Fueltech vs Holley vs maxx ecu

Dnyce

Registered
Is there anyone that’s done a legit comparison? I can’t find any, even if I look into the car world.

I know they all do the same thing basically, and everybody says use what your tuner wants, but if u take out the tuner issue, how do you decide?

Specifically the ft550, Holley dominator, or maxx ecu race. They’ve all been on fast stuff/reliable stuff so it doNt matter that dme uses one, top fuel bikes use another, Dustin lee uses another, but what are the benefits of one over the other in a turbo specific Hayabusa build?

I was ready to pull the trigger on a fueltech since they having a sale but after doing a lot of looking, I’m not so sure, leaning towards a maxx just because it’s cheaper and I can’t see anything else that differentiates them. None are made in the USA so can’t be patriotic, (plus the bike is from japan and the pistons and rods are german, revenge of ww2)

Am I right or wrong here? All the same poop? Or am I missing something? Drag race only bike btw

Just look for the feature set that you're after and pull the trigger. I went with a FuelTech FT550 as it had all the features I was looking for out of the box. Progressive nitrous control, wheelie control, traction control, touchscreen dashboard and the best support available anywhere period/full stip. Get with David liguori at dragbikesupply.com if you're looking for fuel-tech. He even has a plug-and-play harness that plug straight into the factory e c u connectors. What really made my decision easy was the support and the fact that fuel-tech is heavily drag racing oriented. Most of the fastest cars on the planet all use fuel tech, there's a reason, it works.

I got two quotes, so far maxx at $3300 or fueltech at $4200, have to compare and make sure that’s equal, I know fueltech requires an extra box for o2, maxx has it built in. Not sure on boost control, gotta research alil more. I’ll update as I go, eventually I’ll do a build thread lol

I hadn’t seen he had that! Nice-I have a gen 1 tho....Are the gen 2 and gen one connectors the same when it pertains to the crank sensor, gear position sensor and cam sensor?

I use megasquirt....none of the standalone ecu companies make any wiring plug and play for a ZX11....it does all the fuel tech does,but only costs $800....it doesn't come with a dash display....but I use my phone....I do want a dashboard though

Gen 1 and Gen 2 ECUs are completely different. You're better off ripping out the factory harness and starting from scratch anyway. Do it right the first time
Factory harness is gone already, it’s literally just the engine - but the crank sensor, cam sensor, it’s gen one stuff. Ligouri’s harness is prebuilt with gen2, he’s not answering(It’s the weekend basically, not complaining) so I’m trying to figure out if those sensors are the same plugs.

I generally agree however that particular harness is built by RSR (Ryan Schnitz Racing). He's arguably the best there is. Doesn't matter anyway, it won't work in this application. Without a stock harness you're starting from scratch anyway so just get the unterminated harness and get to work. David will provide you all the connections and fittings that you'll need for your gen 1 application.

Is there anyone that’s done a legit comparison? I can’t find any, even if I look into the car world.

I know they all do the same thing basically, and everybody says use what your tuner wants, but if u take out the tuner issue, how do you decide?

Specifically the ft550, Holley dominator, or maxx ecu race. They’ve all been on fast stuff/reliable stuff so it doNt matter that dme uses one, top fuel bikes use another, Dustin lee uses another, but what are the benefits of one over the other in a turbo specific Hayabusa build?

I was ready to pull the trigger on a fueltech since they having a sale but after doing a lot of looking, I’m not so sure, leaning towards a maxx just because it’s cheaper and I can’t see anything else that differentiates them. None are made in the USA so can’t be patriotic, (plus the bike is from japan and the pistons and rods are german, revenge of ww2)

Am I right or wrong here? All the same poop? Or am I missing something? Drag race only bike btw
Hi I went with the MAXX. It is the race H2O I bought it from Eric at DAS. I have talked with DME they think it is the best to use. I played $2000.00. I am running VP M1 I need the big money ignighter box $900.00 it does not come with a dash. I use an 8 inch tablet. I will look up ERIC's number and post it for you.

I got two quotes, so far maxx at $3300 or fueltech at $4200, have to compare and make sure that’s equal, I know fueltech requires an extra box for o2, maxx has it built in. Not sure on boost control, gotta research alil more. I’ll update as I go, eventually I’ll do a build thread lol
You can do all those do,for $800....with a ms3x...and I had no problem getting my connectors and wiring it all up....so just know ...you can do everything the expensive ones do,by doing it yourself.

Nothing against ms3xbut for what I want to achieve, not for me this time.l, I put one together using the same parts I would get from a maxx or fueltech and hit $2k... I’d gladly save up another $1k to do much less of it myself.

I have a few MaxxRace and 1 FT550 here right now I am messing with. I know the maxx much better than the FT. Ft is cool that the screen is the ECU, and the display is pretty nice, not super big compared to my digital dash but is nice and bright and can display shift light as the whole screen yellow with audible alert etc. The couple of times I have updated firmware on the FT it took a long time, last time took me almost an hour I think, so far with the Maxx it is usually 10 seconds or so.

For me personally the software on the Maxx is a little easier, mainly because I have more experience with it wiring some of them up the past year, so probably not a fair comparison.

The Maxx has a ton of flexability, I have a number of videos doing interesting things with them, like turning my stock speedometer into a boost gauge, or air fuel gauge etc., very flexible to do about whatever you want. Closed loop fueling works really well, I tuned my gen1 turbo busa sand rail in pretty easily this summer out at the sand dunes which is rough and bouncy, not the easiest to drive steady and smooth for tuning purposes in.

One downside would if you plan to run stock gauges the coolant temp and gear indicator (if a gen2) won't work. You would need to show these on an android device over bluetooth, or go with a tablet dash over bluetooth, or go with a digital dash that accepts CAN like AEM, or even my dash with a CAN adapter.

From a logging perspective, the Maxx can log up to 1000Hz, I think the FT is limited to 200Hz. This probably isn't a real concern, but faster if needed is nice. I do like that the Maxx has the wideband controller built in and not an add-on box, it's also nice that the FT is a screen too so give and take there.

This video shows the size of a FT550 powered up compared to AEM CD5/CD7, my dash, stock dash

Here is a video I put together showing some of the software on the MAxx for a race setup I wired recently

Here is a video showing the wiring on that same setup

Video showing a testbox setup I made with a Maxx but showing mdash on a tablet and how it looks

Rolling antilag in my sand rail, I assume you can do the same with Fueltech though not 100% sure

First gen1 busa prototype plug and play Maxx that I did a while back, remove stock ecu and up and running on a maxx in like 2 minutes
Plug and Play Maxx ECU on Gen1 Turbo Busa

MaxxRace running on my gen2 test bench early on when I started messing with them
Maxx Race Fun

Last edited:
Some random pics of Maxx and Fueltech stuff

20211030_163739.jpg

20211005_140349.jpg

20210707_162829.jpg

20210603_173227.jpg

20211028_213104.jpg

Back