MotoGP

IMO - that was because of his tire choice...changing from the Extra Hard to Hard at the last moment. I think he would have run away with the win had he stuck to his original tire choice. The media is spinning it as "Rossi makes up 5 secs" etc. to win...making it sound like Rossi was so fast. Like you said, MM93 is the fastest out there right now. I think his tire choice made him run slower...allowing Rossi to catch up. I'm not trying to take anything away from Rossi, he's a great rider - I just think the media spin is wrong. :2cents:

Anyway - it will be interesting to watch the season...

From what I read, they decided to do that because they knew Rossi was faster on the extra hard, so they made the last minute decision to go with the hard, try to make a huge gap and manage the rest of the race...

In theory it worked great, just the race was a bit too long :)

Stoner's never been off the GP bikes because he's been on contract to the Honder GP development team. So - while not "razor" racing sharp I wouldn't expect him to be out of form at all.

BTW - All this talk with MM being too agressive; maybe, but Valentino has always excused his aggressive riding and mostly gotten away with it because - well - he's Valentino. The one and only time he really was held to account was when Yahama publically critcized him for almost wrecking his teammate and GP leader Jorge Lorenzo. I think MM's racing style is cut directly from the Valentino racing cloth. You need to be on the front and passing motocycles to get there to be number one and MM, JL, CS and VR have all "stuffed" thier share of riders to get there.

P.S. I'm sure it was said here somewhere, but you could see MM's tires going, and fast...he should have saved 'em the best he could to avoid crashing anyway :whistle:

Signed,
A Marquez fan :p

Regardless, it sure made for a great race! :)

Vabs, if you haven't been watching Motogp long, you need to go see the Epic pass that MM put on Rossi (and the significance behind it) at Laguna Seca 2 years ago :)

Vabs, if you haven't been watching Motogp long, you need to go see the Epic pass that MM put on Rossi (and the significance behind it) at Laguna Seca 2 years ago :)

I'll look for it! I started watching just last year, so nope, haven't seen that one. Thanks!

OK, I found it...so, in 2008 Rossi knocked Stoner off in the corkscrew and he barely went off the course there, then MM comes along in 2013 and goes WAY off track in same spot to take top spot from Rossi...that sum it up? I could only look at a few clips :laugh: MM, riding off road on the Honda, like a pro :lol:

:rofl: You're welcome...hey, it's very OLD news at this point :p

It's an oldie but goodie... and just another example of Valentino being "aggressive". Stoner lost that race and cemented his reputation as a "cry baby" because he complained about the "god" like VR's aggressive behaviour on the track.

OK, I found it...so, in 2008 Rossi knocked Stoner off in the corkscrew and he barely went off the course there, then MM comes along in 2013 and goes WAY off track in same spot to take top spot from Rossi...that sum it up? I could only look at a few clips :laugh: MM, riding off road on the Honda, like a pro :lol:

Yes, that would be IT....Both of those are EPIC passes :)

I didn't say it wasn't a problem, but that fearlessness gave him the championship last year, along with a ton of skill riding that Honda. It also landed him in MotoGP earlier than any other kid before him. He stands out, and not many can argue that point.

I don't think Marquez is stupid; if he were, he wouldn't be where he is now, however there's something to be said for being a more seasoned rider. Just like in street riding or having track experience, those of us that have ridden for a while can give some pointers to those younger riders out there that think twisting your wrist as hard as you can or walking up to the counter at your local bike shop and asking "how do I get a knee down" isn't exactly the best way to learn to ride :banghead:

Marquez didn't see the forest for the trees on Sunday. Eye on the prize would have been to ride his ride, keep his lines and save that bike for a podium finish over trying too hard to win that coveted top spot. That's the difference between he and Rossi on Sunday. And from my limited MotoGP experience, Marquez doesn't have a ton of experience here, racing in the last laps for the win. He walks away with 4+ seconds on the rest of the field and just takes the top spot. Hopefully he learned something on Sunday - it would have been far better to finish that race than to have tons of snapshots of you and your Honda lying on its side with Rossi heading in for the finish.

:2cents:

I never meant to imply that MM was stupid. However what he did Sunday wasn't too smart. Probably because of lack of experience.
Yet he has more experience then I ever will have, and I assume MOST of us on this forum. He's in a different league.

The rest of what you said - I agree with ^^^^^.

And like others have said it appears to be all or nothing with him.
Sooner or later he needs to learn that 2nd place (or God forbid even 3rd place) is much better then not finishing. Time will tell if he learned that on this past Sunday. :whistle:

Just remember this: The slowest rider in the field is faster than anyone any of us knows....

Just remember this: The slowest rider in the field is faster than anyone any of us knows....

Hell! the guy's running in Moto3 on 250's thumpers are about on par with MotoAmerican SuperSports and are qualifying higher than the back end of the SuperBikes.

It still hurts though! I still cry every year during the Superbowl remembering the Steelers beating the Cowboys in the Superbowl in 1978!

I can top that Willie! I was 7 years old, living in Denver where my beloved Denver Broncos were going to their first Super Bowl. Denver was completely over run with Orange Crush fever. I remember seeing orange Ford Broncos, hearing all the buzz, everyone was so thrilled, backing our home team, then they fell hard to the Dallas Cowboys. I still have my Denver Crush t-shirt to remember that fateful day :cry:

:lol:

DenverCrush.jpg

MM didn't make a drama about the incident.
Going by his own previous form perhaps he was best not to...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back