Call To Action! Motorcycle Rider Protest At The Capitol - Friday 3/17 11am

Diva

Registered
From Brian Lange (Abate of WA - Legislative Affairs Officer)
CALL TO ACTION!! DEMONSTRATION PROTEST AT THE CAPITOL

With House Transportation Committee Chair, Rep. Judy Clibborn refusing to hold a hearing on SSB5378 (the Lane Sharing Bill), and with ABATE leadership approval, I am calling for a peaceful protest demonstration at the sundial between the John A Cherberg and John L O'Brien buildings behind the Capitol on Friday, March 17th at 11:00 AM.. This will put us directly below Rep. Clibborn's office. Feel free to bring hand held signs that read something to the effect of; "GIVE 5378 A HEARING", "FREE 5378", "LANE SHARING RELIEVES CONGESTION", "WSP SHOULDN'T CONTROL LEGISLATION", etc. Be creative, but not rude if you make a protest sign. you get the idea...whether they are just paper and felt pen signs, that is fine.

The goal is to fill that area with bikers below her office, make a few speeches, and get our message across that we are simply asking for 5378 to be heard in a public hearing. With only a quarter of the bills dropped in the Senate making it to the House, and no real opposition appearing among the committee members, we are stating our desire that the Chair hold a public hearing on SSB5378 asap.

SHARE SHARE SHARE!

ALL RIDERS, ALL MAKES, ALL MODELS, ALL WHO WANT TO MAKE OUR VOICES HEARD!!

From Brian Lange (Abate of WA - Legislative Affairs Officer)
CALL TO ACTION!! DEMONSTRATION PROTEST AT THE CAPITOL

With House Transportation Committee Chair, Rep. Judy Clibborn refusing to hold a hearing on SSB5378 (the Lane Sharing Bill), and with ABATE leadership approval, I am calling for a peaceful protest demonstration at the sundial between the John A Cherberg and John L O'Brien buildings behind the Capitol on Friday, March 17th at 11:00 AM.. This will put us directly below Rep. Clibborn's office. Feel free to bring hand held signs that read something to the effect of; "GIVE 5378 A HEARING", "FREE 5378", "LANE SHARING RELIEVES CONGESTION", "WSP SHOULDN'T CONTROL LEGISLATION", etc. Be creative, but not rude if you make a protest sign. you get the idea...whether they are just paper and felt pen signs, that is fine.

The goal is to fill that area with bikers below her office, make a few speeches, and get our message across that we are simply asking for 5378 to be heard in a public hearing. With only a quarter of the bills dropped in the Senate making it to the House, and no real opposition appearing among the committee members, we are stating our desire that the Chair hold a public hearing on SSB5378 asap.

SHARE SHARE SHARE!

ALL RIDERS, ALL MAKES, ALL MODELS, ALL WHO WANT TO MAKE OUR VOICES HEARD!!
I hear your call. Riders of New Zealand give you out voice

thats because its dangerous and stupid! exercise some common sense here. there is NOTHING safe about riding in-between 4000 lb. unguided misles with cages driven by teenagers who spend half their life texting while driving and drifting from lane to lane to clip you while ur "Lane-splitting"! so you want the LAW to now protect you?

heres a news flash the "LAW" will not protect you from incompetent teenage drivers and yes you may be "Right" in the eyes of the law if they passed such law and u were involved in an accident while splitting lanes but you will likely be "DEAD RIGHT" while doing so!

there is a VERY GOOD reason its illegal in every sate but Cali. wow you can save 5 minutes on ur commute to work woodie-f-en do! smh! its plain DUMB and ur law makers are well aware of that! unfortunately the government has to protect ppl from doing dumb things on a daily basis and lane sharing happens to be one of em.....

