Stock Tire Psi Opinions

craigmac

Registered
Running factory stock Bridgestone on a 2014. All street, curves and highway
What is a good front and rear psi setting?

:popcorn:You will get as many opinions as we have members on this one. I will vary mine depending on the ambient temperature and the type of writing I'm doing that day. Remember the lower the pressure the larger the contact point and the faster it will heat up, also the faster it will ware. That said, to give you a straight answer 36 front 38 rear is a base line for me.

Not worried about wear as I am looking to get through these tires to put on some good ones. Just looming for good grip vs handling.

I always ran just shy of 40 on the gauge, if riding two up I ran 40 on the rear.

Correct tyre pressures vary depending on your weight, suspension settings etc. Personally I run with 40/40 for the street, 32/32 for the track. If you find the recommended 42/42 too hard, just lower them a little at a time. I found 42/42 was a bit firm for my liking...

Factory proposals are just fine for me 42 42
I found the recommended 42 on the front made the steering feel really heavy and it didn't want to drop into corners so I dropped it back to 36 front and kept the 42 on the rear and it feels loads better but it may be that those are just the pressures that suit my riding style (if you can call it style :laugh:)

I found the recommended 42 on the front made the steering feel really heavy and it didn't want to drop into corners so I dropped it back to 36 front and kept the 42 on the rear and it feels loads better but it may be that those are just the pressures that suit my riding style (if you can call it style :laugh:)

That's some weird logic there, lower front pressure will make the steering slower, whereas you're explaining it the other way around?

Most of us solve (partly) the reluctance to tip in by moving to a 55 section rear tyre.

There are many folks that believe it is false economy to leave those tires on till they wear, and a moral sin to give those as new take offs to someone else, thus endangering them. :shocked: ............................. :bounce:

That's some weird logic there, lower front pressure will make the steering slower, whereas you're explaining it the other way around?

Most of us solve (partly) the reluctance to tip in by moving to a 55 section rear tyre.
Just my impression of how it felt caspernez, Ive always run 36 psi at the front but my tire fitter said the manufacturers now recommend 42 psi front and rear so that's what he put in. It didn't feel right to me so I reduced it to 36 in the front and she was back to her usual self. Maybe just what Ive been used too and I've never felt a reluctance for her to tip in until then. Each to their own I guess. :cool:

The more pressure you use the lighter steering you get AND easyer leaning.Also more confident braking.On the other hand more warming time and faster tire wear at the center

The more pressure you use the lighter steering you get AND easyer leaning.Also more confident braking.On the other hand more warming time and faster tire wear at the center

With higher psi you also get a much smaller contact patch(aka traction)with the road.
That little patch of tire on the road is the Only thing keeping the bike in control.
Sure it steers faster, but not more confident braking. Again, higher psi=less traction=worse braking than with lower psi.

Back