seems to flow real well, and will do the trick just great.
When spring comes, (ha) I will post how much dirt it takes out, when I fill up.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

Pretty good idea man. Can you close the gas cap when it is in place? perfect that thing and sell them.:thumbsup:

So, where are you going to put that smelly thing beween fill-ups? Plus, it will be dripping fuel after you use it......I had one of those fill cuffs and no matter what I did or where I put it, it smelled like a fuel leak all day.

So, where are you going to put that smelly thing beween fill-ups? Plus, it will be dripping fuel after you use it......I had one of those fill cuffs and no matter what I did or where I put it, it smelled like a fuel leak all day.

If you were able to have one and leave it in the fill hole and be able close the gas cap on the fuel tank that would be the best.
:beerchug:

It won't stay in with the white ring on it, the cap won't close.
If you just used the brass part, you could leave it in.
It would rattle around a bit, but I think it would still be there.
It dries pretty quick when removed, and then in a Zip Loc and into the hump.
I like the idea of taking it out and checking it, just me.

Should be interesting to see how much crap you can prevent from entering your tank. Great idea, this is a worth while PM.
Which reminds me, I should check my fuel filter and show everyone what a season of fuel fill ups contains.

I think most would be shocked to see how much junk comes from gas pumps. I recently pulled my tank apart to modify it for turbo and after just 2 years there was a decent amount of sediment in the fuel pump bowl.

That is a good idea...to make it a leave in item you could take a piece of tig rod that is 1/8th inch or so...roll it around a piece of pipe larger that the fill neck (to make a ring)...fuse / tack the end closed...and then solder the mesh over it...and mass produce it.

Couldn't you just remove the bolts and gas cap all together, put the screen over the hole and bolt the gas cap back on?? ???

Back