Last edited:
thats because its dangerous and stupid! exercise some common sense here. there is NOTHING safe about riding in-between 4000 lb. unguided misles with cages driven by teenagers who spend half their life texting while driving and drifting from lane to lane to clip you while ur "Lane-splitting"! so you want the LAW to now protect you?

heres a news flash the "LAW" will not protect you from incompetent teenage drivers and yes you may be "Right" in the eyes of the law if they passed such law and u were involved in an accident while splitting lanes but you will likely be "DEAD RIGHT" while doing so!

there is a VERY GOOD reason its illegal in every sate but Cali. wow you can save 5 minutes on ur commute to work woodie-f-en do! smh! its plain DUMB and ur law makers are well aware of that! unfortunately the government has to protect ppl from doing dumb things on a daily basis and lane sharing happens to be one of em.....

I guess there are different opinions here and while I respect yours, there are different ways to lane split also, being doing it at 5mph, or 35mph, approaching a full intersection, or doing it on an Interstate.

Just for info, I lived and drove a motorcycle in a different country for approximately 20 years, lane splitting sensibly and never had an accident, or even a close call lane splitting. Going to work by car would take me more than an hour every morning. On the bike, riding exactly the same route through busy traffic was normally done in 25 minutes, due to the ability to maneuver through mostly stationary traffic, or very slow moving traffic.

If you live out in the boonies, yes, you may not need lane splitting, but some of us live in places where the only suitable routes are through heavy slow moving traffic.

Over here drivers in general, do look (not wanting to damage their cages),some are total wankers, the riders who do get hit join through at massive speeds diving from side to side,as a rider and driver I see it all

Whilist I do agree it's putting your life in the hands of visually challenged caters,motorcycle riders having their own lane is a great idea,however the powers to be see us here as a nusense and wish us gone

what exactly is gonna be ur argument? or ur debate? u gonna say "pass this new law so we can save a few minutes on our commute daily"? cause bro thats all its gonna result in. their argument is gonna be u want to save a few minutes on ur commute at the risk of losing ur life or limb! the only thing you get out of doing that is TIME. thats it! hardly worth ur life to save a little TIME! smh

I have witnessed this numerous times in my career where someone gets up on the hi way with their motorcycle and splits lanes in heavy traffic and then someone decides they too don't want to sit in traffic so since they can't SPLIT lanes with this car they decide to exit off the hi way. the problem is their not looking when doing so and they certainly are not looking for or expecting a motorcycle to be in their way so they just GO..... and you get Crushed! ok, the cop gets there and sites the driver cause now there is a LAW to protect you. woopdie-f-en do!

the problem is ur DEAD or maybe now you wish you were cause ur mangled! so what good is a law that got you killed or maimed for life? listen, I've seen it at least 15 times in 22 years and each one is awful! ever see someone knee tucked up underneath a fender well after trying to split lanes and getting caught up under a truck tire? I have and its not pretty! splitting lanes in borderline STUPID!!! sorry if that offends anyone but common sense tells you that you don't operate ur motorcycle between 2 ton vehicles!!!!

and let me remind you of all the illegals that now have LICENSES!!!!!!!! yea..... they can't speak a lick of fukn English but they have a LICENSE!!! can't read English so how do they read street signs and exit ramp signs? they don't bro! this is no BS the last two ppl I have stopped for MV violation did not speak a lick of english! trying to tell this woman she needs to pull to the RIGHT side of the road not the left!!!! WTF the roads have never been more dangerous!!!!!!

so you wanna now operate ur Motorcycle in-between drivers that have no fuking clue as to how to drive cause they took the dam test in spanish!!!!!!! when was the last time u seen any street signs in Spanish? when I operate down the hi way I stay as FAR away from other cars as possible!!!! the very LAST thing I'm gonna do is put myself between two of them being FEET apart! its dangerous enough being 80 feet away from these idiot cagers so putting urself a few feet away from them and hoping they don't end ur life is utterly STUPID bro cmon....

