Third Wheel Trailer Shock Upgrade

FlatlandBusa

Registered
As some of you know I pull a third wheel trailer instead of carrying luggage on the bike for the wife and I. It has been a great addition to the Busa for trips but the damping of the suspension has always been lacking. After 2 years and 5000+ miles I finally decided to do something about it. The stock shock is just a twin tube oil filled affair which doesn't perform at it's best when in the horizontal position on the trailer, particularly on very rough (Nebraska) roads when heavily loaded.

DSC01044.jpg

After spending some time researching options, I settled on this one. It's a gas charged mono-tube.

http://www.scooter-speed.com/products.php?2443&cPath=56_69_608

IMG_20160613_143057402-800x600.jpg

Installation was a simple bolt and go, however I had to remove a couple washer shims as the mounting points were very slightly wider.

I just returned from a 50 mile test ride on the roughest roads I could find, with approximately 70 pounds in the trailer and damping is far better. Stability through very rough corners is very good. Even when going over rail road tracks and the ramps to bridges which are rough enough to require standing on the pegs, the trailer remains settled without any of the bouncing it had previously exhibited.

Most importantly the severe high speed vibration the trailer suspension experienced at 70mph+ is gone. This vibration couldn't be felt in the bike but is very visible and both my trailer and my brothers exibited it. This vibration was approximately 1 inch of movement at the tire and was eratic in frequency and checking and rebalancing the tire did nothing for it. Now everything is smooth and settled to 90+.

IMG_20160613_152436268-800x600.jpg

I always wondered how it would feel to ride a busa pulling a trailer around. I think I would be too afraid to even try it. Lol!!!

Is the hitch a u-joint affair so the trailer leans independent of the bike? How many revolutions does that tiny wheel turn vs the bike's? Doesn't it heat up on long rides?

I always wondered how it would feel to ride a busa pulling a trailer around. I think I would be too afraid to even try it. Lol!!!

Most of the time I don't even know it is back there. I can feel the trailer moving around when I get around trucks on the interstate or if I'm not smooth with the corners.

Is the hitch a u-joint affair so the trailer leans independent of the bike? How many revolutions does that tiny wheel turn vs the bike's? Doesn't it heat up on long rides?
The trailer leans with the bike at the same time it can move side to side and up and down independently of the bike.

I have shot the trailer tire with and infrared thermometer, it is always cooler than the motorcycle tires. The tire is rated over 500 lbs and there is less than 100 on it.

Back