Nothing To Do Snowed In!

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
Reading an article about why racers are all hanging the leg out as they turn in, a habit started by Rossi. Article says no one knows why it works it just feels good. Well it seems to me that counter steering only works with 2 wheels on the ground. The effect of the counter steering makes the bike fall opposite of the direction the bars are turned because the bike is balanced on the 2 wheels. Under hard breaking the rear wheel is lightened or off the ground completely, minimizing or eliminating the effect of counter steering. The bike essentially becomes a unicycle for a few seconds. So hanging a leg out moves the bike+rider CG to the turn-in side of the bike helping to start turning the bike. Just a thought.

Sticking a leg out acts like an airbrake (As fitted in modern supercars) ... Imagine the force if you stuck your arm out of a car window at 100mph holding a 2ft square board (Approx area of your leg)... Probably snap your arm.

Sticking a leg out acts like an airbrake (As fitted in modern supercars) ... Imagine the force if you stuck your arm out of a car window at 100mph holding a 2ft square board (Approx area of your leg)... Probably snap your arm.

I don't think the leg means that much difference air break wise. Just sitting up is plenty air break. Never forget doing that the first time doing 150+, nearly yanked me off the back of the bike!

I don't think the leg means that much difference air break wise. Just sitting up is plenty air break. Never forget doing that the first time doing 150+, nearly yanked me off the back of the bike!

I Dunno ... Even if it makes 0.5% difference in lap times it's worth it in MotoGP.

We were snowed in too, ended up binge watching:

FASTER
FASTER & FASTER
FASTEST
The Doctor, The Tornado & The Kentucky Kid
Hitting the Apex

.........talk about wanting to ride! All great documentaries, all worth watching if you haven't. :race:

I'm a Guy Martin fan myself. Was gutted when he left racing. Met him in 2009 at the TT. Cracking good laugh.

Michael Dunlop is a hell of a racer, his style is akin to David Jefferies .... Looks out of control constantly.

Reading an article about why racers are all hanging the leg out as they turn in, a habit started by Rossi. Article says no one knows why it works it just feels good. Well it seems to me that counter steering only works with 2 wheels on the ground. The effect of the counter steering makes the bike fall opposite of the direction the bars are turned because the bike is balanced on the 2 wheels. Under hard breaking the rear wheel is lightened or off the ground completely, minimizing or eliminating the effect of counter steering. The bike essentially becomes a unicycle for a few seconds. So hanging a leg out moves the bike+rider CG to the turn-in side of the bike helping to start turning the bike. Just a thought.
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...THZ-PV4WLUMK-86dA&sig2=N89Kw61pQdXNGf38rnDPfg

This is where they have picked up the habbit.

Last edited:
Gk1 nailed it. I think it is the result of so many riders focusing on dirt/flat track training to build their skill, feel and confidence. It is incorporating the leg out for feel/balance and frankly doesn't hurt for clearance either... not educated enough to get into a conversation about drag co-efficient, but Rossi brought it in from dirt bikes and it hit big so now the training and the form are rampant throughout racing... just my .02.

I'm in Florida, so i don't know what leaning even feels like, but i love watching those kids flying through those dirt tracks and (in my ignorance on racing matters) always associated Both. To me, is like they are using a flesh and bone "feeler" like the ones that are mounted on our footpegs, but bigger scale.

Back