I have no problem with lane sharing being passed, and it could be useful in certain situations.
California is not an arguement, they are their country...they even want it made official now.
Jellyrug, no disrespect, but your arguement is no good. It's clear with the statement "a different country".
This is the U.S. , the best, and most screwed up place on earth.
I have to agree with Brett.
The vast majority of drivers here, have no business near a car.
I am blessed with an awesome job in QC close to home for the past couple years.
It fell in my lap after several years of truck driving. I always wanted to drive one since I was a kid. So, in 06, I got my class A cdl.
Just the change of pace I wanted at that point in life. I really enjoyed it.
But, thanks to increases in technology, and a whole new generation of disconnected idiots, enough was enough.
My last couple years of driving was local, mon-fri, home daily, it was great...and, It became so frustraing, I had to quit.
I became tired of dodging idiots texting, reading books, newspapers, and things you must see to belive(you can see alot from the cab of a tractor trailer).
As a truck driver, you're guilty til proven innocent in an accident. Fortunately, I got out before having to experience that.
I also have been street riding bikes since before everyone owned a cell phone(over 20 years). If anyone here has not, I'm sorry, because you really missed out.
Don't get me wrong either, I'm no saint.
I've done my share of stupid stuff on 18 wheels, 4, 2, and alot on one.
Getting a drivers license here is a joke.
People care more about their social media status than the person they may kill.
There is a time and place for everything.
But, you want to trust your life to a new traffic law? Ha! While riding between cars and trucks!?
Think about how many law abiding riders are killed daily by others carelessness now...not riding between cars.
It's your ride, your life, ride how you want.
My ramblings are my experiences(with countless near misses not my fault).
As said, I don't care if the law is passed, but I think Brett is 100% right.

If you have a bike you should sell it right away. In heavy traffic, stop and go and gridlock, riding at a speed no faster than 15-20 mph between the cars is SAFER than risking being the motorcycle in a car bumper sandwich. Educating the motoring public that it is not only safer but it also benefits EVERYONE'S commute time is the key to 'allowing' bikes to share lanes safely.

If you have a bike you should sell it right away. In heavy traffic, stop and go and gridlock, riding at a speed no faster than 15-20 mph between the cars is SAFER than risking being the motorcycle in a car bumper sandwich. Educating the motoring public that it is not only safer but it also benefits EVERYONE'S commute time is the key to 'allowing' bikes to share lanes safely.

Also consider this; there really are drivers out there who hate motorcycles.
They will swerve to try and hit you, even if you have broken no laws or provoked them in any way.
They most always get fined for this...after they've mamed or killed you.
I do my best to stay out of heavy traffic on a bike. Watch my mirrors as often as possible.
And try to have an escape route in my head, moment by moment, come what may.
I'll split a lane, drive around cars, use the shoulder, whatever I need to do to distance myself from idiot drivers.
You can be the best rider around, have the law on your side, but eventually, especially with this generation, your luck will run out legally lane splitting everyday.
California is used to it(but they have their idiot drivers too). Europe and Asia are filled with crowded cities, that are used to it.
And us, this is Murika! ...they aint used to it.
Good luck with that.

Every thing you said is true whether or not lane splitting exists. Like I said, educating the public far in advance of the implementation of lane sharing is a must do. Of course, drivers have to be open to it and intelligent enough to understand the benefits. What doesn't exist, even in California, is any terrible statistic that indicates that hundreds of motorcyclists (or even dozens) are being injured or killed due to lane splitting.

Every thing you said is true whether or not lane splitting exists. Like I said, educating the public far in advance of the implementation of lane sharing is a must do. Of course, drivers have to be open to it and intelligent enough to understand the benefits. What doesn't exist, even in California, is any terrible statistic that indicates that hundreds of motorcyclists (or even dozens) are being injured or killed due to lane splitting.

No disrespect at all sir, but educating the public?!
Keep in mind that these are the same majority of idiots killing and trying to kill riders everyday(intentional or not).
And they're breeding!

Brett and i have had our differences here and there but this is one we totally agree on! Lane splitting is not the way to go. One only has to watch you tube to see the results. I dont want to hear it can be done safely as it can not. You maybe the safest rider on the planet but you absolutely can not control cagers. You can try to predict but do you really want to bet your life on your prediction?

