Another Cheese Head gets a Busa :-)

That was on me as I wasn't clear...although I went that route with mine (re sprung (front and back), heavier oil and re-valved). It's a little stiff but handles like it's on rails...

Yeah, if it rails corners, it's almost always on the firm side, but I will take the good handling over smooth and less control any day too.
I thought I had read before that you had resprung yours.

Yeah, if it rails corners, it's almost always on the firm side, but I will take the good handling over smooth and less control any day too.
I thought I had read before that you had resprung yours.
I like the good handling as well but it can get a bit tiresome as I feel every crack on the road.

I changed out the struts on my Ram truck as well and I find it rides a lot rougher than the same truck my buddy has but it handles a load better and handles much better than his does...I rode with him one day and it felt like a boat going into corners whereas mine feels much firmer.

I like the good handling as well but it can get a bit tiresome as I feel every crack on the road.

I changed out the struts on my Ram truck as well and I find it rides a lot rougher than the same truck my buddy has but it handles a load better and handles much better than his does...I rode with him one day and it felt like a boat going into corners whereas mine feels much firmer.

Funny how that all works.
The firm suspension has me sore by ride's end too(elbows now especially) about 150 miles in, and closer to 200 by the time I'm usually back.
My F150 needed new rear shocks since day one, the rear end dances over washboards.
I need to put a different set on like a friend did on his, a night and day difference, which was hard for me to belive from just a pair of rear shocks.

Tires came in before the clutch, so off with the Shinkos w/o even riding them. I've done numerous tire changes on 1 liter bikes with zero problems. The rear tire on the Busa is a beast. It seems like there isn't enough drop in the center of the rim. I have a NoMar tire changing bar, with a modified cheap tire holder with a center bar to operate the NoMar. I think I'll take it to a shop next time. I still need to do the front, but those are always easy. Still waiting for the clutch from STG ... 9 days and counting! :-( The tires from Revzilla took 3 days.

I'm hoping to get the bike on the road before the snow flies! :-)
Even tho I'm late and you already got the clutch I'll give you a tip on dealing with stg that I learned by going in store since it's 4 miles from my work. When your on the website you'll notice a lot of things say in stock then others say in stock at stg, if it doesn't say at stg then that means they're ordering it from somewhere then waiting for it to get to them before shipping it to you and since covid got they've gotten real bad at filling orders quickly. Luckily for me being so close in able to go and pick it up same or next day as long as it's in stock at stg. Just hope this helps anyone that deals with them in the future that needs parts quickly.

That just occured to me and I went out to take a pic before your post came in. I think it does, but I wouldn't know any better.

View attachment 1641282
I've never been a fan of that spacer kit look but that's just me, many have used it with no issues altho i have seen a case or two where the top plate broke while being tied down with canyon dancers while they were transporting the bike. Depending on if you actually need/ want the risers you could easily remove them and go back to stock for a little more aggressive position or if you decide you don't like the look but do like where the bars are they make a spacer plate that does the same thing but is solid. I have helibars on my gen 2 which I believe puts then in close to the same positron and love those and they help me be able to ride with my back issues.

Thanks for your expert advise! I'll go over the forks entirely! I'm back to my phrase: trust no one! Even before your note, I've pushed it. Not to your standards, by my comfort zone. It's incredibly stable. I used to be able to tell how fast I was going just by the feel. Not with the Busa! I look down at the speedo and ... o-crap I need to slow down. I need a radar detector! (I'm sure there is a tread on that topic)
Great job getting it all sorted and on the road and like u said trust no one when it comes to a used bike especially one like the busa,it's always best to go over everything yourself that you can. I love that you took no time finding out that the old stories about a busa only being good in a straight line is false altho you see it does do that very well. Definitely a few discussions on radar detectors around here (along with about anything else busa you wanna know). I believe @fallenarch @c10 both use them so they might be able to give u some advise.

Radar is not allowed in VA so I use a Beltronics STI Driver, which is stealthy. It worked pretty well for a while until they started with the instant-on radars. Now they turn it on when they have you and when you get an alarm, it's too late. If you slam on brakes the first thing the cops ask "is where is the radar son?" That means there is no chance of getting out of it with a warning. LAser is kind of the same thing. Of course, we have to hide the unit so the laser is compromised but it does work- but again when you get the warning it's usually too late.

To be honest, ride your roads with it for a year or so and you start to learn how cops think and where they set speed traps. Now I just know a trap when I see one and I have no tickets on the Busa, ever. I have a couple of celebrated warnings but no tickets.

So to be honest I haven't been riding with the tank bag since I got the new paint job, so I don't carry it often. I use it more on long truck rides into states that allow radar.

I've never been a fan of that spacer kit look but that's just me, many have used it with no issues altho i have seen a case or two where the top plate broke while being tied down with canyon dancers while they were transporting the bike. Depending on if you actually need/ want the risers you could easily remove them and go back to stock for a little more aggressive position or if you decide you don't like the look but do like where the bars are they make a spacer plate that does the same thing but is solid. I have helibars on my gen 2 which I believe puts then in close to the same positron and love those and they help me be able to ride with my back issues.
Thanks. I did see that there is a lot of discussion on helibars. As from my tag name, I'm an old fart and was quite surprise how comfortable the bike was ... and then found out that I have risers. I'm not about to go back to a more aggressive posture. If anything, I'd swap out for something else. Thanks for the heads up on those risers/spacers and I'll keep tabs on them.

Upper body position is great, but I'm still struggling getting my feet on the pegs. It's a more compressed than most other bikes that I've ridden. I almost need to do a stretch before I get on the bike. Once I'm riding, I'm fine. It's the initial saddling that's a problem. It's an old fart problem.

Thanks. I did see that there is a lot of discussion on helibars. As from my tag name, I'm an old fart and was quite surprise how comfortable the bike was ... and then found out that I have risers. I'm not about to go back to a more aggressive posture. If anything, I'd swap out for something else. Thanks for the heads up on those risers/spacers and I'll keep tabs on them.

Upper body position is great, but I'm still struggling getting my feet on the pegs. It's a more compressed than most other bikes that I've ridden. I almost need to do a stretch before I get on the bike. Once I'm riding, I'm fine. It's the initial saddling that's a problem. It's an old fart problem.
You can get a set of drop pegs for it as well, there are several to choose from Knight's Design, Buell pegs and of course the Chinesium pegs from Amazon or ebay.

If you get even a 1" drop you will notice the difference.

You can get a set of drop pegs for it as well, there are several to choose from Knight's Design, Buell pegs and of course the Chinesium pegs from Amazon or ebay.

If you get even a 1" drop you will notice the difference.
Really?! I looked at the pipes and didn't think that would be an option. I'll have to check out the drop pegs. Yea, just 1" would make a difference.

Really?! I looked at the pipes and didn't think that would be an option. I'll have to check out the drop pegs. Yea, just 1" would make a difference.
I have Heli bars and Chinesium 1" drop pegs on mine and they work well together...

The Knight's design aren't cheap:

The Chinesium ones are ok, I have them and they've stood up really well.

The drop pegs make a nice difference on mine but I do put the stock ones back on when I'm doing a little more spirited riding.

Ok, I reluctantly have to ask. What other must have accessories do i need? :-) Is there an accessory to make a trap-door in the aerodynamic hump directly behind the seat. Maybe there is a DIY thread on this, but I couldn't find it.

Back