Looking For Suspension Upgrade Advice

AndyDucati

Registered
Hello guys and girls. Today I have begun the journey to rebuild my suspension. I thought about sending it off to race tech but they are closed right now so no quote. I know if money were no problem to just buy ohlins and be done but I'm not balling like that unless anybody has something for a reasonable price. I'm torn between racing and sport touring setup. I intend on building a turbo engine but it will still be a street bike. What are your experiences with suspension tuning?

I've had excellent results with GP Tech in Auburn WA.
They are racers and have supported the sport for years.
I have 2 sets for my Gen II, a track day/street set and a lowered drag race/LSR set
http://gpsuspension.com/
Both ends for a little over $900.00.
Not Ohlins quality of course but for a quarter of the cost of full Ohlins kit not bad.

I'll look them up. I want a track setup but I ride mostly on the street. Not drag racing. There are videos of ghost rider on YouTube. He's on a turbo bike and it looks stock wheel base. That's what I'm going for. Just not sure if he's stretched out or stock.

...What are your experiences with suspension tuning?
So Andy, what did you get in the end? I'm looking for the same thing. I've done Brembo brakes and the turbo is being fitted.
Next thing is a correctly sprung shock with ride height adjustment and remote preload adj.

What's the best value for money shock for a Gen 1? Uk/European answers are very welcome as shipping and addede tax make US stuff quite expensive

If my bike doesn't sell this weekend. I'll be parting it out.

Full Ohlins front and rear. It's coming off an 2011 Hayabusa. Set up for a 220lb rider.

I haven't done he Ohlins shock but I sent mines off to Trac dynamics and had it revalved. Haven't hit the track with yet but I've been causing havoc on the streets. It hooked way better then I ever expected.

Big E you have any pics of the front and rear set up?

New lowering links and swingarm from Boosted Cycle Performance.

IMG_8774.jpg

Hello guys and girls. Today I have begun the journey to rebuild my suspension. I thought about sending it off to race tech but they are closed right now so no quote. I know if money were no problem to just buy ohlins and be done but I'm not balling like that unless anybody has something for a reasonable price. I'm torn between racing and sport touring setup. I intend on building a turbo engine but it will still be a street bike. What are your experiences with suspension tuning?

Andy; So what did you end up with? Inquiring minds want to know!!!

So Andy, what did you get in the end? I'm looking for the same thing. I've done Brembo brakes and the turbo is being fitted.
Next thing is a correctly sprung shock with ride height adjustment and remote preload adj.

What's the best value for money shock for a Gen 1? Uk/European answers are very welcome as shipping and addede tax make US stuff quite expensive

I have an Elka rear shock on my supercharged Gen 2 and it works great, had it set up and the standard front forks revalved and re sprung by Kais near Manchester and they set it up to stop the back end squatting under power and it all works a treat. I had an Ohlins rear on my K5 Gixxer 1000 but to be honest it was too hard for the street and I prefer the feel of the Elka tbh. I'm sure they will do a rear shock for the Gen 1 and even with P n P it was a good price.

I was running the SU046 rear Ohlins and the Ohlins 30mm cartridge modified to suit standard gen2 forks . I had these items sprung for my weight , 250lb bare ass , (which is why I needed to upgrade in first place ) and set the sag and tuned with professional advice / help . The benefits were both felt and appreciated straight off , with my bikes very much improved composure over notably rough sections of my favorite winding roads . Have since updated to the SU026 Ohlins rear and FGRT208 fork and have found this set up more of the same , with bonus weight reduction , overall and unsprung . Would reconmend this sort of Ohlins investment to riders looking at longterm Busa ownership , or Busa track weapon , or if you just require the best suspension package for both road / track day combination .

DSCF1179.JPG

DSCF1274.JPG

DSCF1232.JPG

With a higher horsepower bike you don't want to long of a swingarm. You will fight to get traction. I would go longer then 8 inches. Longer swingarm will make the bike handle like a bus and won't be ideal for hitting twisties. You get a cheater arm that will help some. Well maybe. You will want to something good to help limit boost per gears. That will help fight wheelies. Make the bike more controlable. With a turbo that bike will be more front end heavy so make sure when your doing the forks you consider the extra weight you added on to the bike.

Back