I have no problem with lane sharing being passed, and it could be useful in certain situations.
California is not an arguement, they are their country...they even want it made official now.
Jellyrug, no disrespect, but your arguement is no good. It's clear with the statement "a different country".
This is the U.S. , the best, and most screwed up place on earth.
I have to agree with Brett.
The vast majority of drivers here, have no business near a car.
I am blessed with an awesome job in QC close to home for the past couple years.
It fell in my lap after several years of truck driving. I always wanted to drive one since I was a kid. So, in 06, I got my class A cdl.
Just the change of pace I wanted at that point in life. I really enjoyed it.
But, thanks to increases in technology, and a whole new generation of disconnected idiots, enough was enough.
My last couple years of driving was local, mon-fri, home daily, it was great...and, It became so frustraing, I had to quit.
I became tired of dodging idiots texting, reading books, newspapers, and things you must see to belive(you can see alot from the cab of a tractor trailer).
As a truck driver, you're guilty til proven innocent in an accident. Fortunately, I got out before having to experience that.
I also have been street riding bikes since before everyone owned a cell phone(over 20 years). If anyone here has not, I'm sorry, because you really missed out.
Don't get me wrong either, I'm no saint.
I've done my share of stupid stuff on 18 wheels, 4, 2, and alot on one.
Getting a drivers license here is a joke.
People care more about their social media status than the person they may kill.
There is a time and place for everything.
But, you want to trust your life to a new traffic law? Ha! While riding between cars and trucks!?
Think about how many law abiding riders are killed daily by others carelessness now...not riding between cars.
It's your ride, your life, ride how you want.
My ramblings are my experiences(with countless near misses not my fault).
As said, I don't care if the law is passed, but I think Brett is 100% right.
As a fellow truck driver, (25 yrs, about 2 million miles worth) I know exactly what you are talking about with the insanity on the American roads. The invisibility of a giant truck to the general public is astounding at times. However, in my opinion this topic is no different than many other "nanny state" laws that are forced upon a "free" society. If I choose not to wear a seat belt, I'm a law breaker. If I choose not to wear a helmet, I'm a law breaker. If I choose to smoke marijuana instead of drink whiskey, I'm a law breaker. I'm not promoting any of these activities in any way, nor am I promoting lane splitting, just suggesting that people should be allowed to make their own choices rather than have the state tell them what's best. All of that being said, it should only apply to personal risk not a public risk. Just imagine how many people would be more than happy to take our toys away based on the danger and stupidity argument... Live and let die...

LOL, I think most of the contributors here do not really know what "Lane Splitting" means.

It does not mean:

On the interstate, doing 70mph.
In the city, while traffic is moving at posted speed.
Both the above qualify as reckless driving on a motorcycle.

It means:

Approaching an intersection, or a traffic congestion, where there are several stationary vehicles waiting for their chance to move, sometimes longer than 1/2 mile and a motorcycle carefully moving in between two lanes only, at a speed perhaps a bit faster than walking. This should be encouraged, rather than a traffic offence, as it helps clear congestion.

Brett and i have had our differences here and there but this is one we totally agree on! Lane splitting is not the way to go. One only has to watch you tube to see the results. I dont want to hear it can be done safely as it can not. You maybe the safest rider on the planet but you absolutely can not control cagers. You can try to predict but do you really want to bet your life on your prediction?
Please don't interpret this as me trying to be contentious, merely expanding on my post on this topic. Replace "lane splitting" in your post with "fast motorcycles", and I think it becomes clear that what one person considers foolish is felt to be quite normal to someone else. Just food for thought...

My daughter does this every day of her working life on a CBR600. The last time I visited her, we were stuck in traffic in a rented VW, while motorcycles were moving through in between lanes. When I told her in the US this is not allowed, she asked why. No matter how hard I tried to explain it, she did not understand. Where she lives, driving is crazy, 10 times worse than here. Just saying...

Back