120/60/r17 Tires

RSXtypeS

Registered
I recently purchased a set of tires. By mistake I purchase the 120/60/r17 series instead of the 120/70/r17 series. I purchased the front and back tires online. MICHELIN tires. I have already been riding on the tires so I cannot send them back. I read the 60 series lowers the front of the bike by .50 of an inch. I like the look because I have the brocks triple tree as well. My question is this,

What your experience with running a 60 series tire instead of a 70 series on the front.

With same air pressure both have exact same contact patch. One is just a little squarer than the other.

They will both have the same contact patch due to the 120 width
If you have a 120/60/r17 vs 120/70/r17:
120 is the width on each in mm.
the middle number 60 vs 70 is the sidewall height. It is 60% of the width or 70% of the width.
r is for radial
the 17 is the rim/wheel size.

If we do the math on the middle number for the side wall we find:
60% of 120=72mm (120/60/r17)
70% of 120=84mm (120/70/r17)
these are the height of the side wall per tire.

your contact patch for the tire is still 120 mm wide no matter how you look at it.

overall I would rather have the tire that should be on the bike. if anything go with a wider tire not a different sidewall but if it is what you have on the bike then that is up to you.

Ok, same size contact patch then.
But still can't lean a shorter tire over as far as a taller one. And shape is different.
It's going to drag hard parts, or even the wheel lip, before the taller tire. Even if it's considered a small difference, it's still noticeable riding.

I'm not buying it. The lower the number the wider the tire.

Hey CBXer Sorry I didn't see this earlier to explain what I meant....
120 = the width, 50 or 60 = the aspect ratio meaning 50% or 60% of the width is the height so the 60 is a bit taller than the 50 so it would seem to have more sidewall. physics dictates it takes X square inches of surface area to hold up a specific weight so they both have the exact same contact area it's just the 60 would be a bit more rectangular (front to rear) and the 50 would be a bit more square.

Hey CBXer Sorry I didn't see this earlier to explain what I meant....
120 = the width, 50 or 60 = the aspect ratio meaning 50% or 60% of the width is the height so the 60 is a bit taller than the 50 so it would seem to have more sidewall. physics dictates it takes X square inches of surface area to hold up a specific weight so they both have the exact same contact area it's just the 60 would be a bit more rectangular (front to rear) and the 50 would be a bit more square.
Hi all. I love the 120/60/17! It lower the bike. On a ZX 11 in Fl. bikeweek 2000 my magnesium front rim split open all air out in split sec. It was on a curve at 85 MPH THE tire did not flop over it may have saved my life.I run them on all my sport bikes. I wish they would make a 120/50/17!

Back