Upgrades And New Issues

Heath Morris

Registered
In the beginning of December I started tear down of my 2013 busa for some upgrades and let the oil drain up until about a week ago when I put it back together. My issue is the book says I think 3.7 liters of oil with filter change or something like that. I have put 5 full quarts of redline full synthetic 10w40 in my bike and it is just at the low level on the sight glass. Is this normal? My second issue is the exhaust I put on is held together by springs is it normal for condensation to leak out at start up? There is what appears to be water under the bike but only for a few min after start up and I can't find any likes anywhere. And lastly I added a bit to much Engine Ice coolant back to the system in the expansion container it is about a quarter inch above the full line should I drain the excess or is it fine?

Is your bike up on stands? If so you will not get an accurate oil level reading. It is normal for the exhaust to be held with springs. You can put some hi temp copper sealant at the joints if you think it needs it. You will have condensation especially this time of year if your some place that gets cold. If you have to much coolant in the reservoir then the bike will overflow what it doesn't want. If you went to engine ice I hope you flushed out the entire system well with distilled water before you put in the engine ice.

Is your bike up on stands? If so you will not get an accurate oil level reading. It is normal for the exhaust to be held with springs. You can put some hi temp copper sealant at the joints if you think it needs it. You will have condensation especially this time of year if your some place that gets cold. If you have to much coolant in the reservoir then the bike will overflow what it doesn't want. If you went to engine ice I hope you flushed out the entire system well with distilled water before you put in the engine ice.

Yes the bike is on stands but even on when its on the ground the oil level is still low. And yes I flushed the coolant system with distilled water several times before adding engine ice.

Yes the bike is on stands but even on when its on the ground the oil level is still low. And yes I flushed the coolant system with distilled water several times before adding engine ice.
What do you mean the bike will overflow? If it overflows aint that what the drain hose is for on the side of the reservoir?

Also should the oil level be between the levels at operating temp or when cold or both? I rechecked and with on the ground and it was to full then I drained some got it just below the full line then started it and now its barely on the low line maybe even slightly below it. Is this ok?

What do you mean the bike will overflow? If it overflows aint that what the drain hose is for on the side of the reservoir?

Yes that is what the hose is for. That is what I ment. Sorry for the confusion. As far as oil level goes you are holding the bike upright when you check the level. Not trying to imply you don't know what your doing, but sometimes we forget the simplest things.

There has been countless people that couldn't get their bike to start because they forgot the emergency kill switch.

Yes that is what the hose is for. That is what I ment. Sorry for the confusion. As far as oil level goes you are holding the bike upright when you check the level. Not trying to imply you don't know what your doing, but sometimes we forget the simplest things.

There has been countless people that couldn't get their bike to start because they forgot the emergency kill switch.
I was holding it upright and it was to full so I drained some and it was perfect until I started it and while running the bike level is right on the low level or just below. Is it ok to run it like that?

You may still have a bit to much in it. If you can see the oil level with the bike running your crank may be hitting the oil. It should be between the marks after the oil has settled when you turn the bike off.

So with the bike running I should not see any oil in the sight glass only when the bike is off and the oil has settled back to the bottom? Just so I am clear on this. I really appreciate all the help.

Between 3.5 to 4 quarts is fine.
I always used 3.75
3.75 will fill to top line of site glass.
3.5 will fill to bottom line of site glass.
4 quarts will completely fill site glass.
Many people here have ran 4 qts for years with no issues.

I found out that you can overfill the oil on this bike pretty easily regardless of a oil filter change or not I now put in 3 litres than top up bit by bit and get it on the line perfectly on the sight glass :thumbsup:

I found out that you can overfill the oil on this bike pretty easily regardless of a oil filter change or not I now put in 3 litres than top up bit by bit and get it on the line perfectly on the sight glass :thumbsup:
Yea I seem to put to much in or not enough. But I think I got it figured out now and I'll just keep a quart on stand by in case it needs it more.

Back