Std Head Bolts Limits?

pxr5

Registered
Just been reading about stock busa head bolts being ok on a 400bhp streetmotor? sure good surfaces, gaskets & installation is key, what will the stockers handle? ( I thought up to 300? )

Just making sure it wasn't my thread you were reading. If so, the motor was using APE at 400 before the rebuild and will now use ARP. I would fully expect stock studs to let go well before 400hp.

Just been reading about stock busa head bolts being ok on a 400bhp streetmotor? sure good surfaces, gaskets & installation is key, what will the stockers handle? ( I thought up to 300? )

If you've gone through the hassle and expense of building a motor, why skimp on good head studs at that point?

I never reuse factory head or main bolts. I've had way too many stretch and not torque properly. If you start pushing head gaskets all the time and you're using stock bolts, you'll know why.

I had a Busa with stock rods that made about 290. The problem is that when rods arent up to the jobs you'll lose the head gasket. Big pain in ths butt to swap those out. Or, it will lose coolant and you might warp a head.

Last edited:
I had a Busa with stock rods that made about 290. The problem is that when rods arent up to the jobs you'll lose the head gasket. Big pain in ths butt to swap those out. Or, it will lose coolant and you might warp a head.
I can tell with a great degree of confidence that stock bolts will stretch at 270-280 rwp given enough time (under 1 year) or with a hint of pre ignition (detonation at high rpm) and then the head gasket will go and the head itself will warp.
I know from experience.
Chris

I know the frustration. You think all is good and then you smell coolant, and then its time to tear down the motor, then the head is warped.

I can tell with a great degree of confidence that stock bolts will stretch at 270-280 rwp given enough time (under 1 year) or with a hint of pre ignition (detonation at high rpm) and then the head gasket will go and the head itself will warp.
I know from experience.
Chris
We had 20k mikes on our shop bike with stock pistons and rods marking 320hp with a RCC stage 2 ultra. Pump gas all the time.

We had 20k mikes on our shop bike with stock pistons and rods marking 320hp with a RCC stage 2 ultra. Pump gas all the time.
It can be done but not all gas station sell the same stuff especially outside US.
What i am saying is that the stock head bolts will not tolerate any abuse especially on a hot 40+ degree Celsius day with the ambient air even higher.
Chris

Back