Bike Is A Beast!!

Slicing Air

Registered
Hello all, bought a 2001 blue/silver Hayabusa with 16k miles last week and drove it home 4 hours at night and let me just say, this thing is a BEAST, damn thing is so fast and i haven't even gone above 6k rpm :banana:Any ways I have a couple of questions/problems if you guys dont mind answering.
1) one of the bottom bolts of the stator cover i think leaks a couple of drops everytime I ride the bike. Any idea how I can fix this? P.O. said to put like a thread sealer or special tape on the bolt thats leaking.
2) clutch lever is very heavy, is this normal? My palm starts to get cramps whenever im not in neutral and for some reason I stall alot when I split lanes slowly and lights turn green very embarrassing. :banghead:
Any idea if thats my fault or the bikes?
3) can the 2001 version get derestricted and go over 186?

4) checked the glass oil gauge when bike was level and it was empy!!! Also was thinking about taking the bike to dealer couple streets down to change oil because i cant take fenders off. Dont bash me on this but Is ok to ride a couple of miles to dealer without adding oil since its going to get changed anyways? And last question but can i change oil filter without taking off the fenders lol thanks in advance and sorry for noob questions. :thumbsup:

Stator should not have oil in it, is the left or right side leaking? You may have heavy duty springs in the clutch ,that will tighten up the clutch quite a bit. When you check the oil, do you stand the bike up straight or leave it on the sidestand? It should be standing straight up. Why can't you take the fairing off the right side to change the oil?

Hello all, bought a 2001 blue/silver Hayabusa with 16k miles last week and drove it home 4 hours at night and let me just say, this thing is a BEAST, damn thing is so fast and i haven't even gone above 6k rpm :banana:Any ways I have a couple of questions/problems if you guys dont mind answering.
1) one of the bottom bolts of the stator cover i think leaks a couple of drops everytime I ride the bike. Any idea how I can fix this? P.O. said to put like a thread sealer or special tape on the bolt thats leaking.
2) clutch lever is very heavy, is this normal? My palm starts to get cramps whenever im not in neutral and for some reason I stall alot when I split lanes slowly and lights turn green very embarrassing. :banghead:
Any idea if thats my fault or the bikes?
3) can the 2001 version get derestricted and go over 186?

4) checked the glass oil gauge when bike was level and it was empy!!! Also was thinking about taking the bike to dealer couple streets down to change oil because i cant take fenders off. Dont bash me on this but Is ok to ride a couple of miles to dealer without adding oil since its going to get changed anyways? And last question but can i change oil filter without taking off the fenders lol thanks in advance and sorry for noob questions. :thumbsup:
Common issue if brake fluid is dirty , usually change every 12 months.try that and see how it goes .

Here is the bike, the left side is leaking Im not sure if its the stator or not but i remember the P.O. said it was something magnetic? I took a picture of the part that was leaking and of the oil gauge, the bike was completely straight at this point my friend is holding it up. Also I don't like to take the fenders off because I feel like am going to not put it up properly and or lose some bolts. Thanks in advance...

20170108_183515.jpg

20170108_183805.jpg

20170101_164037.jpg

You need to put some oil in her. Great looking bike by the way. There are plenty of videos on removing the fairings, don't be scared to do some simple maintenance on her yourself. There is something very satisfying about wrenching on your bike.

Welcome aboard and congrats on the new ride!! I'm with nosbig, search for info and videos and do the oil change yourself. Is not that hard.

Welcome to the .org! I would try to top the oil off before taking to the dealer. Pretty simple and no need to remove anything.

Technically you could (wouldnt recommend it) change the oil (only) without pulling the fairings. To change the filter though you gotta pull the right side fairing off to get at the filter. Just be careful not to lose any plastic rivets or scratch up the nose piece with the hidden metal nut inserts on the upper edge of each faring lower when renoving. Enjoy!

Yeah good point bigoltool. I suspect you might get more oil leaking if there was more oil in the bike. In any event get oil in her right away. I thought the left side was the clutch? If so there is oil in there and that might be a gasket. If you have oil in the stator side something else is wrong. In any event you need to have the bike checked over good by a trusty mechanic. There are some pretty knowledgeable guys on here so they will chime in soon.

You have to have the bike standing up level to check the oil using the site glass, it will look just like that on the stand. Aftermarket stator cover. Might have reused the gasket. I'd take it to a dealership to get it squared away.

Lot's of good advice, the pics really help tell the story so when you can post them up to help us see what you see.

Welcome to the org.

Also get a new gasket for that couch cover. My gen 2 allows me to take the belly wing off and split the faring to get to the oil filter. It is the can conveniently located between the header pipes that are about that same temp as the sun.

Several members here have has both gen 1 and 2 bikes so they will correct me if I am wrong but the general one appears to be easier in the faring removal departmentioned.

FYI gen 1 99 - 2007
Gen2 2008 - present.

Also you are right about the bike being a beast.

My brother (rides a gsx 1100G) took mine for a spin and reported the following.

"I was on the on ramp and hit the throttle, I almost sucked out a filling. I looked down and saw I was only in 3rd gear. What are the other three for anyway?"

I told him the 4 thru 6 are good for going to jail.

Welcome to the org.

Also get a new gasket for that couch cover. My gen 2 allows me to take the belly wing off and split the faring to get to the oil filter. It is the can conveniently located between the header pipes that are about that same temp as the sun.

Several members here have has both gen 1 and 2 bikes so they will correct me if I am wrong but the general one appears to be easier in the faring removal departmentioned.

FYI gen 1 99 - 2007
Gen2 2008 - present.
^this! I was glad a I ordered a gasket. Before taking the clutch cover off to replace my gear position sensor. Even though I was being careful, the gasket tore a little and had to use the new one. I researched and heard both ways. Guys being able to reuse the old without any damage to it and others , like me, tore up and had to be replaced.

Also you are right about the bike being a beast.

My brother (rides a gsx 1100G) took mine for a spin and reported the following.

"I was on the on ramp and hit the throttle, I almost sucked out a filling. I looked down and saw I was only in 3rd gear. What are the other three for anyway?"

I told him the 4 thru 6 are good for going to jail.

*Edit*
4 thru 6 are good for keeping you from going to jail

Back