LED Comparision - Upgrade NOW!

InfiniteReality

Registered
Installed some "tower" type LED switchbacks in 2010 when I built the bike. I disconnected the running lights shortly after installing because I hated the blue/purple hue they put out. Didn't match my 4300K HID low beam. I had 1 rear signal/running light go out a couple weeks ago so upgraded while I was at it. When seeing how much brighter they were, upgraded the front signals too. HUGE difference, glad I did.

This is what I ordered.
2X 1157 High Power 760LM 2538 Chip LED Yellow Turn Signal Brake Light Bulbs | eBay
2X 1157 Projector High Power 2538 Chip LED Red Front Turn Signal Light Bulbs | eBay

Now I'm running 1157 (dual filament) bulbs, so unless you have changed your sockets to 1157, you will need 1156 bulbs like this:
2X 1156 High Power 760LM LED Yellow Amber Turn Signal Brake Tail Light Bulbs | eBay
2X 1156 High Power 5630 Chip LED Red Turn Signal Brake Tail Light Bulbs | eBay

Pictures:
IMG_1815.jpg

IMG_1816.jpg

IMG_1803.jpg

IMG_1809.jpg

IMG_1822.jpg

IMG_1828.jpg

IMG_1836.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've noticed in the mornings riding to work, when I hit my front signals I can actually see the amber light flashing on the ground in front of the bike while riding. Never noticed that with old bulbs. I do feel better about knowing people can see my signals easier and hopefully less chance of them doing something dumb.

Not sure, you'll have to look at the seller's other ones. I just have dual filament sockets for both front and rear so I could run parking lights and signals in amber in the front and the rear do parking lights and signals.

It's illegal to run amber parking lights here on the rear. Amber rear turn is ok but not running lights.

^ I'm pretty sure Louisiana is the same.

I "think" they make switchback LEDs that light up red running lights, but signals are amber. I haven't looked, but seems like I've seen them before. I'd check that eBay seller store, likely where I've seen them.

The downside to switchbacks is you only get half the amount of LEDs so not as bright as solid color 1157 bulbs.

I haven't mounted them yet, waiting to get the retrofit done first. I need to get on that, especially my fairings but playing catch up after 3 months of working nights it. Also plan to retrofit a new aftermarket LED tail light. I have the one that has a board of 80-100 of them, but it lays at a 45 deg due to shape of tail so light projects more up instead of back

I Ordered the the 1156 LED turn signal bulbs and the light sockets on my Gen 2 is different, the 1156's will not fit unless I change out the bulb holders. So to let all know before ordering the 1156 bulbs they do not work on a Gen 2.

I Ordered the the 1156 LED turn signal bulbs and the light sockets on my Gen 2 is different, the 1156's will not fit unless I change out the bulb holders. So to let all know before ordering the 1156 bulbs they do not work on a Gen 2.
You have to modify the sockets, they will work.

Thanks Ham. I saw that the sockets had to be modified for the 1157 switchback set up, but I don't remember reading that the sockets had to be changed out for the 1156 bulbs.

Back